All your drums are belong to us

All your drums are belong to us

It’s been a while since we’ve spoken here, the Solus team have been incredibly busy bringing you all kinds of awesome! But.. nobody told you about it. Well, time for some first hand news then! Remember, you can grab the latest daily ISO over on our download page.

A release date..

Yeah we decided one of these would be kinda handy. We used to have one, but then we hit these things called “setbacks” and “renames”. So, we’re announcing our new release date for our final version of Solus Operating System 1!

October 1st, 2015 โ† burn this into your eyeballs. You’ll want to remember this.

We’ll be releasing a new roadmap very soon, but you can be assured it has all the kinds of awesome you’re looking for, like integrated backup management, automated driver management, a refurbished software center with appstream integration, installer with automatic assistance, partitioning, LVM, encryption, and all that funky goodness your work laptop needs. There’s all the usual stuff like hardware enabling to come, support for various network types (mobile broadband, anyone?), and, well a few secret nuggets of awesomeness that will be announced separately ๐Ÿ™‚

Solus v1 will be supported for 2 years. Solus v2 will be released 1 year after Solus v1, supported for 2 years, and well, you get the idea. You’ll be able to upgrade from v1 to v2 without a reinstall, so don’t worry yourself about that stuff.

Some recent updates

Everyone likes new things, right? Well we’ve been getting a lot of software updated lately, but realised we hadn’t really told everyone.. Well, far be it from me to miss an opportunity to brag a lil’.

• Linux Kernel 4.1.4
  • Firefox 39.0.3
  • LibreOffice

We’ve also made a few security updates lately

• WebKitGTK+ updated to 2.8.5 – addressing multiple security concerns
  • libxml2 – patched CVE-2015-1819
  • libidn updated to 1.32 – addressing multiple concerns in older versions
  • kernel – addressed CVE-2015-5697

Some obligatory mentions for other packages we also have:

• rust 1.2.0
  • Atom 1.0.5
  • Telegram 0.8.48

Hardware enabling + kernel changes

We’ve done a huge bout of hardware enabling recently, ensuring the most recent (and some buggy HID) devices work. We’ve enabled a bunch more I2C touchpads and touchscreens, sensors, etc, to the extent we now have Solus working properly on the Asus Aspire R7, and even have initial support for the Surface Pro 3 (touchpad not yet functioning on this device, WIP). We now support a wide range of hardware, even very new GPUs (Broadwell working, and Broadwell+ an active target).

We did some further optimizing in the kernel, and decided to switch from the CFQ I/O scheduler to BFQ by default, for improved I/O performance. Given all of our recent toolchain hardening (with realtime binary analysis happening to flag packages not yet compliant), which will make us only too happy to move back to the SLUB allocator, in combination with our NOHZ PREEMPT kernel, performance will only continue to improve for all users alike.

Soon we’ll begin to ship thermald in our images by default for users of Intel machines, another nice comfort barrier to ensure the systemย doesn’t overheat.

Some recent changes

In addition to some of the other cool stuff we recently adopted from the Clear Linux Project for Intel Architecture, we recently adopted some more! All of our packages are now being rebuilt to ensure they are built with full RELRO (relocation read-only), and full stack protection, amongst other toolchain hardening changes. Additionally, we’ve begun to deprecated insecure SSL ciphers. We’ll be expanding this across the rest of the project; you can read more about why this is important, and why it should happen, in this Google+ post by Arjan van de Ven. With these continued changes and improvements, we’re constantly improving our project.

Sooo… what can we expect?

Ah ok, got me there ๐Ÿ˜‰ We’re continuing to optimize the entire distribution for desktop use, something we can do as we’re an independent project. We’re making tons of improvements to provide you with a highly optimized desktop operating system, built specifically for x86_64 machines. We’re going to ensure that you’ll be happy to use this system for the next 2 years, and you’ll be comfortable in our hands. The OS will keep out of your way, but do its job when it’s supposed to. How a desktop OS should be, and not having to worry about all the implementation details (sudo whatnow?)

If it sounds a lot like we’ve somehow decided to compete with other projects, well, that’s mainly because we have. Friendly, of course.. but competition nonetheless ๐Ÿ™‚

Shut up and show me the screenshots

Apart from the wallpaper, this is the default appearance of the latest daily ISOs, using the amazing Arc GTK theme. (And you just know we have the latest version.)

1. August 10, 2015 22:36

That is seriously frickin’ awesome!

