matthw

Re: What drew you to Solus?

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:41 pm

I come from Ubuntu. Before that, I used Arch Linux more or less for 1 year and a half but I came back to Ubuntu because at that time I needed a more out of the box system. I used Ubuntu for a bit but I missed the rolling release system discovered on Arch which allowed me to have more updated packages (in particular a more updated DE). I tried to switch version every six month, but I didn't find it very practical (in my two upgrades I needed to fix some small problems and I needed to manually reactivate my third party ppa).

Then I decided to looking for a rolling release system, and I remember some YouTube videos about Solus. The first things which affected me was the Budgie DE, a light and simple DE like Xubuntu and Mate but at the same time more modern. Another think I liked was the Solus Software Center that I found more functional than Ubuntu Software.

Then I decided to try it and I found that it meet all my requirements for a linux distro.

Sauron

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:03 am

SteveRabbitbadger wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:53 am
Justin wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:36 am
SteveRabbitbadger wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:08 pm
Over the years I've used Manjaro, Fedora, SuSE, Ubuntu, Mac, Sun, Microsoft, Commodore, and Atari desktops. Solus is my favourite.
WAIT ATARI MADE A DESKTOP?!
LOL, yeah. It was TOS.
I loved my Atari ST back in the day. ;)

I've been a sporadic Linux user over the years, first settling on Mandrake way back when. Every couple of years I tend to give Linux a shot due to my frustrations with all things Microsoft, and generally being too poor to pay the Apple Tax. My forays into Linux almost always end in disappointment, due to various frustrations moving me reluctantly back to Windows. My most recent foray into Linux was a few years ago, where I used Ubuntu as my daily driver for a number of months. The only thing that drove me back to WIndows that time was my desire to play some WIndows-only games.

Just a couple of months ago I decided to give LInux another shot due to my neverending frustrations with Windows 10. Unfortunately, this happened just when Ubuntu announced it was ending support for Unity, the only Linux DE that I ever truly liked. However, I was seeing some mentions here and there of a relatively new distro called Solus that used a DE called Budgie, and had to give it a shot. I fell in love at first sight.

Hikky

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:08 am

Well...
Overall I started playing with Linux, cause I like programming and e.g. Ruby is buggy on Windows, so I chose Ubuntu since it's so well known. But Ubuntu was (and I think still is) slow so I decided that I don't like working with Linuxes and I stuck with Windows and C#. But then I found out about Rust.
Since Rust is being developed from and for Linuxes (mostly) I decided to make a switch. I was playing with Ubuntu (literally everything was freezing every 5 minutes or so), Debian (just don't like it), then Arch (too lazy to install everything by myself), then Manjaro (liked it), then Antergos and I liked Antergos the most since it's closer to Arch than Manjaro and I'm too lazy to install Arch by myself. But literally 1 week later I heard about Solus and that it has a rolling-release model so I started watching some YT videos on Solus (I also read on the official Solus website that it supports Rust and is "made for gamers" so that got me kinda excited) and after a day of checking it out, I decided to make a switch.

It all happened in 8 month period and I'm just 17.
“I don't want other people to mention my "self". Besides if I can be changed by a few words, then that wouldn't be my "self", would it?” -Hikigaya Hachiman

Bim2017

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:48 am

I watched a You tube video.
On this video was Ikey along with the guys from Ubuntu Mate and ElementaryOS.
Ikey made a lot of sense to me regarding his approach to Solus.
I was impressed and I had to get it in a machine and try it out.
I had enough spare parts around to put together a desk top, and I am very impressed.
cpu AMD 8370 8 core 4 gHz
32 gig memory
rx 460 4 gHz gpu

DNI_R

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:26 pm

I was just impressed by the attitude of the team and founder behind the OS. I also was drawn by the fact that Solus is not based on any existing distribution and that team tests and cares about the quality of packages distributed through the software center. Sure, there are some problems that i face, because i am really new to Linux world, but people at forums and reddit is a very friendly community so i am motivated to learn using Solus because it's not that hard to get some advice when needed. Keep up the good work Solus team!

