ErcVitez

How to play midi files?

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi!
I installed OpenTTD (software center) and there is no music. I trying to play the downloaded midi files in Rythmbox, Audacious and VLC but no luck. Seems the OS doesn't decode this type of files.
I installed fluidsynth but no luck.
Any idea pls? Thanks.

Robotmike

Re: How to play midi files?

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Generally and afaik (not an expert for this), the OS isn't responsible for "decoding". The intention was to load a soundfont into the soundcard, and a midi command executes something on the soundcard hardware to play a note. In early days you have had a hardware midi port on each soundcard, something similar to a serial interface with a sub-d connector.
Windows always did an emulation when playing midi, from the earliest beginning. So it was relatively simple for the user to play midi files. But in Linux you have to do the soundfont thing. FluidSynth is a software synthesizer, so I guess it does the emulation part. Sound processing works different today.
I downloaded a *.sf2-file (a soundfont) and placed it in .local/share/soundfonts, and started fluidsynth from commandline, with the soundfont as parameter, and passed a MIDI-File directly to fluidsynth successfully:
fluidsynth .local/share/soundfonts/mysoundfont.sf2 mymidi.mid
and that worked fine.
But I was unable to use a graphical interface for fluidsynth so far. Some hints are highly appreciated.

Donut

Re: How to play midi files?

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:51 am

There are many ways can play midi files? don't you know? for example
OnlineSequencer.net is an online music sequencer that allows you to play midi files online.
Step 1: Click “Import MIDI” button on the top menu to load your MIDI file into the online MIDI player.
Step 2: After choosing MIDI file and then click “continue” to enter a new interface. Next, choose different instruments for tracks.
Step 3: Click “Previewing/Import” and then you will see the detailed MIDI data.
Step 4: Click the yellow button to start to play MIDI file.
Well, these words are copied from http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti ... layer.html if you are interested in it, you can take a look

Return to “Multimedia”