User1

How to play/control media from DLNA servers?

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi there!

I did not find any solution using the onboard software nor installing some new app to get my media played that is served from a QNAP NAS and a RaspberryPi with KODI. Controlling on which device it should play should also be possible.

As what I figured out so far it should work by default using Rhythmbox and its preinstalled grilo plugin but clicking "look for new devices" doesn't find anything.

Is there something I miss-understand? Can't imagine I'm the only one interested in this...

User1

Re: How to play/control media from DLNA servers?

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:50 am

Oh really? No one interested in this topic?? :roll:

stuie

Wed May 16, 2018 12:59 pm

i think you need a controller i did a quick search and found this https://github.com/masmu/pulseaudio-dlna

hope that works for you.

User1

Wed May 16, 2018 6:33 pm

stuie wrote: i think you need a controller i did a quick search and found this https://github.com/masmu/pulseaudio-dlna

hope that works for you.
I already tried that but with no luck

stuie

Wed May 16, 2018 11:19 pm

I managed to get it working no problem on my networked amp. But I am running Ubuntu and there is a deb file.

If you have it all set up and make instal done.

Install pulseaudio volume control

Just open terminal and type "pulseaudio-dlna" leave the window open and open pulseaudio volume control and your dlna devices should be there.

Are you using the budgie desktop with another distro or solus?

User1

Thu May 17, 2018 2:09 pm

So I tried again (maybe I remembered wrong). Installation is simple as pulseaudio-dlna is available in the software center.
Installed also pavucontrol and now I have what is seen on the guide on github.

So ok. It recognizes my Pioneer receiver but not my OSMC/Kodi installation on my RasPi. Don't bother right now.

But one important thing is missing:
How to play media that is served by my NAS and/or Kodi on local network by UPNP/DLNA?
Didn't manage to use any program that ships with Solus for this. Although some have the options to scan network devices...

User1

Thu May 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Amazing! I figured out how to get it working with Rhythmbox and Video player:

I just installed the Gnome Music Player and after that my NAS and Kodi servers appear in both programs!
I tried more and result is that dleyna-server and dleyna-connector-dbus are needed for this to work (they come with Gnome Music Player).

I guess this is a bug somehow because as everything I read is that at least Rhythmbox uses the Grilo plugin for discovering media servers. Never read anything about dleyna.

So far for me now this is kind of working now. Except I can only control/play to my Pioneer receiver and not Kodi with pulseaudio and I have to run pulseaudio-dlna in terminal before this. I guess there is a workaround for this, right? Like starting pulseaudio-dlna like a service on Windows?

stuie

Thu May 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Brilliant. I'm glad you got it working.

The Kodi and pi I'm not sure Kodi could be in the settings somewhere.

If your server is connect to kodi box or pi and is connected to the amp then just skip out Kodi and connect to the server directly via rhythmbox and play that way.

Connect to the server via shortcut into you music folder on desktop and rhythmbox should automatically pick up the music for you.

Tramalol50

Fri May 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Try google with "mini DLNA" for Qnap, and/or Linux. It's very small server that can be remote controlled with an android app. BubbleUPNP is really good for that. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... upnp&hl=fr

my setup in BubbleUPNP :

stuie

Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 pm

If I'm playing from my server to my amp I will use my phone as a remote with the official amp app but I have used bubble upnp before and I liked it. I don't use desktop to control music unless I have my headphones on.

The amp app can control the full amp not just the server side so it's really handy.

Each to their own. I'm not sure what user1 is trying to do but that could be an option.

*Edit*
Minidlna would be awesome on the raspberry pi that a cool piece of software. Perfect for a server.
Good Shout Tramalol50.

Return to “Multimedia”