dixeyk

Really dumb beginner question

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:48 am

I have been trying to use Terminal to install an app via snap. It's my understanding that this is doable and that I needed an Ubuntu One account to login to the Snap store. So, I went off and made a U1 account and every time I attempt to log in I get a message that the password is incorrect. I then go to U1 and log in and it works fine. I am a absolute beginner in the Linux world but I know I'm not getting the password wrong.

I was using THIS as a guide:
https://docs.snapcraft.io/core/usage

Is there some documentation that someone can recommend?

kyrios

Re: Really dumb beginner question

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:20 am

dixeyk wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:48 am
I have been trying to use Terminal to install an app via snap. It's my understanding that this is doable and that I needed an Ubuntu One account to login to the Snap store. So, I went off and made a U1 account and every time I attempt to log in I get a message that the password is incorrect. I then go to U1 and log in and it works fine. I am a absolute beginner in the Linux world but I know I'm not getting the password wrong.

I was using THIS as a guide:
https://docs.snapcraft.io/core/usage

Is there some documentation that someone can recommend?
It's not mandatory to have an account.
just do sudo snap install ....

Michiel

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Well logging in is not mandatory but does have some advantages.

I guess you mean the password given is incorrect in the Terminal?

Perhaps it's just that when you give the first command with sudo the first password you are to enter is your sudo/root password, after that it will ask for the Snap (Ubuntu Core) account, this password is being asked to you in the CLI (Terminal) including your emailadress with which you want to login.

Could it be that by mistake you entered your Ubuntu Core password first whereas the sudo/root password of your Solus OS is meant?

Example:

zandbelt@laptopsolus ~ $ sudo snap login myemailadress@whatever.com
Password: <enter your sudo/root/administraor privilges password here and hit Enter> (1)
Password of "myemailadress@whatever.com": <enter your Ubuntu Core/Snap store password here and hit Enter> (2)

Give it a try!

There are NO dumb beginner questions! I am still a beginner in many aspects despite being a linux home user for 15 years, you learn along the way and with help of kind linux users communities.

dixeyk

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Thank you both. I have since been able to use Terminal to without an account and it has been fine although I would still like to get it working using my account. I'll give it another go. Thanks again.

Return to “Other Questions”