codythedragondude

How to manually install vmware player

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:26 am

First before installing the vmware workstation file you can get from here https://www.vmware.com/

install from terminal or software center

GCC
Linux-current-headers or Linux-lts-headers if you are using Linux-lts kernel
make

So basically

Code: Select all

sudo eopkg install linux-current-headers gcc make
And if using linux-lts it would be

Code: Select all

sudo eopkg install linux-lts-headers gcc make
Proceed with installing vmware from the file you grabbed from their website keep in mind you have to do this as root or vmware installer will complain about it so just do it the easy way type sudo in the terminal press spacebar then drag the file into the terminal press enter and the gui installer should pop up guiding you the rest of the way through

And as a little bonus and this may or may not work for you but it worked for me if you are using amd mesa drivers and want some gpu support for 3d acceleration look for a .vmware folder should be in your home folder after you first boot up vmware player go into that folder their should be a preferences text doc in there

Open that text doc and add the line mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "TRUE" to that text doc if all went well you will no longer get yelled by vmware player about lack of 3d acceleration support and the easy way to test this is to run obs in your VM if it worked then obs won't tell you to update your directX drivers and will be fully functional in that VM
Last edited by codythedragondude on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

codythedragondude

Re: How to manually install vmware player

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:56 am

UPDATE
while vmware player does work i am getting the following error when the vm tries to boot for the first time

Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory. Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded.

My guess is it's something the distro devs would have to compile into the kernel if that is the case i guess we are stuck with terribly bad no amd mesa driver gpu acceleration oracle virtualbox for now :(

selwynorren

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:03 pm

Howdy,

This topic has been extensively discussed on the forums and I have quite a few posts about it myself here. Just do a search for my username in teh tutorial forums and all the links and compile howto's are there. They should be able to help you out

codythedragondude

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:54 pm

Seems to be working with the latest kernel update as of january 29th 2018

Return to “Tutorials”