Justin
Development Team

What do you use Solus for?

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:55 am

Another in my "I want to know more about our users" series.

x-posted on G+ community here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JustinZobe ... JLMoe5YAhM

I'll start, I use it at work and at home, for gaming, watching movies/tv shows, Netflix and probably most important for you guys, making Solus. :D

GarethSOL

Re: What do you use Solus for?

Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:05 pm

Well, everything. Converted from Windows 10 pre-installed from manufacturer (Lenovo) to Solus.
This means, email. browsing, libre office, music, virtualized installs where needed with virtualbox, etc, etc.

No going back to windows, whacked the restore partition, so I am all in with Solus right now.
It was pretty seamless, hugely surprised so far, carried on where I left off with Windows.

BridouZ

Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:34 pm

Daily Desktop from the first day I installed Solus.

Office, Web Browsing, a little bit of gaming, Music and Video playing and I'm starting to dev a little. And I'm also on Solus because I want to know where Solus will go :)

bungeye

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:15 am

We use it for everything, work and play.

Bought 2 new laptops for work (we used to be all OSX) and we didn't want to develop on Win10 which came with them, so I looked for a Linux distro we could use. Was about to install Elementary when I found Solus, and was sold with the UI. The clincher was the rolling updates and latest kernel support (out hardware is new :D ). Only reason I've kept the Win10 partition is to use iTunes to sync podcasts to my iPod shuffle. When I have time I'll try and get that working with Rythymbox, but time poor ATM.

Great distro, we love it, particularly the minimalism, and the fact it "gets out of the way".

wintux

Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:36 am

Hello. I use it to lern more about linux and try to switch completly from win10 in the future. I like it fast and solus is the fastes distro I ever tried! That's it till now :D

nod@doxi

Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:25 am

Basically, for everything, i.e. entertaining, work and general home usage.

By work I mean programming and sysadmin things

KaynabX

Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:39 am

Hello people ! :D

I'm currently using solus on my school's laptop so it's mostly to develop in C :)
Laptop : HP Elitebook 840 G2
Processor : Intel Core i7-5600U @ 3.2GHz
Graphic Card : AMD Radeon R7 270MX
Operating System : Solus 1.2.1
Shell & Terminal : Fish & rxvt-unicode

Mike2468

Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:58 pm

For everything including gaming, from personal work to business work, and to follow its development, and because it's independent not based on anything (for ex. linux mint is based on ubuntu; ubuntu is based on debian; zorin OS is based on ubuntu...)

Sean Patterson

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:39 pm

Android app development. This is the one distro I've tried (tried so many) that runs Android Studio perfect straight out of the box. The emulator doesn't work on most other distros. I had to do a little tweaking to libsdtc++ to get the hardware acceleration on the emulator up, but other than that..works great.
Lead developer & owner - Bosson.Design

ckam03

Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:28 am

Everything! I use it for Programming, some Youtube, and soon to be music production when I get everything up and running.

Return to “General Chit-Chat”