antechdesigns
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:12 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Updating Solus Using the Terminal

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:04 pm


How to Updating Solus Using the Terminal:
https://youtu.be/DzHwEk0fiVA

Terminal Command:
sudo eopkg up

Follow me on youtube: Free Solus Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4qFG ... YFA/videos

Download Linux Wallpapers https://www.opendesktop.org/member/455534/

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Updating Solus Using the Terminal

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 pm

antechdesigns wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:04 pm

How to Updating Solus Using the Terminal:
https://youtu.be/DzHwEk0fiVA

Terminal Command:
sudo eopkg up
Perhaps it's me but I don't get the point of making a video for such a simple command.
Videos are wonderful when something is hard/long/a little complex to explain but for the very basic things, I am not convinced it brings any added value.
Perhaps it could even be counter productive since the more video, the harder it is to quickly find the one you're looking for... and it could also be scaring for new comers.
Of course this is just my personal feeling. not a criticism!

antechdesigns
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:12 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Updating Solus Using the Terminal

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 am

kyrios wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 pm
Perhaps it's me but I don't get the point of making a video for such a simple command.
Videos are wonderful when something is hard/long/a little complex to explain but for the very basic things, I am not convinced it brings any added value.
Perhaps it could even be counter productive since the more video, the harder it is to quickly find the one you're looking for... and it could also be scaring for new comers.
Of course this is just my personal feeling. not a criticism!
I totally understand what your saying, I just took the opportunity because of the update this evening.

I came from archlinux to solus thinking piece of cake, however after installing it the first thing i did was try to update, not knowing much about solus, I thought quickest way to update? I went straight to the terminal and I drew a blank, anyway after a few minutes searching the site I found the eopkg docs, scanned through it, then I came back to the terminal and did a sudo eopkg update :shock:

Might be a simple command to you & now me, but if you don't know it, you don't know it. I also wanted to show the 'new to linux' what actually happens when you click that update button in the software center and that the terminal is not something to be scared of.

My first distro was ubuntu mate which I installed in January this year, I would avoid going anywhere near the terminal if I could help it. Once I got my head round ubuntu mate I moved to debian then arch. I have learnt so much about linux in the past 9 months that I actually prefer the terminal because I know now its easier and quicker, assuming you know the commands. :lol:

Anyway thanks for your feedback and comments, you guys are doing a great job ;)

Follow me on youtube: Free Solus Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4qFG ... YFA/videos

Download Linux Wallpapers https://www.opendesktop.org/member/455534/

robgriff444
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: Updating Solus Using the Terminal

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:00 am

We all have different ways of thinking: I like going to @antechdesigns channel to see if there's an answer because I know from experience of watching his other ones that he knows what he's doing and he's on point because he's using the same OS as me - it's no different to me watching 'RJ the bike guy' when I'm messing with my mountain bike - I 'know' the author and his ability and once that level of trust/communication is set in my mind, I like to keep checking there 1st.

One other point - my mind is very visual - I zone out with instructions but pictures and videos seem to have a direct effect and they remain! This may be a fault with me but I bet there are others like me so I say thumbs up to videos, no matter how simple! 8-)

And by the way, I've been using Linux (all the usual distros including gentoo) for 7+ years so I know what I'm doing, I equally know what newbies have problems with so I like anything that can help them.

antechdesigns
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:12 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Updating Solus Using the Terminal

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:58 am

robgriff444 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:00 am
We all have different ways of thinking: I like going to @antechdesigns channel to see if there's an answer because I know from experience of watching his other ones that he knows what he's doing and he's on point because he's using the same OS as me - it's no different to me watching 'RJ the bike guy' when I'm messing with my mountain bike - I 'know' the author and his ability and once that level of trust/communication is set in my mind, I like to keep checking there 1st.

One other point - my mind is very visual - I zone out with instructions but pictures and videos seem to have a direct effect and they remain! This may be a fault with me but I bet there are others like me so I say thumbs up to videos, no matter how simple! 8-)

And by the way, I've been using Linux (all the usual distros including gentoo) for 7+ years so I know what I'm doing, I equally know what newbies have problems with so I like anything that can help them.

Hey rob,
Thanks for your support and your kind comments ;)

Just to add also, that video is the most viewed on the YouTube channel, maybe because, if you have the software center bug, which I do, when you open it (sometimes) it crashes :o
So if your a new user or any user for that matter, whats the alternative?
Also you get an overview of whats being installed without scrolling through the software center, assuming it doesn't crash.

Its not the first time I have been criticized for trying to help people and I am sure it wont be the last. Anyway the videos are there to help people, use them or don't. I may get it wrong sometimes but I trust and hope, you guys will let me know ;)

Great Distro despite the above, I am sure it will be fixed soon enough.

Thanks everybody for the feedback ;)

Follow me on youtube: Free Solus Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4qFG ... YFA/videos

Download Linux Wallpapers https://www.opendesktop.org/member/455534/

robgriff444
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: Updating Solus Using the Terminal

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:09 pm

And thanks for the firewall video, I tried ages ago on a different distro and found that i needed to know port stuff to even start it and although I was a sysadmin years ago I was annoyed that I couldn't just click 'on' for my home pc that I watch TV on !!!! So your video pulled me back in and I have gufw installed 8-)
Last edited by robgriff444 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

antechdesigns
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:12 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Updating Solus Using the Terminal

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:04 pm

That's Great, nice to know I'm helping people ;)

Follow me on youtube: Free Solus Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4qFG ... YFA/videos

Download Linux Wallpapers https://www.opendesktop.org/member/455534/

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Updating Solus Using the Terminal

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:18 pm

antechdesigns wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:04 pm
That's Great, nice to know I'm helping people ;)
Yeah good job! :)
And it shows that you were right doing this (vids for very simple commands) unlike what I thought ! Keep on going !!! :D

antechdesigns
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:12 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Updating Solus Using the Terminal

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:32 pm

kyrios wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:18 pm
antechdesigns wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:04 pm
That's Great, nice to know I'm helping people ;)
Yeah good job! :)
And it shows that you were right doing this (vids for very simple commands) unlike what I thought ! Keep on going !!! :D

Thanks kyrios for keeping an eye on me, sometimes I do get it wrong, good to know you got my back ;)

Follow me on youtube: Free Solus Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4qFG ... YFA/videos

Download Linux Wallpapers https://www.opendesktop.org/member/455534/

Return to “Tutorials”