gsleonard

[SOLVED] Solus 3 Can't Boot- Long Story Short

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:52 pm

I have a problem with booting Solus 3 because of a few mishaps on my part. My laptop is a HP 15 f-000 series Notebook that's only 3 years old (f-039wm for the model type), and I installed Solus with no issues back a couple days ago via a bootable USB I created. I did a lot of researched about some of the different distros, how to set up the laptop to install one, and tried out a few in the VirtualBox to get a feel for them. The issue first started I when went to install "Other Updates" for bug fixes and the like; the other two (Required and Security) updated just fine yesterday. At first it was going smoothly with downloading the 227 partitions and went to installing them; until at about 146 of 227 that's where the Software Center window closed on its own and I couldn't open anything else. I restarted it and tried to boot either the current version or the alternate version, but all I got was a cursor and the screen flickering. Then, it wasn't a good idea to try to begin with but I did it anyway :oops: , I tried to reinstall Solus 3 and that failed. Now all I get is a blinking white "_" on the far upper left corner of the screen every time I turn it on. I'm stuck on trying to do a rescue boot for the system because I never tried something like that before, and I don't think have the necessary equipment to do a rescue boot partition related; I did look up the "Boot Rescue" page at the Help Center to start somewhere. If anyone has the answer, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by gsleonard on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

gsleonard

Re: Solus 3 Can't Boot- Long Story Short

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

UPDATE: Well, I fixed it. I found a thread that talked about an issue where the person installed it but it wouldn't boot up. One of the people's answer was to use "nomodeset" by pressing TAB, as Solus automatically booting, twice to put it in between "quite" and "splash", and proceed to installing it. I tried it and it worked. I'm good to go. I'm still a little worried about the "Other Updates" affecting my laptop again. It's one of the few laptops that won't eat my wallet to fix because of a broken screen or a missing battery, and it was gift from my grandparents because they weren't using it that much anything. On the bright side, I'm learning a little more about my laptop as I work on it. :D

EDIT: Here's the thread about the installer.
Last edited by gsleonard on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Justin
Development Team

Re: Solus 3 Can't Boot- Long Story Short

Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:30 am

Please mark your first post as [SOLVED] so others can find it and link to or paste any relevant information that helped solve the issue. :)

Return to “Other Questions”