buxjr

Samba Status?

Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:35 pm

Hey All,

What is the current status of Samba on Solus? I can see that it is installed by:

Code: Select all

buxjr@buxjrsolus ~ $ samba --version
Version 4.2.7
...but I cannot seem to locate ANY network resources (Windows, OSX, Linux, NAS, Media Server). Not by browse or "connect to server" using an explicit IP address.

So, all mighty Ikey, am I missing something or is Samba not fully implemented yet? Any trick to get this rolling?

Any and all advice or suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks, in advance.
Last edited by buxjr on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- BUXjr

Justin
Development Team

Re: Smaba Status?

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:32 pm

Not yet fully implemented. It's on our radar though.

buxjr

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:10 am

Hey Justin,

Thanks for updating me. I do appreciate you letting me know so I won't spend any time banging my head against the wall thinking it was something that I was doing (or in this case, wasn't doing).

That IS a bummer though. Kind of a "biggie", not being able to play nice with others on the LAN...

I'm sure y'all know all about it and are hard at work bringing this crucial functionality up. Any estimates? I'm sure it's pretty high on the priority list, no?

Again, thanks for getting back to me. I, along with every other Solus user, will be watching with libidinal fervor for this update.

Cheers mate.
- BUXjr

Justin
Development Team

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:15 am

Sadly no ETA just yet, a lot depends on Ikey and he's been rather unwell lately and probably busy catching up on his job while he was ill. Got a large list of "to do" items that we need to get fixed and it rarely seems to get smaller :)

buxjr

Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Hey Guys,

Did we ever get Samba up and running? I had to give up playing with Solus once I discovered I couldn't interact with adjacent systems within my LAN. Any news on this? If it's up, I'll give Solus another shot. Thanks in advance.

BUXjr
- BUXjr

ikey
Project Founder

Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:18 pm

It works in unstable it's just not enabled by default because I don't imagine anyone would be too happy with that

buxjr

Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Hey Ikey,

Hmmm... I just installed 1.2 on a laptop I had sitting around. First, let me say, "wow"! This distro is VERY slick. Installed like butter and everything worked perfectly out of the box! Love the new Budgie. Just sublime. Great work.

That said, I still don't have the ability to browse the network! Please LMK what I need to do to get full samba support working. I need to connect with other systems on the LAN. I don't think it's just samba, as there are three other Linux and four OSX machines on my LAN that are not visible either.

Please advise. Everything else is perfect. Need LAN!

Thanks in advance.
- BUXjr

Justin
Development Team

Re: Samba Status?

Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:11 am

I've been able to access the shares on my work NAS that are public, can't access the other ones as they're protected by AD login.

buxjr

Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:28 am

Hey Justin!

Bro, I don't know what it is then. When I try (within "Files") to browse the "Windows Network", from "Other Locations", it just hangs when you try to open "WORKGROUP". I have over 25 devices on this network; something should show up. I have three Windows PCs, four Macs, three Linux boxes and various other media servers, tablets and phones. Nothing shows up. What am I missing? All these other rigs see each other. Solus just seems to hang in a perpetual state of, "opening WORKGROUP".

Any and ALL advice is appreciated. I truly love EVERYTHING else about Solus. It's sick. But not being able to even SEE other machines on my network is ugly. Ubuntu/Debian/Elementary/Raspbian all see every LAN neighbor, out of the box!?!? What if I want to stream a movie file from a network share? What if I need to copy a file from another machine on my LAN?

Ikey mentioned that it "wasn't enabled in the stable release". Is that still the case? If so, how do I enable it? Samba is installed and running. Is it something I am missing in smb.conf? Do I need to remove Samba and replace it with the one from the unstable repo?

C'mon guys, please advise. I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious... Thanks.
- BUXjr

Justin
Development Team

Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:52 am

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/systemd/system/nmb.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/samba.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/smb.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/winbind.service
These are some of the samba services, try enabling each one individually with sudo systemctl start nmb.service for instance and see after each one is started the status of it (systemctl status nmb.service) and check nautilus to see if you can see items on your LAN.

Return to “Tutorials”