brent

Re: What is your prefered Solus DE

Fri May 12, 2017 12:49 am

Craig-toyoracer wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 5:08 am
Budgie for me :D

Simple, clean and beautiful.

ps. brent - to move the clock in Raven = Budgie settings->panel->Applets->highlight Clock->Up arrow moves it to the left.
Didn't have that option in Budgie last year. Could only nudge so far...but I believe that was remedied recently. This is good to know. It's the only thing I used Conky for (or was it a Gnome tweak tool I used??). Either way, thanks for that because I like to uninstall programs I don't use.

laladen

Wed May 17, 2017 3:29 am

I've used DE's enough to narrow it down to Gnome 3. It's the only DE I use. I don't hop back and forth. I'll occasionally install something in a VM to check out MATE or KDE.

pedroso

Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Budgie, because is clean, fast, fun to use. I will try Mate someday on my laptop, but in my main machine is Budgie.

mainemike

Wed May 17, 2017 9:01 pm

I'm liking Budgie. I have Mate on Ubuntu Mate (naturally), and that works well there. I tried Gnome 3 on Fedora, didn't care for it. Budgie is innovative, and easy to configure. It's working flawlessly on this older AMD dual core 64 bit Gateway, which has problems with some DE's, like Zorin. Although I thought I was done distro hopping when I installed M'Ubuntu, I find I'm spending all my time on Solus. Only time will tell if this is the distro I settle down with.

touchstone

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:47 am

Gnome. I prefer the keyboard centric usability. I can use dash-to-panel to move my favorite apps to the top panel. Then I use a menu editor to clean out unused menu entries so that when I view my non-favorite apps, I'm presented with a nice clean list.

Budgie is very nice as well. Just not as customizable. Nor does it have nearly as many keyboard shortcuts.

Blintok

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Been using Gnome for about 6 months. First when Debian 9 came out. Then on Fedora26. Now on Solus.
I am on Solus now instead of the other 2 because i wanted to be on the cutting edge but still stable.

The main thing i like about it is the dash to panel extension. I love that when you mouse over an open program in the toolbar
a mini window opens and if you mouse over the mini window it switches to full screen.

With dash to panel the desktop in neat and clutter free. Love the toolbar transparency in Gnome 3.26.

Justin
Development Team

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:26 am

I love all 3 Solus versions the same really, they all have their bits that I love.

GreenMartian

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 am

They're all nice, and appeal to different wants and/or needs. It can't be easy for a small team to maintain multiple flavors, although the choices will ultimately attract more users and patreons, helping the project growth.

Like the approach that Antergos does relative to their live DE installs. One image, choice of any DE.

I may dabble in the various spins, but always end up selecting the flagship of the project. For Solus, that is Budgie. It's where a majority of the development and resources are consumed. In my experience, including Solus, it's the spin that always performs the best. Mint & Cinnamon is another example. Many do Cinnamon, few do it better than Mint.

Recently, I installed Solus Mate and gave it a test run. It's nice, but my experience says it needs some bug attention from a DE-specific dev.

So, back to the flagship. Works great!

GM
:mrgreen:

philinix

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:28 am

Budgie for me, definitely. I love it ;)
Clevo N240JU * Intel core i3-6100U * 8GB Crucial 1866MHz 1.35 V * SSD 120 Go M.2 * intel HD 520

Justin
Development Team

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:55 am

GreenMartian wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 am
Recently, I installed Solus Mate and gave it a test run. It's nice, but my experience says it needs some bug attention from a DE-specific dev.
Bug attention? I am now working on maintaining the MATE version and would welcome any feedback to make it better. :)

Return to “General Chit-Chat”