guaccio2209

Install Pandas Python and upgrade pip3

Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:03 am

Hi everyone, i'm new on Solus os, and i hope this is the right section to post a problem on installation.
I've installed solus on a virtual machine to try it with my stuff on it.
My first problem was encountered on Pip3 and pandas python library in particular.
I've installed all the dependencies (pytz, dateutil, numpy) from the respective tar.gz, but when i try to install pandas it comes out this error: unable to execute 'x86_64-solus-linux-gcc': No such file or directory
error: command 'x86_64-solus-linux-gcc' failed with exit status 1

Also, when i try to install pandas or other libraries using pip3 (for python 3.x versions), i see this message:

You are using pip version 7.1.2, however version 8.1.2 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.

I tried everything found on the internet, but the version of my pip3 still remain 7.1.2, so i can't install anything using it.

I need some help to understand these two problems (pip3 problem it's more about curiosity i admit) , because i need pandas python on my daily work.

Thank you in advance for all the help that you can give me.

Justin
Development Team

Re: Install Pandas Python and upgrade pip3

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:58 am

To upgrade pip3:

Code: Select all

sudo eopkg it python3-devel
sudo pip3 install --upgrade pip
pip3 --verison
As for compiling stuff using pip3, you'll need gcc as it says so the simplest way to ensure you have a reasonably sufficient build environment is:

Code: Select all

sudo eopkg it -c system.devel

guaccio2209

Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:24 am

Thank you very much Sir! I didn't know about the instruction "sudo eopkg it python3-devel".
So every time i launched sudo pip3 install --upgrade pip it did not work.

With the other instruction "sudo eopkg it -c system.devel" i've been able to install pandas on the system.
I will save these instruction for my future laptop-installation of Solus Os.

Again, thank you very much for your support, and congratulations to you and the group for the beautiful OS.

Justin
Development Team

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:04 am

You're welcome and thanks! :)

Sealcz

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Hello, I am new user of Solus OS and quite novice with Gnu/linux. I have a question what is python3-devel and system.devel for?
I am learning programing in python3 and I dont know if I have already instaled all what I need properly. I have installed only python3 and via pip3 I have installed some libraries what I will need, than I instaled pycharm and that is all. Am I right?
Alternatively I am sorry for stupid question . However I didnt find on the forum answer.

kyrios

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:14 pm

Sealcz wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:56 pm
Hello, I am new user of Solus OS and quite novice with Gnu/linux. I have a question what is python3-devel and system.devel for?
I am learning programing in python3 and I dont know if I have already instaled all what I need properly. I have installed only python3 and via pip3 I have installed some libraries what I will need, than I instaled pycharm and that is all. Am I right?
Alternatively I am sorry for stupid question . However I didnt find on the forum answer.
-devel packages are packages that contains development files. For example python3 is the package that contains all you need to run python3 while python3-devel contains the files required to build something against python3. The -devel packages always depends on their corresponding "main" package, which means that when you install a -devel package, the corresponding main package will also automatically be installed.

system.devel is a category that contains all the system development tools (in the Software Center it's everything you see under System Software -> Base development tools)

Installing python/python3 via pip is a very bad idea as it might break your system because are build against the python/python3 version shipped in the repository. Currently Solus provides python 3.5.4, if you installed Python 3.6 via pip, all the python 3 applications shipped with Solus will be broken.

Sealcz

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:04 pm

Thank you very much!!

Return to “Tutorials”