gsleonard

Which type of HDD or SSD should I get?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:27 am

I've been asking myself this and looked up a few models such as Seagate and WD. I checked my current HDD (it's a Toshiba that holds up to 500GB that's three years old) and it has 40 bad sectors, and I was thinking about getting an internal HDD or SSD to replace it with. Just in case the HDD kicks the bucket eventually. I don't mind either keeping it at 500GB or bumping it up higher for more disk space. Do you guys have any other recommendations? Thank in advance! :)

solus-steve

Re: Which type of HDD or SSD should I get?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:09 am

I've always bought Crucial SSD's, but others swear by Samsung. IMO, either one is good.

When I did buy hdd's, it was always WD.

If your budget permits, buy an SSD, or save til you can.

ycrawler

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:13 am

ive had a couple of corsair ssds, one simply failed after about a year and the second one now has bad blocks, but still works. my samsung has no such issues, so for me next time it will also be samsung

gsleonard

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 pm

solus-steve wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:09 am
I've always bought Crucial SSD's, but others swear by Samsung. IMO, either one is good.

When I did buy hdd's, it was always WD.

If your budget permits, buy an SSD, or save til you can.
Although getting an SSD would be nice, but they're too expensive for me right now. I'll stick to a HDD for the time being. I'll give WD try as a replacement, and I did check what other people have to say about the brand. Overall it's positive with very few negatives; mainly to do with getting a defective HDD and then exchanging it for a new one to solve it. I saw three types of WD HDDs: Mainstream, Blue, and Black. I might get either a WD Mainstream or a WD Blue for my laptop. Hopefully, I'll get to work on it over the weekend. It'll need some dusting on the inside, though.

DGMurdockIII

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:02 am

Here are some of my suggestions http://amzn.to/2yzplGH and http://amzn.to/2fBiuVD

gsleonard

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:21 am

I just wanted to say thank you for your suggestions on HDDs and SSDs, and I will keep them mind when the time comes. For now my HDD is doing okay so far, and I was checking for bad blocks on the RAM and HDD. The RAM's fine, there were no bad blocks. The HDD has 12 bad blocks though. I'll try to take work on the bad blocks on my HDD, if I can. But for now, I'll take care of the HDD and system as much as I can for the time being.

Return to “General Chit-Chat”