Gopher

Re: What do you use Solus for?

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:05 pm

I've got Solus installed on my main laptop, so I use it for everything I do on this machine. Web browsing, photo editing, communication... I also like to code for fun and discover different programming languages (Go's my favourite at the moment ;)).

northgrove

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Mostly browsing and coding (HTML+JS, Python, Go), including working against my Vultr instance.

I'd really like to migrate more towards Solus for my photography workflow. I think I'll make some tries here to get something going. Currently on Lightroom on Windows, but I'm really just using it as a photo library and for light editing. I don't have too high demands here, but the application needs to be fast and solid. I think I used darktable at some point some year ago, but had crashes. Maybe I'll give it another try, because there doesn't seem like too many options here (where library management and non-destructive editing is the focus). RawTherapee another option, but it seems like niched for RAW's which make up around 10-20% of my photos.

robotomo

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:47 pm

i just got it today, and so far it is my favourite linux distro.
i'm mainly going to use it for work, gmail etc. i am also going to start using it for school work (if my school even allows linux)

Justin
Development Team

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:54 pm

northgrove wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:15 pm
Mostly browsing and coding (HTML+JS, Python, Go), including working against my Vultr instance.

I'd really like to migrate more towards Solus for my photography workflow. I think I'll make some tries here to get something going. Currently on Lightroom on Windows, but I'm really just using it as a photo library and for light editing. I don't have too high demands here, but the application needs to be fast and solid. I think I used darktable at some point some year ago, but had crashes. Maybe I'll give it another try, because there doesn't seem like too many options here (where library management and non-destructive editing is the focus). RawTherapee another option, but it seems like niched for RAW's which make up around 10-20% of my photos.
Have a chat to John from Twisted Pixels Photography, he is a good friend of Ikey's who does all his photography work using open source tools!

canardbaguette

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi,

I have been using Solus on my desktop sporadically to work with a dual-boot with Win10 for gaming, for almost a year now I think.
I previously had an old laptop to work, I was using Debian with XFCE. But 3 months ago I bought a new shiny work laptop and I have been using Solus since then as my daily driver, living a dream :)
I mainly do development, using various IDEs, Software architecture design and sometimes VMs (for Docker and other hyped technos :D ).

I am really happy with Solus as a work distro.

DNI_R

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:43 am

I would love to use Solus as my main system and leave Windows for games and etc. I really like it, and i will probably stay with it if i find answers to my current problems: like tearing in videos and inability to find a good way to connect my exchange mail.

SubZ3ro

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:03 am

I use Solus in my work and at home. Very stable system that makes possible to enjoy multimedia/games/internet without any problem.

darknetmatrix

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:25 am

at home, for gaming, watching movies/tv shows, Netflix... the usual stuff and the only system on my hardware
linux user # 527315
I never lose. Either I win, or I learn.
Most computer problems are between the screen and the desk chair

matthw

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:39 pm

I use Solus mostly for development and study and sometime for web browsing.

Portreve

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:51 am

I use Solus for the same thing I used LinuxMint for: it's my daily-driver. Anything I do, whether personal or work-related, I do on it. My niggles and issues with Budgie notwithstanding, on the whole, I think it's a really good and for the most part pretty tight GNU+Linux distro. Budgie is much easier and kinder on my 2011 MacBook Pro's Intel graphics chipset when driving my external display than Cinnamon was, and I'm not getting the same (forget the exact name of the process) problems with it that I was starting to get on LM where there are these speed-killing idle processes that intermittently show up which cannot be killed except by rebooting.

I know Budgie is going to Qt with the next iteration, and I hope display and system performance doesn't get negatively impacted. I have a lot of faith in Ikey and his crack team so far based on all that I've seen, which is why I'm more excited than scared at the proposition.

I just can't wait to see what's coming next!

Return to “General Chit-Chat”