testmonkey

How to (actually) disable the mic?

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 pm

I discovered that if you turn off the mic in Sound under System Settings, a third party app can just reenable it effortlessly. Then when I go back to Sound, it just happily shows me it enabled again. Where's the "turn it off like you mean it" setting?

Creepy stuff... I wonder if the camera is broken in the same way.

solus-steve

Re: How to (actually) disable the mic?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:54 am

testmonkey wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 pm
I discovered that if you turn off the mic in Sound under System Settings, a third party app can just reenable it effortlessly. Then when I go back to Sound, it just happily shows me it enabled again. Where's the "turn it off like you mean it" setting?

Creepy stuff... I wonder if the camera is broken in the same way.
If you are really concerned, check out disabling those items in the BIOS.

testmonkey

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:35 am

Unfortunately the BIOS doesn't allow you to disable external mics (or cameras), only the internal one, if anything. It's ridiculous to have sound settings that don't actually have authoritative control over sound devices. It would be fine if there were a setting somewhere that said "Let any app enable any mic" but the default should be either to ignore such attempts, or to display a dialog asking permission.

solus-steve

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 am

testmonkey wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:35 am
Unfortunately the BIOS doesn't allow you to disable external mics (or cameras), only the internal one, if anything. It's ridiculous to have sound settings that don't actually have authoritative control over sound devices. It would be fine if there were a setting somewhere that said "Let any app enable any mic" but the default should be either to ignore such attempts, or to display a dialog asking permission.
Ok, "external". You never specified that I could understand. Sorry.

Return to “Tutorials”