• ikeydoherty
      August 11, 2015 01:28

Lots to happen yet ๐Ÿ˜€ We went with Firefox 40.0 and LInux kernel 4.1.5 shortly after this post was made :]

2. Justin Brown
    August 11, 2015 02:04

Oooooh lookey, they’re talking about you over in the elementary community. I think they fear your beauty. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• August 18, 2015 07:36

Fear? What are you talking about? The elementary community and Solus community are friends, with several members in common.

• Justin Brown
        August 18, 2015 15:26

It was a joke. Relax guy.

• August 19, 2015 09:42

Of course it was! ๐Ÿ™‚ Really, they’re the kind of people who would celebrate the release of another beautiful distro.

• ikeydoherty
            August 28, 2015 07:26

Beauty is a side effect of good design, its not our primary aim to be aesthetically pleasing :]

• August 28, 2015 18:44

Well said ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Anthony Hunt
    August 11, 2015 03:31

This is excellent news! I look forward to installing this on all of my computers. Thanks for all the hard work.

4. Jamin Fernandez
    August 11, 2015 04:48

5. PPK
    August 11, 2015 05:36

I’ve been observing the progress of Solus for a long time. Budgie desktop is the reason. I’ve tried Budgie in Manjaro distro. Budgie desktop is standing on the shoulders of a giant … GNOME. Except the light-weight ‘Budgie Shell’ (Can I call it so ?), Budgie does not have any separate apps other than GNOME’s original apps. So, it will get all the great features GNOME developers are introducing in a phased and steady pace, like gtk pop-overs etc. One can use all the native GNOME apps like ‘Files’, the wonderful IDE ‘Builder’, etc as much natively in Budgie too. This is the main reason why I like Budgie. I feel this is a great approach and I hope Solus developers won’t divert away from this. Any contributions as patches/fixes should be made upstream directly. That way this project stays promising for a long time.

• ikeydoherty
      August 28, 2015 07:28

Thank you. That’s exactly our aim, integration into the GNOME stack. Think of it as a different window looking onto the same room.

6. Merijn Hendriks
    August 11, 2015 14:52

This is amazing!. I’ve been following this project for a while now, and really can’t wait until its released!. The only question that I would like to ask is, if there will be a “non bloated” version (no Firefox, LibreOffice, etc.) of the OS.

Keep up the good work! n.n

• ikeydoherty
      August 11, 2015 15:03

Stock ISO doesn’t include LibreOffice, and firefox is simply one package to be removed. I hardly call it bloated, the ISO is around 700MB usually..

7. August 11, 2015 15:39

8. Jared
    August 12, 2015 08:23

I just saw the news. Welp. And here I was downloading the 712MB Solus_Beta2.iso just earlier with an old .torrent – Thanks for the news, gang!

Edit: I believe that I watched the “original” EvolveOS video (Google Hangout posted to youtube) when you guys were talking about Material Design, and what not. So it’s very nice to hear about Solus and having a release date to be excited for!

• ikeydoherty
      August 12, 2015 14:05

Ah how long ago that was @disqus_JAQsBkNEf2:disqus! Yeah that was a bit of a non-starter, as sadly most that I liaised with did not return, or decided to isolate themselves in silos creating their *own* things.

We jumped off the material design bandwagon some time ago, as it wasn’t making sense for us. We’re happy to adopt *concepts*, but we’re not going the full mile with MD. And looking at the screenshots, I think most would agree we look better for it.

• Jared
        August 14, 2015 04:47

The joys of Disqus screwing up…

Well I heard about the project. Once I heard that it was an EvolveOS “reboot” (for lack of a better term) and I immediately scoured the internet for this very site. Nice to see everything going well for you guys!

Here’s to release! *Raises invisible wine glass*

9. Derek Willian Stavis
    August 12, 2015 13:41

Beautiful browser. Is it stock Firefox or it’s using a custom theme?

• ikeydoherty
      August 12, 2015 14:04

Stock Firefox. We build it with GTK3, unlike most distributions, so it integrates very nicely with our GTK3 theme (Arc) ๐Ÿ™‚

• Derek Willian Stavis
        August 12, 2015 14:11

Awesome result. I’ve been using Firefox GTK+3 since it appeared on AUR. I like GNOME Integration pack, but after seeing this screenshot I decided to reset it to defaults, as I use Arc theme over GNOME, but my Firefox default theme still looks broken when using Arc-Dark. Firefox 42 here, tho.

• Justin Zobel
          August 26, 2015 02:38

The developer of the Arc GTK theme has also released a Firefox Arc theme, should check it out.

• Derek Willian Stavis
            August 26, 2015 13:54

Using it since day one. Now it looks awesome!

