sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: [HowTo] Install Plex Media Server

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:08 am

El_Novi wrote:Hi could you please update Plex Media server again?

BTW: Isn't there any way to update your repositories automatically? GitLab help through their build system.
Have updated PMS to latest version.

There isn't a way to automate it. It doesn't require many changes, but it does require:
1. Knowing there is a new release
2. Making the changes to point to the new version
3. Testing that it installs and loads

There isn't a way to update it automatically. The gitlab you refer to (which exists in Github too), means that you can test that your source compiles after each commit to it (i.e. it's for the developer of the software). PMS isn't open source and once we make the commit for the update, the job is already done. There is also the ability for the community to contribute the update with a PR on github which happens for some other 3rd-party packages as they are more aware of when a new release occurs.

But otherwise, just need to inform that there's a new release.

selwynorren

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:26 am

Howdy,

I made use of the initial third party install via the software centre. I have since then kept my server up to date as and when a new release comes out. I have also cloned the repo on github and have made two pull requests with the correct checksums and updated software links.

We just need a dev to check it and merge the requests.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:35 am

selwynorren wrote:Howdy,

I made use of the initial third party install via the software centre. I have since then kept my server up to date as and when a new release comes out. I have also cloned the repo on github and have made two pull requests with the correct checksums and updated software links.

We just need a dev to check it and merge the requests.
I see your PR just now! I'm likely going to close it now that I updated master before I saw it to the latest release (so it conflicts with master and you may need to update against the Solus master).

If in future (and it would be great to have a user of PMS following releases updating the builds!), you can make your commit/PR title informative ala 'Update Plex Media Server to 1.3.2.3112' that would be greatly appreciated :) Have recently got access to be able to merge them, but it's easily overlooked without the informative title. Now I have access, I get notified for a new PR (although evidently nothing when you comment on an existing one), so can merge for other users. :mrgreen:

Cheers!

selwynorren

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Okay Thats awesome,

I use Plex quite often and am On top of the build so I am happy to mark the progress. I am very new to github and this third party repo was the first time I had actively contributed to anything.

So in essence I am happy to keep on top of it and will make sure I keep it updated with something meaningful.

Cheers and thanks so much

cascaded

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:14 am

There are one or two additional steps for plex if you want it to work beyond installing it, at least I find there are.

You need to start the service and if you want it to start every time you boot, which if you probably do then -

sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver.service

sudo systemctl enable plexmediaserver.service

Justin
Development Team

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:16 am

cascaded wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:14 am
There are one or two additional steps for plex if you want it to work beyond installing it, at least I find there are.

You need to start the service and if you want it to start every time you boot, which if you probably do then -

sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver.service

sudo systemctl enable plexmediaserver.service
As stated at https://solus-project.com/articles/soft ... dia-server :)

Eric_Ponvelle

Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:22 pm

It looks like it updated again.

Once you do the update, is there an eopkg command to get the latest version? I've only ever installed it on Debian builds, so you just install the new deb. I didn't see update instructions on the link.

kyrios

Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Eric_Ponvelle wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:22 pm
It looks like it updated again.

Once you do the update, is there an eopkg command to get the latest version? I've only ever installed it on Debian builds, so you just install the new deb. I didn't see update instructions on the link.
You have to run the first 2 lines on the link Justin gave. First line build the package, 2nd line install it. The third party repository as it is now, it almost dead. Very soon it will be replaced by snap packages that will be nicely integrated in the software center.

Return to “Tutorials”