mainemike

Re: What drew you to Solus?

Mon May 15, 2017 4:16 am

I like the idea that it's designed for the desktop (or laptops the way they used to be). I love desktops! And the rolling updates. Also, that it was designed from scratch; is elegant, intuitive and, yes I must confess I can make it look like Windows 7. I can't help it, no matter how many times I try putting the panel on top, or on the left; or using an OSx layout like elementary, I just have this irresistible urge to put it on the bottom. and have a start menu that looks like a start menu. But that's just me...

Other systems I like: Ubuntu Mate and Zorin. I've used Mint, elementary, and Deepin as well, and have previewed Fedora, Linux Lite and Manjaro. One of the perils of Linux is that there are so many variants. It can be addicting to keep trying new ones. There is a certain exhilaration in doing so, but I hope I have settled at this point on Solus and M'ubuntu. (Zorin has issues with my computer). It's time to settle down, I'm not getting any younger...

Mercredi

Mon May 15, 2017 4:23 pm

I was a Windows seven user who disliked forcing to upgrade to 10. I already used some free and open sources softwares on Windows : Gimp, Inkscape, Open Office and Xampp. So i had a look on Linux and try several distributions with Virtual Box and finally choose to install Debian in dual boot with Windows.
6 months later I deleted Windows because I didn't use it anymore :lol:
Now I use Debian Testing on my every day computer.

When I searched a light os with recent softwares for my old laptop which is used less often, I have known Budgie in a thread on a French Debian forum. From Budgie I have known Solus, test it with KVM, like it and install :D
I had a little fear because Solus is a rolling-release and I often leave this laptop off for 15 days but updates works well and don't break anything.

gyphed

Tue May 16, 2017 12:26 pm

In one word: simplicity. All the other distros that I have tried over the last few years are really good - they have their own pluses and minuses. But this one is the first that makes it user friendly and not memory hungry like the others. Plus the boot time is incredible! Also the community here is very friendly and helpful - which is truly appreciated. And that are the main issues that made me move to Solus - or at least the ones that I can think of now. :lol:
This isn't Windows - thank heavens! :mrgreen:

laladen

Wed May 17, 2017 3:24 am

I wanted a community based delayed rolling release distro. There aren't many of those. I did not want to have to use the AUR with Manjaro. That left Solus.

Its fantastic!

nostos

Sun May 28, 2017 4:31 pm

I 've been through quite a few distros before I come up to Solus. Ubuntu, Peppermint,

Manjaro and Apricity just to mention a few.

What brought and kept me here is it has the killing combination of being rolling and

stable, it is intuitive from its installation all the way to its use and maintenance, it is fast

and it is beautiful among others.
Falun Dafa is good

Justin
Development Team

Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 am

Just thought I'd whack a post in to let you all know I am reading these, I just like coming back every few weeks and reading them to see what inspires people to use Solus. Keep the posts coming!

nostos

Tue May 30, 2017 2:13 am

Glad to know you 've been doing that!

However, I was sure that you would mate!!! :D
Falun Dafa is good

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Tue May 30, 2017 10:00 am

nostos wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 2:13 am
Glad to know you 've been doing that!

However, I was sure that you would mate!!! :D
Also reads all, but try to minimise my post count as it's getting a bit out of hand :lol:

astericks

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:16 pm

I was drawn to Solus because Windows 10 was too cluttered for me to work in and I thought it would be a lot easier to get work done with. (not really true though at the moment with so many things to do on my new installation :D )
i spelled it wrong on purpose

lafonga

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:31 pm

As a former Windows user I knew very little about Linux but it had always picked my curiosity. I also hate ads in general and Windows can be very invasive when it comes to advertisement. Adding the constant preaching of my brother in law about how wonderful Linux was in general, I decided to try a distro.

I started looking for a distro that was simple yet efficient. I wanted something I could play my games in and also cover the common home necessities. It was then that I stumbled on the article from this page: https://thishosting.rocks/best-linux-di ... or-gaming/

I do not know if the review makes the project justice. But the fact that it said Solus could be used for everything was very appealing to me. After that I did some research and decided to try it. So far, it has been a very good decision. Such a serious endeavour is inspiring and food for thought. Makes you want to be part of it in any possible way.

Finally, even though it would not have changed my decision there was also a presentation made by Bryan Lunduke which made me even more certain of making Solus my OS. I would like to share the link with you all, though you have probably seen it already. Here ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKeWTVYBUo

Return to “General Chit-Chat”