Portreve

Issues with Scribus 1.5.3 in AppImage form...

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:46 pm

[NOTE TO MODS: I had originally posted about this in the Tutorials area, which I now realize is probably the wrong location. Please feel free to delete that thread as none of us really wants duplicative threads here. Thanks!]

I'm having difficulty with the AppImage release of Scribus 1.5.3 in Solus. I previously had this exact program installed in LinuxMint 18.2 and it ran perfectly.

The issue is that the menus don't display correctly. This takes two forms, the first of which which is that the menu labels are really not displayed with the normal sort of spacing you'd expect with the menubar of a program. The second is that none of the menus have any contents. Functions which have keyboard shortcuts (New, Open, Save, etc.) can be accessed, but that's it.

Given that this happened on a then-fresh installation of Solus, it's not like it was customized or tweaked in some way that would interfere. Re-"installing" of the program (one doesn't really install an AppImage in the conventional sense) by downloading another copy and setting it up has not resolved the issue, and to be honest, if there are other steps one could take, I have no idea what those might be.

Does anybody here have any suggestions or thoughts? Anyone with prior experience?

Thanks so much in advance!

Portreve

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Issues with Scribus 1.5.3 in AppImage form...

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:04 am

Portreve wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:46 pm
[NOTE TO MODS: I had originally posted about this in the Tutorials area, which I now realize is probably the wrong location. Please feel free to delete that thread as none of us really wants duplicative threads here. Thanks!]

I'm having difficulty with the AppImage release of Scribus 1.5.3 in Solus. I previously had this exact program installed in LinuxMint 18.2 and it ran perfectly.

The issue is that the menus don't display correctly. This takes two forms, the first of which which is that the menu labels are really not displayed with the normal sort of spacing you'd expect with the menubar of a program. The second is that none of the menus have any contents. Functions which have keyboard shortcuts (New, Open, Save, etc.) can be accessed, but that's it.

Given that this happened on a then-fresh installation of Solus, it's not like it was customized or tweaked in some way that would interfere. Re-"installing" of the program (one doesn't really install an AppImage in the conventional sense) by downloading another copy and setting it up has not resolved the issue, and to be honest, if there are other steps one could take, I have no idea what those might be.

Does anybody here have any suggestions or thoughts? Anyone with prior experience?

Thanks so much in advance!

Portreve
Is there any output when loading the appimage from the terminal?

It likely is built on an old stack, and since it uses system libs (so as you've found out it isn't universal) an old stack such as LM would be more compatible

Portreve

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:14 am

Hey sunnyflunk!
sunnyflunk wrote:

It likely is built on an old stack, and since it uses system libs (so as you've found out it isn't universal) an old stack such as LM would be more compatible
Uh... dunno. Let's see.

Code: Select all

QGtkStyle could not resolve GTK. Make sure you have installed the proper libraries.
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon ././././././././././share/scribus/icons/1_5_1/zeichen.png: File not found
QCommonStyle::drawComplexControl: Control 1 not handled
That's what I'm getting.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 am

Portreve wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:14 am
Hey sunnyflunk!
sunnyflunk wrote:

Uh... dunno. Let's see.

QGtkStyle could not resolve GTK. Make sure you have installed the proper libraries.
pathForIcon: Unable to load icon ././././././././././share/scribus/icons/1_5_1/zeichen.png: File not found
That's what I'm getting.
In the terminal run this before launching the appimage

unset QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME

Portreve

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:51 pm

sunnyflunk wrote:

No difference. Hmm...

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Portreve wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:51 pm
sunnyflunk wrote:

No difference. Hmm...
Then I would suggest focusing on the scribus included in Solus (since there are compatibility issues with a universal format), which is one I can actually fix/improve etc. Does the repo one work? Or just needs an update

Portreve

Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:36 pm

The one in the repos works perfectly.

solus_user

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:42 pm

Portreve wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:36 pm
The one in the repos works perfectly.
The one in the repos is version 1.4.6 tough. Version 1.5.3 is able to export to an PDF/X-4 file, which is essential for me.

I had the same issue with scribus 1.5.3. The panels may show no text, but they are there and functional.
If you manage to figure out and hit the position of the settings-entry in the files menu, it will open.
There you can select another theme. I chose "fusion". After that, scribus works fine – not with the native "Adapta" theme, but it's the "good-enough" solution for me. ;)

Greetings,
Daniel

Hardware: Asus N552VW | intel Core i7 6700HQ (6th Gen) | NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev a2) | Intel HD Graphics 530 (rev 06) | Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59) | Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)

kyrios

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:10 pm

solus_user wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:42 pm
The one in the repos is version 1.4.6 tough. Version 1.5.3 is able to export to an PDF/X-4 file, which is essential for me.

I had the same issue with scribus 1.5.3. The panels may show no text, but they are there and functional.
If you manage to figure out and hit the position of the settings-entry in the files menu, it will open.
There you can select another theme. I chose "fusion". After that, scribus works fine – not with the native "Adapta" theme, but it's the "good-enough" solution for me. ;)

Greetings,
Daniel
Do you know that you can request packages update with a justification (i.e: Version 1.5.3 is able to export to an PDF/X-4 file, which is essential for me) ? Just use the bug tracker link from my signature :)

solus_user

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:20 pm

kyrios wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:10 pm
Do you know that you can request packages update with a justification (i.e: Version 1.5.3 is able to export to an PDF/X-4 file, which is essential for me) ? Just use the bug tracker link from my signature :)
In fact I did not know that! I'm using solus for about a week now, slowly transitioning from my former ubuntu installation and registered to this forum just a few minutes ago.
Now, that's nice community work right there! :D
I'll take you up on that. ;)

Hardware: Asus N552VW | intel Core i7 6700HQ (6th Gen) | NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev a2) | Intel HD Graphics 530 (rev 06) | Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59) | Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)

Return to “Other Questions”