b2gcoder

VMware Player Installer Issue

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:31 am

Has anyone had a problem with the installer associated with this program? In my case, the installer attempts to install the various components associated with the program and just prior to completing, the installer goes into an uninstall routine (asking me if I wish to keep my configuration). This is odd since I have installed in the past with no problems.

Any input appreciated!
Last edited by b2gcoder on Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

kyrios

Re: VMware Player Installer

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:50 am

b2gcoder wrote:
Has anyone had a problem with the installer associated with this programs? In my case, the installer attempts to install the various components associated with the program and just prior to completing, the installer goes into an uninstall routine (asking me if I wish to keep my configuration). This is odd since I have installed in the past with no problems.

Any input appreciated!
The search function did the magic. ;)

b2gcoder

Re: VMware Player Installer

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:17 am

kyrios wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:50 am
b2gcoder wrote:
Has anyone had a problem with the installer associated with this programs? In my case, the installer attempts to install the various components associated with the program and just prior to completing, the installer goes into an uninstall routine (asking me if I wish to keep my configuration). This is odd since I have installed in the past with no problems.

Any input appreciated!
The search function did the magic. ;)
Hi kyrios,

Thank you for the reply. I must have missed my particular issue while searching both the board and the internet in general. In a previous post by selwynorren entitled "vmware player cannot run again," he did not specifically address any issues with the installation package by VMWare. In my case, the installer is rolling back prior to the completion of the original installation. I've searched the Arch Wiki without success. I am aware of the patching issues with kernel version 4.14 also, and I suspect that the installer is unable to correctly install since vmmon needs to be compiled with the new patch.

If you have a specific article that you are referring to that explains why the installer attempts to complete the installation and then rolls back immediately, please help point me in the right direction. I'm at a loss here.

Best regards!

This short video may clarify the issue that I am having: https://youtu.be/yT2Z553Gmiw

antechdesigns

Re: VMware Player Installer Issue

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:52 am

Have you installed sudo eopkg install -c system.devel

Code: Select all

sudo eopkg install -c system.devel

Also you need to install your linux headers for the kernel your using, LTS or Current

Follow me on youtube: Free Solus Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4qFG ... YFA/videos

Download Linux Wallpapers https://www.opendesktop.org/member/455534/

b2gcoder

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:02 pm

antechdesigns wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:52 am

Have you installed sudo eopkg install -c system.devel

sudo eopkg install -c system.devel

Also you need to install your linux headers for the kernel your using, LTS or Current
Hi antechdesigns,

I've done both. I closely followed your previous post and attempted to follow it to the letter. However, I'm having issues similar to what you had during the make process. Couldn't compile vmmon against the current Linux headers that I'm using (4.14.6-40.current). Just as a test, I rolled backed to the LTS kernel and was having the same issue while also using the correct "mkubecek/vmware-host-modules" for LTS.

Thanks for the reply!

antechdesigns

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:24 pm

So you have vmware player installed?

If you have, then to get it working with the 4.14kernel current you need to download this:

https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/tree/p14.0.0-k4.14

Notice we have the tag selected in the dropdown,
p14.0.0 = vmwareplayer 14.0
k4.14 = the kernel version your using, select a different version if the link I posted does not match what you have.
select clone & download, download zip

Extract the vmmon-only folder to your home folder open terminal and navigate to inside that folder and run

sudo make

Once that has been successful, compress the folder, and rename the vmmon-only.tar.xz to vmmon.tar

Then copy that tar file to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source. I used this command:

sudo cp vmmon.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

Once that had copied I ran vmware-player, it asked to install the module, which it did successfully for the first time.

You may need to run this if the vmware player does not start

sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

Follow me on youtube: Free Solus Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4qFG ... YFA/videos

b2gcoder

Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:52 pm

antechdesigns wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:24 pm

So you have vmware player installed?

Thank you for hanging in there with me! I previously had installed and working until my upgrade to kernel version 14. I ended up uninstalling due to the patch being unavailable at the time for vmmon. The problem that I am having now is getting the installer to just install all of the needed binaries.

You can see it here: https://youtu.be/yT2Z553Gmiw

The installer attempts to install the binaries and then immediately wants to uninstall them. Have you ever seen this occur?

Also, couldn't get the module to compile:

sudo make
Using kernel build system.
make -C /lib/modules/4.14.6-40.current/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. \
  MODULEBUILDDIR= modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.14.6-40.current'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target '/home/chuck/Downloads/vmwarescripts/vmware-host-modules-w14.0.0-k4.14/vmmon-only/linux/driverLog.o', needed by '/home/chuck/Downloads/vmwarescripts/vmware-host-modules-w14.0.0-k4.14/vmmon-only/vmmon.o'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1503: _module_/home/chuck/Downloads/vmwarescripts/vmware-host-modules-w14.0.0-k4.14/vmmon-only] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.14.6-40.current'
make: *** [Makefile:110: vmmon.ko] Error 2
 …  vmwarescripts  vmware-host-modules-w14.0.0-k4.14  vmmon-only  2  
I believe that this is similar to the problem that you were having. While I am using a newer kernel, I've had others tell me that the mkubecek patch should still work.

Again, I really appreciate all of your help on this!

b2gcoder

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:15 pm

For those interested, the installer issue is a problem on my particular system. The tutorial by selwynorren and antechdesigns found here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10801 should help you overcome the issues associated with VMWare Player and kernel 4.14.

Any input to help me determine why my VMWare player installer will automatically uninstall is greatly appreciated!

antechdesigns

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi,
Just thinking out aloud
So you had it installed then uninstalled because of the new kernel?
How did you uninstall it?

Could it be you have some bits left over from the previous install?
Have you tried checking the NO option at 'do you wish to keep your config files' ?
Might be some files are left over from the last install, and the installer now thinks its installed, hence the 'do you wish to keep your config files' question

Just a thought ;)

b2gcoder

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:31 pm

antechdesigns wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi,
Just thinking out aloud
So you had it installed then uninstalled because of the new kernel?
How did you uninstall it?

Could it be you have some bits left over from the previous install?
Have you tried checking the NO option at 'do you wish to keep your config files' ?
Might be some files are left over from the last install, and the installer now thinks its installed, hence the 'do you wish to keep your config files' question

Just a thought ;)
Uninstalled with vmware-uninstall -u vmware-player AND also did a manual overview of system to see if there were any remnants. There are no services running and did a clean reboot afterwards. :(

Return to “Tutorials”