HellBorne

[Kind of Solved] Quitting Arch because of its community

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi all,

Let me start with disclosures first:

1. I have been using Arch for almost 4 years, still love the distro for its simplicity and DIY style. Although I have been distro hopping since 2003 but my skills remained intermediate for I am a casual user. Now I am almost done with Arch (not because of anything wrong with distro but due to toxic community that I am fed up with.

2. I have not read Solus forum rules yet but I reckon they must be more welcoming towards new users than Arch community but, in all, please bear with me.

3. I might sound monotonic as if drunk. It's just I got binned, thrashed and trashed at Arch forums for "necrobumping" on my own thread after I 'reminded' folks to help me after waiting for almost a week.

Now, after all the rant above, I am considering following points before I do "sudo rm -r /" and install Solus:

A. Solus really does not offer packages as much as Arch does. Is it true? (Ref: this post by Arch fanboy)

B. Solus isn't great (package manager sucks, etc.) (See: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/solus-i ... eat/114111)

C. What is current "hostility rating" of Solus community (anything above 3 out of 10 will work for me).

D. Assuming base install of Solus with Gnome Mail, Thunderbird (need it due to some plugin), Chromium, OpenShot, Gimp, Dropbox (via Aur), Wine. How many packages would that be? I just want to compare bloat as my current setup is 155 expressively installed packages (870 in total with deps) for Gnome desktop which I believe is pretty trimmed system.

E. My first gen Core i5 Intel system boots in 17 seconds, how this compares to Solus in general?

I am no longer a distro hopper but now I am about to setup everything from scratch I want to make sure my new distro is probably going to stay for long.

Thank you.
Last edited by HellBorne on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As a courtesy to all users and keeping our forums tidy, please

* Mark your thread [Solved] if done (i.e. edit 1st post & prepend [Solved] in subject)
* Use [ code ] to paste your logs
* Use [ quote ] to cite relevant portions instead of quoting entire post

Justin
Development Team

Re: Quitting Arch because of its community

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:48 pm

HellBorne wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:55 pm
Hi all,

Let me start with disclosures first:

1. I have been using Arch for almost 4 years, still love the distro for its simplicity and DIY style. Although I have been distro hopping since 2003 but my skills remained intermediate for I am a casual user. Now I am almost done with Arch (not because of anything wrong with distro but due to toxic community that I am fed up with.

2. I have not read Solus forum rules yet but I reckon they must be more welcoming towards new users than Arch community but, in all, please bear with me.

3. I might sound monotonic as if drunk. It's just I got binned, thrashed and trashed at Arch forums for "necrobumping" on my own thread after I 'reminded' folks to help me after waiting for almost a week.

Now, after all the rant above, I am considering following points before I do "sudo rm -r /" and install Solus:

A. Solus really does not offer packages as much as Arch does. Is it true? (Ref: this post by Arch fanboy)

B. Solus isn't great (package manager sucks, etc.) (See: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/solus-i ... eat/114111)

C. What is current "hostility rating" of Solus community (anything above 3 out of 10 will work for me).

D. Assuming base install of Solus with Gnome Mail, Thunderbird (need it due to some plugin), Chromium, OpenShot, Gimp, Dropbox (via Aur), Wine. How many packages would that be? I just want to compare bloat as my current setup is 155 expressively installed packages (870 in total with deps) for Gnome desktop which I believe is pretty trimmed system.

E. My first gen Core i5 Intel system boots in 17 seconds, how this compares to Solus in general?

I am no longer a distro hopper but now I am about to setup everything from scratch I want to make sure my new distro is probably going to stay for long.

Thank you.
1. Replaced your word with toxic, we like to keep our forums family friendly

2. We're very welcoming (I like to think) and cater to all skill levels.

3. We try to get to all posts as soon as we can but sometimes we do miss some. I would consider something older than a year necrobumping

A. Solus offers quality over quantity in our packages, however if we don't have something available it's easy to request and doesn't have to be put through an AUR type system before we accept it.

B. I say try it and make up your own mind up, that link (without clicking it) looks familiar and was full of FUD. Our philosophy is you shouldn't care about the package manager, only what comes out of it, which is your experience with the OS itself.

C. I can't really say what our hostility rating is as I'm biased, but I find our forums pretty damn good, we rarely have to pull people up for being toxic

D. Solus has Thunderbird as default mail client, Chromium is coming soon (but also available already via SNAP), Openshot, Gimp, Dropbox, Wine. As for dependencies I don't see why they would be considered bloat, Solus includes dependencies that are needed to perform all functions of a program, not just the ones to get it to build. There is no point installing a program then having to go back and install more to get a certain function to work.

E. Boot times depend on many factors, hardware, installed software. But Solus booted in (recalling from memory) 1second on a high end Intel NUC (Ikey's). Are you measuring the boot time using systemd or boot time from when you press the power button?

HellBorne

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Thank you for response.

Boot time was measured using systemd on conventional hard drive (not SSD). Tried Solus on vm (qemu) last night and looked good, my first impressions:

1. Booted fast.

2. Kernel is Linux is 4.12 (Arch has 4.13) not too old. While linux-lts was available but I could not find other kernel like linux-zen (my preferred one) in Solus Software Center.