Portreve

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:34 pm

I came to Solus as an existing GNU+Linux user. I was using (and loving) LinuxMint, and it's not that I don't still love it, but there were some issues with it that kind of pushed me over the edge once I bought an external 23" (58.4 cm) monitor. My box is a 2011 MacBook Pro 13", and it uses an integrated Intel graphics chipset. While driving the internal display is no big deal, trying to run Cinnamon (especially with LinuxMint beneath it) on the external kind of pushed things to the edge. I'd often get system slowdowns, sluggishness in moving windows around, and intermittently it would kick in these stupid processes designed to take up processor time with an enforced idle state (I guess this is an attempt at thermal control, probably the blame for which belongs with Intel) and that made it very difficult for me to keep using it. I certainly wasn't going to go back to just using the on-board display and give up using a good monitor I just spent money on.

Anyhow, without going further down the rabbit hole here, I had installed Budgie Desktop on LinuxMint, and it worked well enough, but I would still get issues with those enforced idle processes kicking in, and of course it really didn't resolve the other little niggling issues with LM, such as (to name just one) when you're using their Software Center, if you try to install too many things at once, it suddenly claims there's no network connection. It's almost like it quits talking to the TCP/IP stack or something (I really have no idea what the root of that issue is) and, as I said, other little things here and there.

I had watched some videos including a couple with Ikey, and the Solus project sounded really interesting. So, I grabbed the latest available ISO, flashed it to a flash drive, and ran that for a couple days, which was long enough for me to see it's decent enough to give it a go. My data is normally pretty well backed up, so I just backed up the few files that weren't already out of harm's way, nuked-n-paved my laptop, and that was almost a month ago.

Thus far, Solus has treated me fairly well. And, honestly, Budgie is a really slick affair.

I still only have one "significant" issue, and that's getting the Scribus AppImage of their 1.5.3 development version to work properly (it worked perfectly under LM/Cinnamon). However, I can live without that for the moment.

KerfufflyKitty

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I started using Linux (sporadically) in the year 2000 and have used most major distributions at one time or another, but I always end up returning to Debian. I will keep using it for servers but the development cycle isn't as good for the desktop experience (or maybe I'm just impatient :lol:). I am getting myself a new SSD for Christmas and the itch to try something new again drove me to DistroWatch where I found out about the Solus Project. An independent distribution is a really rare thing these days and it's even more rare for one to be as polished as Solus appears to be this early on or for one to focus on the user experience instead of just technical improvements.

I would have tried it just for the fact that it's independent alone, but I actually love where Solus is going right now and I'm very excited to test it out and hopefully contribute some as well. :)

gsleonard

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:39 pm

I guess what drew me to Solus was that I wanted to try something different and the urge to do something about a problem. I have been a Windows user from childhood to the present. What drove me farther to pick this distro was because I have a laptop that my grandparents gave me on my 18th birthday, and they weren't using it all that much anyway. It had Windows 8.1 as the OS, and I was doing fine with it for about a year or two. The story behind the HP15-039wm laptop and how it got to this point in the past is still a mystery to me to this very day.

It was about a few month ago on a Sunday, and I was working on some notes and studying for one of my classes for community college. I did not touch my laptop almost the entire day, until I needed it and that's where things went wrong. As I turned it on, the HP logo was up and booting and I got a black screen. I had to look up how to do a hard reset, and I had to do a factory reset on it (luckily I always backup my files on a USB stick just in case), and now it was running and responding slowly after that. I couldn't even pull the plug or else it would be slower. The next day, it was a little speeder for the first few days until on the 3rd or 4th day since the reset. The C: drive got corrupted, and I couldn't do anything but to turn it off, leave it be and think of something. During those months, asking my younger sibling to use their computer to work on homework or take a quiz, until I got an All-in-One PC desktop for my 20th birthday. I will always thank my parents for it, and I will take good care of it so it will last a long time. That was when I decided that I didn't want my laptop to sit there and collect dust like the last two. One was a Compaq CQ62-219wm I had back in either 2011 or 2012 with a broken screen, and the other was a Dell laptop that belonged to my mother from the mid to late 2000's with a missing battery. And so, I adventured onto the Internet to do some research. Looking up specs, video tutorials and reviews, and so on; and forth. And now, I'm here. I do like it so far, although I do hit some hiccups here and there. (I can't open LibreOffice and the FireFox browser now). I think that day made me care about my hardware a lot more than I did in the past. (I mean- I did still cared about my hardware to some degree back then, but not as much as I do nowadays).

