Re: What drew you to Solus?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:31 pm

My migration to Solus was planned a long time ago and was only delayed because of Steam.
When Steam came I realized a few applications were missing for me so I delayed it a bit more.
Gaming on Solus was a great experience so I started (late October 2017) to dual between Arch and Solus (by dual I mean having two SSDs on my desktop) until I got my laptop, took it to work, spent nearly two hours trying to install my network printer without any success on Arch and Solus did it in 5 seconds once I pressed the "add printer" button. I was sold!!
Next I found a snap for the last piece of software I needed and my desktop was quickly booting into the Solus SSD first as well.

I must admit that there is a piece of software that I would like to have on Solus as well and that is the Cinnamon Desktop but, to be fair, Budgie can replace almost every single feature I needed from Cinnamon so all is well.

Solus is now my main OS and will soon replace both my media box as well as my media server box so 4 out of 4 machines in the house will run Solus.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:50 am

Not sure I’m fully ‘drawn’ as yet, but the immediate answer is ‘frustration’. Frustration with the compromises of using (and especially upgrading) LTS versions of Ubuntu. Frustration with the peculiarities of compiz and needing to reach for a tty or the reset button. I could go on.

I suppose you could also say ‘hope’. That unreasonable hope that a distribution will solve all your problems and not introduce you to any new ones; and maybe the reasonable hope that it will be just better.

The first computer I really used much was a friend’s Mac — I remember having lots of fun with HyperCard (allegedly created by Bill Atkinson after an LSD trip) and its scripting language HyperTalk. My first computer probably ran DOS 5. Windows 3.1 soon after followed by 3.11 and a dual boot with NT 3.1 (not that I had the hardware for it). Sometime in the 90s I had a go at installing Linux (probably from something like the discs below). It was probably Debian and I think I did it on a work computer, but the most I remember is that I failed to set up any useful resolution for X and gave up.

I kept using NT mainly (suffering Win95 for games) going from NT 4 to XP to Win7 to Win10. Somewhere along the way (Gutsy-Hardy 2008?) I started using Ubuntu as my main OS, but was drawn back to Windows by better software and after some upgrade problems. I still kept a server running Ubuntu though.

Window 10 destroying the partition table on my SSD (among other amusements) was what spurred me into using Ubuntu as an everyday OS again and 14.04 Trusty Tahr really did (mostly) live up to its name. Upgrading to 16.04.1 was not fun though and I still haven’t succeeded in doing it on one machine. Some performance issues lead me to experiment with other desktops (a dubious exercise on the same install), which just highlighted some of the staleness of a LTS release (Budgie Desktop for example had lots of problems). Xfce has proved very reliable though. With 18.04 on the horizon and the possibility of having to reinstall anyway, it seems like a good time to consider other options.

So now Solus is installed on an old HDD so I can boot it and also run it in a VM in Ubuntu. A proper install (on SSD) is still a scary prospect though. My Windows-created 100 MB EFI partition means I’d have to do a lot of shuffling data about and it might upset Windows 10. And then there’s software inertia…

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:34 pm

I prefer having up-to-date software (Even at the expense of some stability - any bugs I do find usually get fixed quicker & latest cool features), so I was looking for a rolling-release distro. I used Arch for a long while, loved the AUR, but didn't like the community or most people's attitude there. (Minimalism is great, but you're getting into extremes when you boot into a CLI by default, like c'mon.)

I looked at Void Linux, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and Solus... And Solus looked like the nicest option out of the three.

I heard about Solus, tried it in a virtual machine and then made switch from Arch to Solus ~1 month ago.
So far has been smooth-sailing and I'm loving it. c:

Happy to be aboard this ship and I like where it's going! :mrgreen:

Current desktop

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:54 am

I've already used Solus for a while, but out of curiosity went on a spree of distro hoppning (and not by using VM's mind you, to get the full experience of issues on my actual hardware and the true sense of their performance).

Fedora 27 KDE - The best KDE yet from what I can tell (sans the upcoming Solus KDE which I haven't tried). Feels more "KDE default", more confident, and less hipster/enthusiast than Manjaro which is a good thing. I think Fedora also hits a nice balance between stability and freshness with their release schedules. However, I ran into trouble with KMail soon enough (aka day f'ing one), which couldn't even be resolved by creating a new user account and reinstalling KMail. Jesus. Overall, KDE feels overly complex not for Fedora, but for the KDE team themselves. I hope Solus 4 KDE is going to keep it simple because I feel like KDE is demanding more than usual from the distro developers than usual desktop environments due to its complexity. Fedora KDE also had a nice looking theme applied, but it couldn't be completely restored if you temporarily changed to another theme and back again. Basically lost forever unless you went to manually edit/restore KDE core files. Huh. Again, maybe a victim of KDE's let's say technologically demanding customization.

Ubuntu MATE 17.10 - It's nice if you like the "good old days" but to me it's both a blessing and a curse. MATE has very well proven design with low resource requirements (read: fast on modern hardware), but the interface is heavily menu oriented and I think sometimes feels cluttered. Still, with some earlier so-so experiences with Xubuntu compared to Debian Xfce and a general distaste for GNOME 3, I think this is the only *buntu I'd be willing to use.

Manjaro KDE (and Arch Linux) - Yay, rolling! Right? It does feel Arch'y and of course it's always nice to be "in control" of even the details, but I've come to discover that these kinds of Linux distros often only transfer a labor of configurations to the user where the configurations are still always the same. Many of the "in control" advantages are illusions. For example, in Manjaro I for some reason had to set up my keymap to my Swedish layout. Yay, I'm in control here, so I will venture on this command line job to set "just the right" keymap for terminal windows! Or with Arch Linux itself; "Yay, I'm in control of configuring my Wifi so that it will auto-start with boot!" No. This isn't "being in control" in the good sense. At all. This is about manually doing what a script could do automatically and still add zero "cruft" to the end result. Manjaro had a bit of that, Arch even more so.

I still prefer Solus the most and plan to return to it soon enough. :) Maybe in time for Solus 4 which seems imminent anyway. Now I know a bit better what the grass is like on the other side anyway, and it's generally not that green. Solus has an especially attractive combination of stability, speed, and using rolling releases without all the bad things about some other distros being rolling.

Return to “General Chit-Chat”