testmonkey

How to restore lost taskbar?

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Every few days, I seem to get into this situation where the taskbar at the bottom of the screen is simply replaced with my desktop background. The Start hotkey on the keyboard then does nothing. And the hotkey for Raven stops working. And the clock disappears along with everything else on the taskbar.

Sounds like a bug to me. All I want to do is make it come back without having to power cycle via the command line.

kyrios

Re: How to restore lost taskbar?

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:19 pm

testmonkey wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:06 pm
Every few days, I seem to get into this situation where the taskbar at the bottom of the screen is simply replaced with my desktop background. The Start hotkey on the keyboard then does nothing. And the hotkey for Raven stops working. And the clock disappears along with everything else on the taskbar.

Sounds like a bug to me. All I want to do is make it come back without having to power cycle via the command line.

Code: Select all

budgie-panel --reset --replace &

testmonkey

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:18 pm

kyrios wrote:

Thanks for that. I take it this is just a workaround in the absence of a root cause? (Not that I don't appreciate it!) What exactly does that do?

kyrios

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:53 pm

testmonkey wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:18 pm
kyrios wrote:

Thanks for that. I take it this is just a workaround in the absence of a root cause? (Not that I don't appreciate it!) What exactly does that do?

For the root cause, I'd have a look at the journal logs just when it happens and see if you can find something:

sudo journalctl -b --reverse
Regarding the budgie-panle command, simply check the help!

$ budgie-panel --help
Usage:
  budgie-panel [OPTION…] - Budgie Panel

Help Options:
  -h, --help               Show help options
  --help-all               Show all help options
  --help-gtk               Show GTK+ Options

Application Options:
  --replace                Replace currently running panel
  --reset                  Reset the panel configuration
  --display=DISPLAY        X display to use

testmonkey

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:32 am

It took longer than expected to happen again, but it just did, so I took your advice and ran journalctl. Here's the most suspicious stuff, all of which having occurred around the time of the bug, with the first item being most recent. The last item sounds unrelated but potentially quite bad.

pam_systemd(sudo:session): Cannot create session: Already occupied by a session

Allocating size to GtkScrollbar [address] without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?

Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine"

File /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-hostnamed.service:33 configures an IP firewall (IPAddressDeny=any), but the local system does not support BPF/cgroup based firew [truncated]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's what I get when I run budgie-panel --reset --replace & . It displays the following, then hangs. I need to Ctrl+C at the command line, then it terminates. The taskbar does get restored, though. From the nature and number of the error messages, it sounds like maybe deleting an app results in a NULL pointer reference, although that may not be the root cause of the taskbar's sudden disappearance.

** Message: manager.vala:562: Resetting budgie-panel configuration to defaults
** Message: manager.vala:451: Resetting dconf path: /com/solus-project/budgie-panel/
** Message: IconTasklistApplet.vala:418: Invalid application! [deleted app #1]
** Message: IconTasklistApplet.vala:418: Invalid application! [deleted app #2]
** Message: IconTasklistApplet.vala:418: Invalid application! [deleted app #3]

** (budgie-panel:2287): WARNING **: libsession.vala:67: Error registering with session manager: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.AlreadyRegistered: Unable to register client

(budgie-panel:2287): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(budgie-panel:2287): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_object: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(budgie-panel:2287): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_object: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

testmonkey

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 am

P.S. Literally a minute after I typed my reply above, the taskbar went into "unclickable" mode, wherein none of the icons respond, including the power button. So I used a hotkey to open a terminal and run budgie-panel a second time. It crashed the entire OS after the third error message complaining about the deleted app. Had to hit the power button.

testmonkey

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 am

I just had one other thought, which is that all this might have its origins in Software Center. As I've mentioned in another thread, Software Center gets confused as to whether app X is actually installed or not. If you do this in Software Center:

1. Remove an app.

2. Search (via the search dialog) for another app that you know is present.

3. Click on the app in the search results. Notice that there's a big button in the upper right that says "Remove".

4. Now go to "Installed", which is supposed to be list of installed apps. Scroll down manually til you find the same app. In the upper right, it will (might?) say "Install" instead of "Remove".

5. At least in my case, I can literally sit there toggling between the "Installed" and "Search" tabs, and it will show that the app is literally both installed and not installed!

I've reported this before and reproduced it on 2 quite different machines, but it seems like it doesn't happen for everyone.

Based on the error messages above, it sounds like some attributes of removed apps are still being remembered, when they shouldn't be.

Maybe a workaround is to "Unpin from panel" as soon as you uninstall something that has a taskbar shortcut. (This should happen automatically, but it doesn't.)

Granted, there may be multiple bugs here, and not necessarily any in Solus/Budgie itself, but this needs looking into.

testmonkey

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:57 am

I had to do another Budgie reset, same as above, and got "libsession.vala:50: DESKTOP_AUTOSTART_ID not set, session registration may be broken (not running budgie-desktop?)" Maybe that's closer to the root cause.

The reason I had to do the reset was that my text editor suddenly forgot how to highlight text, in the sense that highlighted text just became blank. I've never had that problem with the same editor on other Linux platforms, but I see it in Solus on a regular basis. It was in fact corrected by the reset, which might tell you something. But the reset also caused the taskbar to disappear completely, so I had to do a hard shutdown.

Return to “Tutorials”