ycrawler

conky on top of budgie panel (sort of a howto)

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:54 pm

since i use plank i dont use the icon task list in the budgie panel, and since ive got a 2560x1080 screen that leaves me with a big long near empty panel on the top of my screen, especially since the list of applets for budgie is rather limited so far. so i wanted a conky config to go above the panel. this i wasnt able to achieve. i could make the conky go above the panel but as soon as the mouse cursor touched the panel the conky would go below the panel. (if someone could tell me how to make it stick on top id be glad, and the stuff below will be uneccesary)

today i thought of a rather dirty hack. and it works!
i simply made the panel always transparent in the budgie settings and put conky under(below? english is not my first language) so that it would be visible through the transparent panel. then i made the conky size and colour match that of the panel. and voila now it looks like ive got conky on top of the panel. now there are no limits to what i can put on the panel, all the stats and graphs i want.

a little screenshot, keep in mind the conky config is not finished, its mostly a proof of concept

Craig-toyoracer

Re: conky on top of budgie panel (sort of a howto)

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:01 am

Wow, that is one smart solution :thumbsup: well done. :D

ycrawler

Re: conky on top of budgie panel (sort of a howto)

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:37 pm

just a new screenshot.
nothing special but its how i want it, so im very happy

full size https://i.imgur.com/itE4He1.png

Return to “Share All The Things!”