3. I did notice non-availability of packages such as xf86-video-qxl (to enhance vm performance) and Chromium.

4. 'Settings' did not responded and never showed any dialog box -- not sure it is vm related or something else (BTW:. I have used Budgie desktop on Arch box for about a year).

5. Documentation needs improvement.

I'll probably use an external HDD to test-run Solus natively and post further feedback. I have shortlisted OpenSuse Tumbleweed and Solus. If I settle on Solus, I expect to contribute on forums, and towards #3 and #5 insofar possible for me.

Update:
I had some free unassigned space 100gb so decided to install Solus.

* Mark your thread [Solved] if done (i.e. edit 1st post & prepend [Solved] in subject)

kyrios

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:09 pm

HellBorne wrote:
Thank you for response.

Boot time was measured using systemd on conventional hard drive (not SSD). Tried Solus on vm (qemu) last night and looked good, my first impressions:

1. Booted fast.

2. Kernel is Linux is 4.12 (Arch has 4.13) not too old. While linux-lts was available but I could not find other kernel like linux-zen (my preferred one) in Solus Software Center.

3. I did notice non-availability of packages such as xf86-video-qxl (to enhance vm performance) and Chromium.

4. 'Settings' did not responded and never showed any dialog box -- not sure it is vm related or something else (BTW:. I have used Budgie desktop on Arch box for about a year).

I'll probably use an external HDD to test-run Solus natively and post further feedback. I have shortlisted OpenSuse Tumbleweed and Solus. If I settle on Solus, I expect to contribute on forums, and towards #3 and #5 insofar possible for me.
Solus offers 2 kernel, a LTS one and a CURRENT one. They are always the latest version (might have to wait a few days to get the updates as it's first released on unstable and tested then pushed to the stable branch).
At the moment the LTS is a version 4.9 and the CURRENT a version 4.13.
Switch to 4.14 will be done after .1 is released to insure better stability.
You have a kernel 4.12 because it was the latest available when the last iso was made. You have to install & update to get the latest or wait for the next iso which will probably be published still this month.

Solus boot time (and overall speed) is usually excellent compared to other distros but of course it all depends on what you install and which services you enable.

Documentation is a continuous WIP. It's available here and you can contribute to it here

HellBorne

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Arright, posting first comment from Solus installed on my HDD (I almost forget I kept 100 gb free space for playing around). Downloading all updates, so far so good...

JonnyJaap

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 pm

HellBorne wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:23 pm
Arright, posting first comment from Solus installed on my HDD (I almost forget I kept 100 gb free space for playing around). Downloading all updates, so far so good...
I also used Arch Linux for some years but I switch to Solus about 1 and a half year ago I think, it was when they switch to rolling releases.
And I LOVE IT, in my opponent it is the best Linux. Yes the liberty is not huge, but I have all programs I need and they are adding contentions new and you can request packedes, and now with snaps there is a hole lot of new packeds you can use. And Steam works so match bedder on Solus then on Arch, it is crazy.
I play frequently on Linux.
It is easy to install then Archlinux, it doesn´t break easly if you not check the update notes, what Arch Linux does a frequently. It is super stable and my Solus on my PC starts faster then Manjaro (yes I know, Manjaro is not the same as Arch) of my brother on his PC (same CPU, he has bedder GPU and motherboard, and similar SSD´s). Both Linux (his and mine) are encrypted.

I´m glad you give it a try, and welcome to the community!

Justin
Development Team

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:41 am

HellBorne wrote:
Thank you for response.

1. Booted fast.

Update:
I had some free unassigned space 100gb so decided to install Solus.
2. It's only 4.12 on the install ISO, update and you'll have 4.13

3. Chromium is coming soon, that qxl driver is likely missing as we don't really aim Solus towards use in a virtual environment.

4. Which settings? Budgie or the normal settings (gnome-control-center)?

HellBorne

Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:58 pm

@JonnyJaap
Thanks. I learned more about Linux in ~4 years using Arch than all distros combined since 2003 and it never broke for me because I ran updates daily. It is just the attitude of community made me walk away.

@Justin
Never mind the issue on 'settings', all is working now on my test partition. Probably it was when I tried Solus live on virtual machine using qemu. Also, I am not getting why people are complaining about shortage of packages in repos. Here is my take on it:

Daily use:

Code: Select all

* keepassx[b]2[/b] [Solus has keepassx]
	* Telegram [available in Solus]
	* Chromium [not available but options include Vivaldi or Google Chrome besides Firefox]
	* Megasync [Not available, official site offers Arch/OpenSuse/Ubuntu repos]**
	* Evolution Mail and Thunberbird [available]
	* Qemu and Virt-Manager [available]
Occassional use:

Code: Select all

* Wine [available]
	* Simple scan [available]
	* HP printer (hplip-plugin) [not tested yet but Solus has hplip-driver hopefully it will run my HP P1102]
	* DVD/CD burner (Brassero) [available]
	* Bleachbit [available]
**I will compile Megasync as I need the service, hopefully it will work.

Now I am going to install Solus on my main/production partitions. I have created another thread here for a issue I am facing with installer. Appreciate if you can have a look at it.

Again, thank you all for warm welcome!

Justin
Development Team

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:02 am

Chromium is coming soon.
Megasync someone compiled in the forums here so if you want a shortcut have a look through the posts.

kyrios

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:36 am

Keep in mind that this is unofficial : viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10381

Return to “General Chit-Chat”