Justin
Development Team

What drew you to Solus?

Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:18 am

Curious to see what drew people to use Solus, what OS they came from and why?

Raaf61

Re: What drew you to Solus?

Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:57 am

OK a little computing history here :

Started around 1999 with my first computer a Pentium III 667 with Win98, but as soon as I got my hands on a W2K copy, started using that .
XP was the logic follow up, but round that time I tried my first non Win OS, BeOS .
Got it working and all but it was very restricted and no longer being developed but it was a eye opener, computers work perfect without Bill :mrgreen:
My first Linux was Suse but never really liked it .
Then Ubuntu came, was enthusiastic about it but it was to buggy for my taste ( it gave me Win98 flashbacks ;) ) and I never really liked the idea that it was "freely" distributed by a company .
So I started using Debian but until that time always had a dual boot with Win 7 alongside .
But I got into Debian and started using Win no more and for the last 5 years my comp is Win free .

When I read about Solus I decided to give it a go, like it so far but the software repository is somewhat restricted ( I really miss Gthumb)
But anyway I boot Solus more than Debian lately .

BradHeff

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:06 pm

I bounced between Sabayon and Crunchbang/Bunsenlabs, a friend i worked with introduced me to linux and i always switched back and forwards between the 2. I never really found what i liked, i done a search for linux distro's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_L ... tributions and found it listed under debian-based. purely the name made me interested :) and i havent changed since. only downfall is skype but facebook messenger on the browser is a good alternative until then.

Keep up the good work guys :)

Justin
Development Team

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:46 pm

Until we get the full Skype client working the web version I've been told is alright https://web.skype.com/

Neruson

Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:54 am

I tend to stick to certain distros. Started using Linux back in 1998 in high school with Slackware. Switched to Red Hat and then later Fedora. For most of the last decade I've been alternating between Fedora and Arch Linux. Tried a few newer distros here and there since Gnome 3 came into existence. I hate the Gnome Shell. None of them made much of an impression on me until I found Fuduntu and when that Distro went belly up I found the original SolusOS back when it was based off of Debian. I really enjoyed it but it ended up going away. I guess my previous experience with SolusOS is what mainly led me here. That and the elegant simplicity of the Budgie Desktop. It's exactly what I've been looking for in a DE. :D
HP Pavilion X360 Convertible: Solus Project 1.1 Shannon
Acer C720 (ex) Chromebook: Solus Project 1.1 Shannon

wongs

Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:30 pm

Like the post above, I also enjoyed using Fuduntu and the old Debian-based Solus, until they were both discontinued.

I heard Ikey was working on an independent distro with a new desktop environment, and began to follow his progress.

At first, I got the impression that this was more an experiment by him to explore new ideas than something with a fixed target or look, so my intention was just to follow along on his journey with no expectations that there would indeed be an end product that could be productively used as a "proper" distro.

Right now, it's actually close but not 100% for my usage. Printing still doesn't work for me. My installation is a Solus 1.0 upgraded to 1.1 so I'm not sure if the issues from version 1.0 carried over to 1.1.

When I have time I'm going to have to try a fresh install of version 1.1 to see if printing is any better.

ruckus

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:46 pm

I first battled linux around 1997, probably RH 5.2 or maybe a similarly vintage SuSE distro. I think I installed every flavor of OS I could find back then, including the BSD variants, BeOS, QNX Neutrino, whatever I could find. I guess I came to Linux after being a Mac only person originally, and Windows was not very fun back then so the exploration began.

I eventually went back to Mac only due to audio and graphics software, then to Win7 because I actually kind of liked it. Recently the Linux bug hit again and i started exploring all manner of distros. A lot had changed, mostly for the better. I guess it went something like this: MInt / Elementary / Deepin / Xubuntu / KaOS / Antergos > Solus.

Solus is really beautiful, congrats on such a clean and usable project. I don't imagine I will be venturing elsewhere unless something insurmountable arises. I found most of what I wanted, Vivaldi / Chrome / Atom / Brackets / etc, and I am about to see if the Bitnami Nginx stack works for me.

Oh, I watched a Sunday with Solus and it was mentioned that neither one participating were designers, but whoever did this desktop is really talented. Usable out of the box, well done.

SirFrog

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:52 pm

It's pretty and in my experience it just works and it's pretty and simple and pretty. I'm able to do everything that I need a computer for (still trying to figure out how to get League of Legends working). You can consider me your average user with an interest in Linux. I came from Windows 10 and I don't plan on going back to Windows. I've been wanting an alternative for quite a long time now, but seeing as how I'm not experienced when it comes to Linux I'm quite happy with how smoothly this is going for me.

LinuxHippie

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Well, i've been a chronic distro hopper for years...I get bored quick and like the new and shiny. I alos really want to get involved with a project and have been looking for "the one" so to say.

I stumbled onto Solus a few weeks ago now..maybe even a little over a month ago. The even left a couple times already and am not satisfied and returned immediately.

The things I like.
  1. The team for now is small
  • The core developers are active on forums and IRC
  • The desktop is beautiful and simple
  • The community is friendly and very helpful
  • I feel I can grow with this community and be a productive member.
Oh yeah, and now and then it's fun to watch Ikey rant on IRC occasionaly.

Cheers

Michaelo

Mon May 30, 2016 3:07 am

I use Windows because I don't really have the option to switch ATM but every so often, I experiment with the main Linux distros hoping one day I can switch...

The distros that appealed aesthetically were often lacking in functionality, and those that had lots of functionality were more often than not lacking aesthetically or included some code I did not agree with... (this dilemma is probably what fuels Linux development)...

One this occasion I had decided to build my own Linux (from scratch), not that this was an ideal solution, it wasn't going to be easy but I needed to learn the operating system from the ground so I could tailor it to suit...

In the mean time "Solus" caught my eye and not just because it was an Irish word and identified as having an Irish origin (I'm Irish), but the approach of the Solus team to Linux was a breath of fresh air...

Now I didn't have to go through the painful exercise of building from scratch, I found something I could relate to...

The other major factor that attracted me to Solus was the exceptional friendly IRC experience... In the vast majority of software development channels you feel like a kid in school afraid to voice an option or ask a question... this is not true of #Solus... don't believe I have ever been on a friendlier IRC channel...

Also like the direction that Solus is going and the logic behind every decision...

Mike
Last edited by Michaelo on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chit-Chat”