Budgie Desktop Available For Testing

To further facilitate the development of Evolve OS, I reach out across the interwebz and ask you, the curious, to give Budgie Desktop a spin.

For openSUSE 13.1, and Fedora 20, please install via OBS

I’m aware of an unofficial AUR package, but do not know if it works or is maintained. Feel free to comment if it does 🙂

Many features are either missing or not working massively well, but you can now logout, etc, from the desktop and use it. I don‘t recommend it yet as a daily driver due to missing integration with sound, network systems and media keys.

Many thanks go to Matias Linares, who helped at the very last minute last night to get task selection working properly in the new icon tasklist.

To get involved with development, jump over to the GitHub repository!

Feel free to leave comments below, or on G+ as usual.

Screenshot from 2014-02-17 22:02:42

1. fenuks
    February 19, 2014 20:42

AUR package works. I’m rather fan of Qt-based DE but as always I am curious new desktop environments. BTW, nice wallpaper.

• ikeydoherty
      February 19, 2014 21:00

I’m glad its working now! Thank you for testing, curiosity is always a good thing I feel 🙂
      Cheers, that one was preinstalled here on Fedora 20, quite attached to it I have to admit 🙂 Somehow, really works well with the look of the desktop

2. Arilas
    February 19, 2014 22:24

White Screen, cursor, and … nothing. I’m using Fedora 20 with Gnome Shell as default DE. I’ve check, gnome-session-daemon.desktop and file exists.

• ikeydoherty
      February 19, 2014 23:20

Yeah becoming quite an issue, compiling the schemas, I’m missing a postinst in the OBS package (fixes accepted, busy :)) I will get round to it when I can get on the other machine.
      What UI issues? Remember this is like, pre-pre-pre-alpha 🙂

• Arilas
        February 19, 2014 23:31

Bottom panel placed slightly higher than necessary, something like 5-8 px upper then real bottom. On your screenshot i’ve see correct placement.

• ikeydoherty
          February 19, 2014 23:38

Well, its likely to be a bit different on my machine, this is where I’ve built and tested. It is actually in the README.md file regarding static sizing and positioning, so it is a known issue. Potentially theme related too.

3. neiL
    February 19, 2014 23:54

apologies noob here, downloaded and installed but how do i start/switch into the budgie desktop?

• ikeydoherty
      February 19, 2014 23:57

Just to be safe, run this command before trying (dodgy packaging issue, my apologies)
      sudo glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

Then just choose Budgie Desktop in your session chooser (login screen)

4. Don
    February 20, 2014 01:12

Hello I would like to ask what about indication of which aps are already running in background for example like in win 8 mockup or chrome os

• ikeydoherty
      February 20, 2014 01:25

Well, the icons you see on the panel are the running tasks. Right now it hasn’t got pinned launchers, so that hasn’t been implemented yet. Anything you see, is running. Once I add support for pinned launchers, then I’ll have to implement something like this to differentiate between launchers and running tasks 🙂

5. February 20, 2014 05:39

I would like to test this on my Debian if it’s possible, it looks really good 🙂

• ikeydoherty
      February 20, 2014 11:43

Thank you @alperdurukan:disqus 🙂 Unfortunately it requires GNOME3.10, and I think its only in experimental :/

6. GreenGuy
    February 21, 2014 15:21

Like fenuks said, i’m also more a QT-based DE’s fan, but i’m also very curios about new things – specially DE – and will test it asap.

About improvements, i have, however, a question: Will there be a graphic way of upgrading the system?

OpenSuse does allow to upgrade a system from terminal using “zypper dup” command (allowing migrate from 12.3 to 13.1, for example). But the Ubuntu way is pretier, since the user gets an alert and never has to get to the console and do it “manually”.

This way the user don’t get spooked by action and the system is kept updated

• ikeydoherty
      February 21, 2014 15:27

Oh I’m totally with you there. Like I explained on my google hangout, just because I’m a geek, and know *how* to do these things… doesn’t mean I want to 🙂
      I’d much prefer a graphical mechanism that took care of these things for me.

• GreenGuy
        February 21, 2014 15:43

Well that’s pretty much what i feel!!! And I’ve also performed A LOT of system upgrades on OpenSuse, but… how will i recomend this action to my noob friend that never even eard of Linux in it’s entire life?! (If i do, he will be forever stuck everytime a new version comes out, until I perform the upgrade)

I always had a faited heart by openSuse and OpenSuse-derived-distros, but “other” linux users keep saying that ubuntu is better if it is to be recommend to noobs because:

a) it has a software center (this is on the way for all gnome distros (opensuse included and so i supose evolve will have it too) and

b) it performs distro upgrades withou scaring the user and in a way everyone can do it.

And, i do have to agree that in this 2 points they’re right…

so, can we wait for such a tool in the near future for EvolveOS / openSUSE?

• ikeydoherty
          February 21, 2014 19:29

With any hope yeah, I’ll need help with designing it 🙂

• GreenGuy
            February 24, 2014 13:44

That’s great news. 😀 I would like to help but my knowlodge of programing is very limited (i know a bit of C++, however – and a few other languages – but i guess i don’t know enough to help.). 🙁

7. dtoebe
    February 21, 2014 19:14

This looks absolutely gorgeous. I am running openSUSE 13.1 KDE. Are there any known issues installing this along side KDE?

• ikeydoherty
      February 21, 2014 19:20

Thank you 😀 I guess just the failures of itself? 🙂 Remember its way early days, expect everything to go wrong! ^^

• dtoebe
        February 21, 2014 19:27

Well I am at work now so it sounds like a great time to test it out. I’ll do a quick install and report back. Also from what I’ve read on other sites you are building a distro around this DE, is it going to be openSUSE based?

• ikeydoherty
          February 21, 2014 19:29

Thanks 😀 Remember to do the glib-compile-schemas thing, otherwise it’ll bomb first start (and set a wallpaper using gnome-control-center, or via dconf-editor.. etc)

8. Fabricio Vale
    April 06, 2014 14:12

great guy … simple and elegant … work your idea is fantastic …
    Congratulations …

9. Yhal Htet Aung
    April 20, 2014 20:26

There are so many Ubuntu users, so can you please make it for Ubuntu? budgie-desktop RAM usage is same as lxde usage, so people will try to choose it 🙂

10. DavidHollinger
    December 10, 2014 05:55

Anyword on a Fedora rpm that will be updated for Fedora 21?