AKTundra

Budgie Remix vs Solus : Some base observations

Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:11 am

I used Budgie Remix for 3 days before I opened up on reddit and received some education I needed. (Well, yes, I needed a swift pointer. But I learned.) Now I have been using Solus for 2 days. Here are some quick observations from my short time of usage.

1) Budgie Remix: Default theme has issues with the icon notifier for Spider Oak One.
2) Budgie Remix: The workspace switcher is hard to see on the top of the screen.
3) Budgie Remix: The "All" menu item is not sorted in any meaningful way (I suspect it is ordered by category but it is not labeled), nor is it annotated. Because of this, it is useless as a end-user tool.
4) Budgie Remix: Defaults with Plank installed. Coming from Ubuntu and liking Unity, I was very partial to where Plank was located and how it worked.

5) Solus : SpiderOak One installs properly including the notifier icon.
6) Solus : The default interface is very windows ish and I had forgotten that Plank was not installed by default. Not a big deal, just a difference.
7) Solus : It is FAST. Did I mention it is very FAST. Budgie feels very fast on Solus.

8) Developer are extremely responsive

And I have become a Patron. Congrats folks, you convinced me to spend money on supporting your efforts. 8-)

The only other distribution I have supported was Bodhi. And that has fallen by the wayside.
Experience is what we get when we don't get what we want. And I have tons of experience...

reddit user : duffelbagninja
-<*>-

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Budgie Remix vs Solus : Some base observations

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:51 am

AKTundra wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:11 am
I used Budgie Remix for 3 days before I opened up on reddit and received some education I needed. (Well, yes, I needed a swift pointer. But I learned.) Now I have been using Solus for 2 days. Here are some quick observations from my short time of usage.

1) Budgie Remix: Default theme has issues with the icon notifier for Spider Oak One.
2) Budgie Remix: The workspace switcher is hard to see on the top of the screen.
3) Budgie Remix: The "All" menu item is not sorted in any meaningful way (I suspect it is ordered by category but it is not labeled), nor is it annotated. Because of this, it is useless as a end-user tool.
4) Budgie Remix: Defaults with Plank installed. Coming from Ubuntu and liking Unity, I was very partial to where Plank was located and how it worked.

5) Solus : SpiderOak One installs properly including the notifier icon.
6) Solus : The default interface is very windows ish and I had forgotten that Plank was not installed by default. Not a big deal, just a difference.
7) Solus : It is FAST. Did I mention it is very FAST. Budgie feels very fast on Solus.

8) Developer are extremely responsive

And I have become a Patron. Congrats folks, you convinced me to spend money on supporting your efforts. 8-)

The only other distribution I have supported was Bodhi. And that has fallen by the wayside.
Glad you are enjoying and thanks for the support! There's still things we can improve on...Which we will keep on doing.

Return to “Share All The Things!”