Andril

Re: What drew you to Solus?

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:39 am

Initially it was the simple, clean and Shiny AF look of Budgie and Raven, shortly after using the OS I was able to go day to day using Solus without going back to alternative OS. The development made it from scratch but it felt custom. And now Budgie updates are coming in and I couldn't be happier
User • Fan • Budgie User • Stable • Patreon Participant

Lorien

Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:34 am

The rolling release model with up to date software, a modern and clean looking desktop, the light and fast feeling of the OS, had almost everything i needed in the software center, last but not least Ikey and the team behind Solus.

Will91

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:38 am

First heard about Solus through my binge watching of new distros on Youtube. Instantly i was drawn to it, the design is literally everything i would want an OS to look like. I love that minimal and modern look. I knew i had to test it on a live usb. So i did.
Five minutes into playing around with it i clicked the install icon and didn't regret for a second wiping my entire HDD which Linux Mint had made home for over 2 years.
Install went very smoothly as i expected and it's only gotten better from there, been using Solus Mate now for about a week or so and i can't see myself ever changing distro again.I would like to thank the amazing team behind this OS for all the hard work they have done to make this look so polished, user friendly and lightning fast!

I can see this distro competing with the likes of Ubuntu before we no it. Onwards and upwards lads!

friTTe

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:00 am

Known Ikey from the net , Mint Debian etc etc.
So started following his work on Budgie and then Solus, had a laptop i wanted to use for Linux so downloaded and tried the Budgie version.
Installed without a hitch and everything just works.
Getting too old for hopping around and just want something that works and is fresh.

fatboy

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:23 pm

I am currently running Solus Budgie and Solus MATE.
What drew me here is the innovation Ikey and the team brings to Linux. They really are pushing the boundaries and are up to date with software releases and latest technologies available on Linux.

ariesz

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:08 pm

Fast booting? Check!

Simple and beautiful interface? Check!

Works out of the box? Check!

Great community support? Check!

Active development? Check!

Non-ubuntu distro? Check!

cphilip

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:41 am

I love the Fast booting. I have used peppermint, linuxlite, ubuntu mate, puppy, Lxle.

Solus is great in many ways but the best thing i love about it is the fast booting, fast booting , and fast booting.

mwbworld

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 pm

I'd heard many good things about Solus, but one of the things that i liked was hearing Ikey on different podcasts. He was somewhat cranky/grouchy in just the right way. A lot of folks on-line (and IRL) are that way, but most just complain to tear down what others will do while adding nothing, but there's a minority that do so because they not only have strong thought out beliefs in how things should be done - they will actual do the work to make a better product. It looked to me like he was the latter which is great trait in someone working in tech, IMHO.
- Michael

miqrojamie

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Lilith Valentine on GBATemp mentioned that it had a great community and that the Budgie desktop was nice, and she also stopped distribution hopping after starting with Solus. I decided to give it a go, wasn't hard to set up out of the box and it works really well! :D
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
https://www.miqrojamie.me.uk/

Scytale

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:34 am

From all of available Linux distros Solus fullfills all of my needs the best.
- Most recent MESA drivers for my RX460 which is very important to me because of gaming
- available SC-controller, Steam, Dolphin Emulator and Retroarch
- overall best performance in Steam-games and emulators
- curated rolling release
- stability (no matter what ubuntu DE i use, i get crashlogs all the time)

Return to “General Chit-Chat”