joaojotta

Re: What drew you to Solus?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:31 pm

My migration to Solus was planned a long time ago and was only delayed because of Steam.
When Steam came I realized a few applications were missing for me so I delayed it a bit more.
Gaming on Solus was a great experience so I started (late October 2017) to dual between Arch and Solus (by dual I mean having two SSDs on my desktop) until I got my laptop, took it to work, spent nearly two hours trying to install my network printer without any success on Arch and Solus did it in 5 seconds once I pressed the "add printer" button. I was sold!!
Next I found a snap for the last piece of software I needed and my desktop was quickly booting into the Solus SSD first as well.

I must admit that there is a piece of software that I would like to have on Solus as well and that is the Cinnamon Desktop but, to be fair, Budgie can replace almost every single feature I needed from Cinnamon so all is well.

Solus is now my main OS and will soon replace both my media box as well as my media server box so 4 out of 4 machines in the house will run Solus.

Moilleadóir

Re: What drew you to Solus?

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:50 am

Not sure I’m fully ‘drawn’ as yet, but the immediate answer is ‘frustration’. Frustration with the compromises of using (and especially upgrading) LTS versions of Ubuntu. Frustration with the peculiarities of compiz and needing to reach for a tty or the reset button. I could go on.

I suppose you could also say ‘hope’. That unreasonable hope that a distribution will solve all your problems and not introduce you to any new ones; and maybe the reasonable hope that it will be just better.

The first computer I really used much was a friend’s Mac — I remember having lots of fun with HyperCard (allegedly created by Bill Atkinson after an LSD trip) and its scripting language HyperTalk. My first computer probably ran DOS 5. Windows 3.1 soon after followed by 3.11 and a dual boot with NT 3.1 (not that I had the hardware for it). Sometime in the 90s I had a go at installing Linux (probably from something like the discs below). It was probably Debian and I think I did it on a work computer, but the most I remember is that I failed to set up any useful resolution for X and gave up.

I kept using NT mainly (suffering Win95 for games) going from NT 4 to XP to Win7 to Win10. Somewhere along the way (Gutsy-Hardy 2008?) I started using Ubuntu as my main OS, but was drawn back to Windows by better software and after some upgrade problems. I still kept a server running Ubuntu though.

Window 10 destroying the partition table on my SSD (among other amusements) was what spurred me into using Ubuntu as an everyday OS again and 14.04 Trusty Tahr really did (mostly) live up to its name. Upgrading to 16.04.1 was not fun though and I still haven’t succeeded in doing it on one machine. Some performance issues lead me to experiment with other desktops (a dubious exercise on the same install), which just highlighted some of the staleness of a LTS release (Budgie Desktop for example had lots of problems). Xfce has proved very reliable though. With 18.04 on the horizon and the possibility of having to reinstall anyway, it seems like a good time to consider other options.

So now Solus is installed on an old HDD so I can boot it and also run it in a VM in Ubuntu. A proper install (on SSD) is still a scary prospect though. My Windows-created 100 MB EFI partition means I’d have to do a lot of shuffling data about and it might upset Windows 10. And then there’s software inertia…

Return to “General Chit-Chat”