Welcome to the 16th installation of This Week in Solus. This is the first installation since the great 1.0 release, which happened last week, as well as being the first of 2016! I opted to not have three blog posts in the span of two days last week, that’d be a tad excessive.
Fast forward a week and things haven’t slowed down at all. We have gotten plenty of new package requests, bug reports, and issued fixes for hiccups users have had along the way.
There has been three updates released for the Budgie desktop since the v10/10.1 release (we’re currently on 10.2.2). Here are some highlights:
- Budgie is officially supported via OBS for Fedora 23 and openSUSE.
- Partially fixed issues relating to notifications from Mumble.
- Resolved an issue where Firefox would not appear in panel.
- Resolved issues with Raven rendering when using a bottom panel.
- Respect and follow screen resolution changes
- Resolve sizes of x11 tray icons.
- linking/portability issues on other distributions
- Use unique desktop name (XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Budgie:GNOME)
- We ship our own nm-applet .desktop launcher until we have our own network settings
- Replace polkit-gnome dependency with our own new budgie-polkit.
Alongside all these improvements and fixes, we asked our community to assist in translating Budgie into other languages via Transifex and we’re absolutely blown away by the contributions.
Budgie is now 100% translated into the following languages (not including English):
- Dutch (Belgium)
- French + French (France)
- Portuguese + Portuguese (Brazil)
- Spanish + Spanish (Argentina)
There is also progress being done on languages such as Swedish, Tagalog, Catalan, and more! Absolutely massive thanks to everyone that has contributed so far.
- We have enabled crypto optimizations in the kernel.
- Wacom support has been improved. It is now configurable in Gnome Control Center.
- Printer detection support is working. We are currently addressing a printer filter issue and an issue regarding the communication between CUPS and the printer, so printer support should be coming soon™.
Known Issues and Reminders
- Some users are having issues with booting the ISO. We posted a workaround here. We’re hopeful that the issue will be resolved for Solus 1.1.
- Reminder to read this thread if you’re having issues with Steam.
Here is a highlight of package updates over the past week.