EDIT: The Firefox and LibreOffice problem has been solved. I just had to update those two programs through the terminal. I find myself using the terminal more everyday, and I actually enjoy using it when it's needed. :D
Last edited by gsleonard on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

subrms

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:37 pm

i'm from Ubuntu and Fedora, and i'm still running Ubuntu and Solus. I decided to give its change to Solus because the project is very interesting to follow the evolution of a distribution like no other, since left a blank sheet. unfortunately I still have trouble with Bugdie being a user of Unity, I really like this desktop and I would like that Budgie be in the near future a complete desktop environment and beautiful like Mac, in short, which has its own identity and it starts well with Raven and the choice to go to QT I think ^^
Computer : ThinkPad T440
DE : Budgie
Kernel: 4.14.15-48.current
CPU: Intel i5-4300U (4) @ 2.900GHz
Memory: 3704MiB

Michiel

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:50 pm

Espionage724 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:05 pm
  • Budgie (I like it)
  • Performance (it's fast; start/shutdown times are the most significant thing I noticed, but even regular use is pretty snappy)
  • Package Manager (it's also fast)
  • Media playback out-the-box (no reliance on some large unofficial repo like Fedora and openSUSE)
  • Rolling (I like not having stale packages)
  • Not based on another distro (it's nice not seeing another Arch-with-a-GUI #3 or Ubuntu-clone-with-even-more-messy-packages #15 :p)
  • People involved with the project take time to respond to issues (not too many canned responses or RTFMs, from what I've seen so far anyway)
  • And most importantly... it works :)
I would like to thank Espionage724 for this nice summary, which almost completely sums up my WDYTS (shortened topic title) story.

I would only add two more things (well as I quote you there is just one left, because you indeed mentioned that apart from the boot time especially also the shutdown time is brilliant (and shocking when coming from years of openSUSE usage)!) not mentioned in all the 11 very worthwhile and enjoyable reading pages i this thread.

There was one subtle thing that drew me to Solus on top of the things mentioned above: pisi.

I guess at home I am meanwhile a linux (end)user for 10 if not 15 yeats now, I never use MS Windows for anything apart from at my work where I have to, but never at home.

I used RedHat (before Fedora) as very first distro but mainly numerous versions of SuSE, later openSUSE) but that was interrupted also by using another linux-from-scratch in those days, from Turkey, called Pardus Linux. I really did enjoy that distro, and it was actually the one to introduce the .pisi package format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardus_(o ... management

Some years later it fell apart, for people like me, living far away from Turley it all seemed a bit political driven and in the end little was left of an enthusiastic community. Thereafter went back to (again) openSUSE, actually up till now.

Have always used KDE as DE, and also I have never used Debian based distro's (don't ask why, just a sense / personal taste, no huge rationale behind) but just for the last year, although rockstable I was increasingly feeling fed up with both KDE and openSUSE, just too massive, too big. Possibly also having evolved for so many years, not that efficiently coded anymore?

Had a nice testdrive with Manjaro but like some others (my own fault or not, do not know) although a rolling release too easily broken for me unfortunately, nice look and feel though.

And then Solus came into view (and yes there was probably also some influence from watching the Distrowatch site from time to time).

Package format is really not the decisive thing to opt for one or another distro, but the flashback to good old pisi packaging days in Pardus Linux helped and has its charm for me, and from the start of using Solus, my feeling did not disappoint me.

Keep up the good work guys.

I also like that the devs sometimes really disagree with wishes or proposals (but then povide arguments to explain why), they know to follow their compass and stay on course, excellent.

The single choice I thusfar regret is the default scanning application that is provided.

I hope xsane frontend gets included soon, the default scanning app in Solus is fairly sober compared to what I am used to from xsane...but you can conclude that would not draw me away from Solus :)

Just for fun some old blogposts in Dutch (wow that was way back in 2009) about my Pardus Linux experiences those days:
http://parduslinuxgebruiker.blogspot.nl ... ardus.html (dutch)

and yes these releases were actually called "Pardus 2007, Pardus 2008, 2008.1, 2008.2 and Pardus 2009"
http://parduslinuxgebruiker.blogspot.nl ... oggen.html (dutch)

Thus... considerng that...I guess I can meanwhile definitely call myself a chronic linux end-user (know some basic CLI and programming stuff, but most of all have a lot of experience with just working with linux software (that included e.g. playing with GPS application/OSM editing, IDJC and Icecast webradio producing, playing around with maps editing in GIMP, looking for and finding numerous handy tools e.g. to merge PDF pages, video-editing with kdenlive etcetc last but not least edited my own PhD thesis fully in Linux in a format that indeed could be printed ;) ).

Return to “General Chit-Chat”