tyler4

Re: What do you use Solus for?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:50 pm

Using it on my MacBook 8,3 as my daily driver. Wiped osx out completely since Solus was able to get the ati and thunderbolt working out of the box, although some suspend and backlight issues remain.

Ogis1975

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:45 pm

I use it for everyday computing :)

Adam.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:32 am

I used to use windows for gaming but I don't really have the time or interest for that like I used to so I only use solus and use it for learning C++, learning about linux in general and browsing the youtubes. I sometimes just look at it and just admire its beauty though :oops:

Aryvandaar

Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:45 pm

I use Solus on my secondary PC (my laptop) which I use for web browsing, instant messaging, watch film & tv series, play light games and work.

steveodom

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:48 am

I just installed it as a replacement for Linux Mint on an old laptop I got for free. I use it to write reports of meetings, create events, edit some html/CSS/ Javascript, watch films, brows the web,...
I have a gaming pc too and once I figured everything out about Solus, I'll probably install it on that one too.

I must say I'm surprised about the loading speed in Solus as opposed to windows or mint. ☺

centzon400

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:22 am

#1 preparing for the day when my 2012 Macbook Pro shits the bed.
#2 it has replaced my SO's win 10 on a rather low-specced Dell
#3 to breathe life into a Lenovo X201 that recently came my way

ryangorley

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:03 am

Using almost exclusively for work. I have it running on my studio tower and laptop. On both I'm spending my time largely on: Chrome, Blender, GIMP, Inkscape, Krita, Spotify, and VirtualBox. I have it running on an additional laptop and a tower at work, with similar use cases. One additional Solus laptop is used for bookkeeping running Chrome most of the time.

On our team we have a couple remaining Windows holdouts, and a MacOS guy. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to convince them to change. But between the Solus workstations, a couple Debian fileservers, an Ubuntu web server, and a Raspberry Pi, I have them outnumbered. :D

I'd love to see Solus become the go-to distro for the small FOSS creative community. The only real big barrier is the lack of CUDA support for Blender. I'm holding out for that to happen. I really don't want to have to use Ubuntu to push out renderings.
Managing partner at a FOSS-powered 3D rendering and web interaction studio. Marketing Team Organizer for Inkscape.

TeleSkope21

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:02 pm

presentation, documents, internet... and a little bit working with blender and gimp :D

presentation: prezi.com
documents: drive.google.de

so i can easily use microsoft word files and can work on different pc's on the same document without a usb drive...
for example... i can start a presentation at school and complete it at home... without an usb stick :D

yes and internet... youtube, amazon (prime video), browsergames...

ewhipp

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:20 pm

I use it for my general day-to-day.

I am a student who studies audio technology and computer science. For any real-time recording, I have to switch back to mac OS X because Pro Tools is simply not available for Linux.

However, I use Solus for everything else and it is much faster than OS X which blows my mind. Absolutely love using Solus, especially because it is so new and the possibilities for growth are so apparent. It has taught me more about compiling and the work that goes behind making a new (and good) Linux OS.

Sorry for going on at the end,
Erik

bakano

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:14 pm

I use Solus as my daily driver on work and personal laptops; I also have put it on my desktop at home for my wife (and sometimes me, when I'm trying to get Ethereum mining working lol) to use. I use it for internet browsing and research. I use it for notetaking and emails (Mozilla Thunderbird). I use it for learning about the Linux filesystem and customizing system files to make the OS work how I want it to!

This is by far the best distro I've used (out of Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch, and Solus), and I am happy to be here writing about it! :ugeek:

I would like to play games as well, but don't have too much time; any suggestions on which games play best with Solus and are the most fun? I prefer RPG, MMORPG, RTS, or MOBAs

-JMV

Return to “General Chit-Chat”