Is anti-malware over done?

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:09 pm

Just now, i was browsing here with latest Firefox Quantum beta on Windows at:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10459
And everything (images) was blocked by Malware bytes with this warning:
http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9282/PCfJLA.png

Isn't this a bit of an overkill?
It's not the only time MB does this.
Of course, i could set exclusions in program.
But how can i be sure that it would be safe to do so?

In the case of real malware, how can we be sure that when we surf in Linux (where error message would not appear) that we don't get somehow infected or in the case scenario, when we look at same page (via history) on Android, that nothing nefarious would happen there either?

Justin
Development Team

Re: Is anti-malware over done?

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:36 am

As it's an uploads website where likely thousands of files get uploaded and had multiple hits for malware I'd say it's likely MB has blocked the entire site because of it. Any upload site should have mawlare/virus scanning on the backend to ensure nothing of the sort gets distributed.

danielson

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:46 pm

So Linux and Android shouldn't be worried about these situations?

Justin
Development Team

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:14 am

I use Lookout on Android to scan apps for nasties, linux while not the primary focus of hackers etc can be attacked, if you're worried I'd setup a firewall as well as be cautious of sites you download from.

danielson

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:33 am

Think i've heard of Lookout before.
Have tried a few.
Last one was 360 Total Security.

My laptop is hard-wired connected to a network (who is secured already right?).
But, that extra firewall protection probably is good thing for sure!

kyrios

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:42 am

Windows and Android are the most targeted OS simply because they have the biggest market share (and also because manufacturers and telco only pushes the security fixes on the newer models). Then comes iOS and macOS.

Linux on desktop isn't actively targeted as it has a market share of +/- 2% which means that keeping an up-to-date system and having some common sense keep you safe without having to require anti-malware, anti-viruses and so which just decrease the performances of the system, the autonomy and even the user experience (just see this post as an example). Last but not least these software may give you a false feeling of security because they don't protect you against everything. Detection rate may be much lower than what you think, there might be false positive (sometimes even removing critical files leading to system breakage), not even mentioning that such security software may also have vulnerabilities and are targeted by malware authors and other spies.

This being said, there are anti-malwares available for Linux, but Solus made the choice not offering any in their repository. So if you really want such a software, you'll have to build it yourself.

ultr4_l4s3r

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 am

The best thing you can do, on both Windows and Linux, is to just keep everything up-to-date and avoid shady websites and services (I'm assuming pretty much everyone sits behind a router or other kind of hardware firewall nowadays). Don't plug strange USB sticks into your computer. When I look at what e.g. Google's Project Zero unearthed concerning vulnerabilities in—and insecure traffic manipulation by—so called "Internet Security Suites", I'm wondering whether one might not be better off without them (especially considering Windows already includes SmartScreen, Defender and Firewall; and the threat on Linux isn't altogether that high at the moment)

Android, especially the Google Play Store, is a can of worms. I've come across so many fake apps and potential malware, it's astonishing (and frequent news articles about yet another uncovered network of malicious apps tell the same story). At least Google is trying to do something against it with their "Play Protect" services, or whatever they're called.

danielson

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:50 pm

So many things to nag us, just like chiggers and worse!

A few weeks ago, was searching for info. on "sweet potatoes".
Clicking on a link made the browser go bonkers.
So, now i put WOT back on along with Privacy Badger and Fraudscore.

ultr4_l4s3r

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:31 am

Personally, I don't trust WOT ever since they got caught collecting and selling user data to unidentified third parties in 2016.

A good ad-blocker (and there is only one, uBlock Origin ;D) does wonders for the usability and security of the browsing experience.

danielson

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Justin wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:14 am
I use Lookout on Android to scan apps for nasties...
Guess you'll be happy to know that Microsoft is apparently teaming up with Lookout and more:
https://betanews.com/2017/11/09/microso ... s-android/

Return to “General Chit-Chat”