chasem_94

New to Solus and Linux as a whole

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Hello everyone, I've been working toward a degree in Network and System administration on and off for the last few years (since I was 19, 23 now) and I decided I wanted to jump into Linux early so I can have a bit of knowledge before I start taking UNIX classes.

I've dabbled in and out of various Linux distros over the years but only really used them for a few days before switching back to Windows so my ability is rather limited. Recently I've been distro hopping (Ubuntu and its derivatives, Mint, Manjaro, SteamOS, Parrot, etc) before deciding on Solus since it's so new and I really like how it's designed and the direction it's headed in. My main intention is to eventually use Linux (specifically Solus and other enterprise distros) as my daily driver and to play my Steam games on.

The main point of this post is to ask for a bit of advice and a bit of direction on how to use Solus. What I'm getting at is are there basic sets of terminal commands I should know by heart, odds and ends of the OS to know about, how to properly use Solus (right now it's on a fairly high end laptop and I just use it for internet and general browsing, just installed Steam), and if anyone has a basic guide on working within Linux/Solus they could help me with.

Apologies in advance for the long post, I'm just a bit excited (and nervous) to be entering a new environment to learn on.

Justin
Development Team

Re: New to Solus and Linux as a whole

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 am

Welcome to the Solus community! Enjoy your stay and ask whatever questions you have, we're here to help. A few helpful links: As for terminal commands see https://solus-project.com/articles/pack ... basics/en/

What you want to do with your PC ultimately determines what info we can provide.

kyrios

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:53 am

Regarding the linux commands in general, there are tons of tutorials and e-learning sites... Just use your favorite search engine and you'll find lot of sites. Perhaps it's a good idea to filter out the results to only take the most recent.

Of course there are differences between the linux flavors mainly around the packaging tools, but the basis are common to all of them.
If you have some more specific questions regarding some commands or some specificity of Solus, just ask and we'll be happy to answer! :D

chasem_94

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks, I'll read through those links when I get a chance after work today.

Yeah, probably a good idea to not be using dated tutorials. That's the big issue with my classes, they're all online through TestOut so some of the videos can be anywhere from a year to five years old.

So a fairly general question to anyone, what do you use Solus for? What made you pick Solus over things like Ubuntu or Arch?

Justin
Development Team

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:57 am

Large what drew you to Solus thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1306
Large what do you use Solus for thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2345

doc-E-brown

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:24 am

Welcome to Linux!!! You wont look back.... again ;)

TimApple

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:44 am

Welcome! I think the way a lot of learned our way around is we just started breaking things and fixing them. It's definitely what I have done. A couple of good resources..one cost money but.

https://linuxacademy.com/
http://www.bash.academy/

Enjoy!
Tim

Return to “Tutorials”