10. Andrew Nielsen
    August 12, 2015 15:08

Hey Ikey…..I know it’s been awhile since I last posted about the unstable daily ISO, but this latest one from the 9th of this month….I downloaded, made a usb image, (no, not with unibootin either), went to boot from it and I get a: vesamenu.c Not a 32R Image or something to that effect. I’m doing this on a Dell Latitude D820/2.33Ghz Core2Duo Intel/4GB Crucial/320GB Samsung HDD/nVidia NVS 120M 256MB….any thoughts, suggestions?

• Justin Zobel
      August 26, 2015 02:38

What did you use to create it? Jump in IRC or post on the forums and we’ll work it out.

11. Jamin Fernandez
    August 13, 2015 05:25

Solus OS need to change Arc Theme for sometime different …. so many black all around make me feel sad.

search another Artwork, please ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Justin Brown
      August 13, 2015 18:41

Personally I love the dark theme. I can’t stand everything being so bright eveywhere else. That makes me sad.

• Justin Zobel
      August 26, 2015 02:40

Install another theme?!? It’s not rocket science damnit.

• ikeydoherty
      August 28, 2015 07:27

1) “Solus”, not “Solus OS”
      2) Opinion. :]
      3) Psst. It’s not black.

12. supersungin
    August 13, 2015 20:36

13. Patrik Andersson
    August 14, 2015 04:14

Good news!! Hope there will be some raw photo apps in the repos!)))

• Justin Zobel
      August 26, 2015 02:37

I’m working on LightZone and Darktable, any other suggestions?

14. OttoHa
    August 15, 2015 11:46

What do yout mean with “funky goodness your work laptop needs”.
    What do Laptop users miss at the moment?

• ikeydoherty
      August 28, 2015 07:27

I said “work laptop”, not just “laptop”. So VPN support, and other enterprise goodies.

15. August 18, 2015 07:45

Telegram and Atom? I’m sold.

By the way, thanks for the release date. I have always wanted to find a fix for my WiFi not working on Solus, and of course contribute it back, but I kept procrastinating. Now I have a deadline.

16. Sarfaraz Ahmad
    August 28, 2015 07:17

if you guys were writting an entire shell or a linux desktop for that matter, then i still dont get why you went with bloatedgnome 3 over QT5/KDE5/QML its much lighter weight snappy easy to program with. I would love this kind of finish/polish on a QT5 desktop. GNome 3 is slow on even laptop hardware that is 3-4 years old.

• ikeydoherty
      August 28, 2015 07:25

We’re using the GNOME stack, not GNOME 3. It’s fine to have an opinion, but yours is actually invalid. You have zero substance to your statements and not the slightest evidence, and making comparisons of unrelated techs. Way to go.

• Sarfaraz Ahmad
        August 29, 2015 04:33

i am not developer so i cannot compare Gnome stack/libraries with others. Now that you have mentioned it. Mate 1.10 built with Gtk3 is actually good. So the api and the performance out of a shell or desktop environment could be unrelated. Lets hope Solus covers most of the ground that it talks about gradually. I would like to see a nicely finished, feature-rich linux desktop that doesnt get in the way. I like how this page covers various granularities. Waiting for Oct 1.

17. RedT
    September 12, 2015 23:57

Hello Solos Project
    you have the ultimative Chance to Switch me from Windows to Linux since Windows 10 seems to have Problems with the yoga 3 11 (at the moment).
    Just make it fully functional with all needed Drivers (Windows 10 dosnt disable the Keyboard in stand mode and the Rotation lock key doesnt work same as Rotation at all) and a nice tutorial about how to install it withoud an optical Driver ( I didnt install Linux since uefi and I dont know how this matters).
    Is there a browser for Linux which haves a seamless zoom like the edge browser (Im a Firefox Fan but instead of making real improvements Mozilla just gives me yet another update which changes the gui and breaks addons).
    annoying sry for bad english line

18. September 16, 2015 05:59

Hello, I have just discovered Solus via the Wikipedia page that lists operating systems. There it claims that Solus is Linux based (I understand it uses the Linux kernel) but is not a Linux distribution. Is the Wikipedia page correct? What exactly does it mean that it is not a Linux distro? I am of course excited at seeing any alternative OS and, I must say, Solus looks really attractive.

19. Lรผcas Rillgner
    September 29, 2015 00:10

Awesome, distro like a OS X. This version is Daily or Beta 2?

20. October 02, 2015 11:55

2nd October……..impatiently waiting for the 1.0. All the best.

21. October 02, 2015 11:59

My Only option is Chromixium or Solus……trying chromixium on HP mini now……still waiting for solus 1.0

22. Ben Opp
    October 04, 2015 16:02

So how about that release? On my calendar it’s 4th of Octobre!