miqrojamie

Re: What drew you to Solus?

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:43 am

I was happy to see RetroArch in the official repositories with the latest version, too. Probably one of my most used pieces of software on the system besides HexChat and Firefox.
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
https://www.miqrojamie.me.uk/

Monster Manuel

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:40 am

I posted another thread that's being reviewed, but realize that much of what I said there applies here.

Though I've installed other distros like Puppy Linux and Elementary on my secondary machines, my Linux adventure went mostly like this:

Mandrake>Mandriva>Red_Hat>Ubuntu>Linux Mint>Manjaro>Solus.

The last bit was today. I think I'm home. Manjaro broke (my fault for changing permissions on the wrong stuff to try to get some Wine games working) last night and I needed to wipe the drive and install something new. I first tried Antergos and found that it would be a lot of work to get my system to the productivity level.

Then I went looking at YouTube videos for a new distro and was reminded of Solus. I had always enjoyed interviews I saw with Ikey, and decided to look further. I found that all of the programs I actually use were available for Solus, even the weird writing ones. Being a rolling release, I was sold. That's sort of out of order-I looked into software a bit before and a bit after booting the live system, but once I had booted it and it recognized all of my connected hardware, I knew I had to install it. So far I'm thrilled.

Solus (Budgie) seems like a clean and uncomplicated environment to get my creative work done. I like learning about Linux, but prefer not to have to to get my work done. Solus seems like it will be my distro for a long time.

maasal

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:26 pm

First thing when I tried it: Dog Sled Saga worked on Steam :D Didn't work on many other distros by default. The next things were stability, current packages, one application per function or slimness, good community.

I've used Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, Fedora, etc. and always there where some issues. For Ubuntu it might be amazon integration or weird bugs. With Fedora most things work but sometimes things break with new packages which is surprising given the massive infra they have. With Arch you have to double check too many things, otherwise maybe even superior to Solus, but too much maintenance for me. And Debian is old, or so unstable/unpolished with testing.

With Solus I first tried Budgie but I really like gnome when using a laptop so changed to Solus Gnome. I really did not have to do many configurations for everything to work. I knew someday I would find the ONE distro to use daily, this is it.

The only negative during a month of usage: I hate sailing due to having problems selling my boat, thus the logo is terrible ;) Well okay, I still need to figure out plymouth settings since I have full disk encryption the prompt for the password is kind of ugly.

M

SteveRabbitbadger

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:08 pm

I came to Solus through podcasts. Every Linux-oriented podcast seems to have mentioned how great Solus is this year. Ikey appeared on several podcasts, and recently in Chris Fisher's vlog.

Over the years I've used Manjaro, Fedora, SuSE, Ubuntu, Mac, Sun, Microsoft, Commodore, and Atari desktops. Solus is my favourite.

danielson

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:15 pm

As someone mentioned elsewhere, speed, speed and speed!

But... my need for speed is not as good if it weren't for:

Ikey's public involvement (huge plus).
General quick positive response on this forum is another.
Secure choice of software is another.

Cheers! ;)

(slowly weaning off Windows).

Justin
Development Team

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:36 am

SteveRabbitbadger wrote:
Over the years I've used Manjaro, Fedora, SuSE, Ubuntu, Mac, Sun, Microsoft, Commodore, and Atari desktops. Solus is my favourite.
WAIT ATARI MADE A DESKTOP?!

SteveRabbitbadger

Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:53 am

Justin wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:36 am
SteveRabbitbadger wrote:
WAIT ATARI MADE A DESKTOP?!
LOL, yeah. It was TOS.

CostanzaisWatching

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:51 pm

I used to change my laptop distro every few days (exhausting). There was always something deal-breaking for me in every distro I tried, and nothing felt like THE ONE.

Finding Solus was a god-send. I stumbled on Ubuntu Budgie first (so buggy), but fell in love with Raven and the Budgie DE. Solus was a natural next step. It's fantastic. So much better than anything else I've tried. I haven't distro-hopped since I started using it.

It's fast, easy to use, and the software center is A+. Couldn't ask for anything better.

philinix

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:43 am

I went with Linux Mint since Clem's first distro and installed it on all computers I met :D
I enjoyed this job but several weeks ago, I just wanted to find new horizon and especially a distribution built from scratch... The happy way to Solus, which is now the only OS on my pc. And I like it!!!
So for me up now... there is no way to Solus, Solus is the way :D :D :D
Clevo N240JU * Intel core i3-6100U * 8GB Crucial 1866MHz 1.35 V * SSD 120 Go M.2 * intel HD 520

spinnekop

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Budgie - installed it on Ubuntu after the switch to gnome in 17.10. Loved the interface so went the whole hog and installed Solus. Not looking back so far...

Return to “General Chit-Chat”