brent

unimpressed with snap-I don't get it

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:34 am

Probably because I'm simply the internet/office/watch crap streaming- type demographic?

"Snap find XXXX"

Emptied my peabrain with this command.
Chromium or Brave are the browsers.....zzz.
No antivirus or scanners at all during multiple keyword searches,
Half the programs are already in the Solus repo.
A couple nifty hardware monitoring programs look cool.
A search for "security" leads to a bunch of self-described hack/stalk tools which seem unethical.
No temp file cleaners.
I don't feel cool enough for snap yet. Am I missing something?
Am reacting to 48 hours of toying with it, not making any definitive proclamations...

kyrios

Re: unimpressed with snap-I don't get it

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:47 am

brent wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:34 am
Probably because I'm simply the internet/office/watch crap streaming- type demographic?

"Snap find XXXX"

Emptied my peabrain with this command.
Chromium or Brave are the browsers.....zzz.
No antivirus or scanners at all during multiple keyword searches,
Half the programs are already in the Solus repo.
A couple nifty hardware monitoring programs look cool.
A search for "security" leads to a bunch of self-described hack/stalk tools which seem unethical.
No temp file cleaners.
I don't feel cool enough for snap yet. Am I missing something?
Am reacting to 48 hours of toying with it, not making any definitive proclamations...
Snaps will replace the current third party repository which contains +/v 40 pacakges vs currently 1200+ for the snaps.
Vendor can publish their applications as snap packages themselves this reduce the number of intermediate which means faster updates. The big advantage for Solus is that some vendors currently do only publish binaries and they often do it only in .deb or .rpm format (this is typically what we have in the 3rd party repository).
Since snaps are cross-distribution, there are much more different packagers this means the amount of available snaps keeps on growing
Solus isn't limited to snaps, it also supports Flatpaks and AppImages are also working, so if you don't find something in the main repository nor in the snap store, you might eventually find it as Flatpak or AppImage.

GERGE

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am

Beauty of Snap (or Flatpak, or Nix) is that you are now capable of installing apps in containers (not really but kinda) that are independent from your distribution. For example, if you are doing some mission-critical work on your computer but if you also want to run some modern apps for your own use, then you can simple use Nix or Snap to install them. Like if you are working on Red Hat Enterprise Workstation but want to use calibre, mpv, spotify or the like.

You can also use them for development versions of apps.

So, these are not things to use in place of your distribution's package repositories, but as a complimentary repository to it.

PS. Nix is awesome, it is fully distro-neutral and can work in userland, you should chek it.

brent

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:48 am

[/quote]

Snaps will replace the current third party repository which contains +/v 40 pacakges vs currently 1200+ for the snaps.
Vendor can publish their applications as snap packages themselves this reduce the number of intermediate which means faster updates. The big advantage for Solus is that some vendors currently do only publish binaries and they often do it only in .deb or .rpm format (this is typically what we have in the 3rd party repository).
Since snaps are cross-distribution, there are much more different packagers this means the amount of available snaps keeps on growing
Solus isn't limited to snaps, it also supports Flatpaks and AppImages are also working, so if you don't find something in the main repository nor in the snap store, you might eventually find it as Flatpak or AppImage.
[/quote]

I checked out your link, jiminy crickets. At the top of the page was an app called IKEY SAYS, Oh lordy, the man, the myth...is that the American equivalent of shaking the 8-ball to see the message on the bottom?
(If I did emojis I'd put a little yellow thing with the wink eye here.)

I understand that Solus is leaving the 3rd party repo to snap and that is efficient on your part.

My problem here is I trust Solus. If you don't want the responsibility of proprietary stuff, and you want to meet demand, Solus' stance is basically "here you go, use at your own risk."

I'm OK with this. Like I said, I trust Solus Devs and your advice, and I run a pretty clean system with Solus repo offerings. My big problem is SNAP programs, at least by reading the terminal, MAKES NO DISTINCTION in the comments between open source and proprietary. Even that Uapp link makes no distinction.

This is not necessarily a complaint made of security concerns (it half is). An analogy would be the (if you work on cars and trucks) preference to work with original parts vs aftermarket. Kind of petty, though on my part...that's what google is for. Kryios thanks for the great response.

brent

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:02 am

GERGE wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am
Beauty of Snap (or Flatpak, or Nix) is that you are now capable of installing apps in containers (not really but kinda) that are independent from your distribution. For example, if you are doing some mission-critical work on your computer but if you also want to run some modern apps for your own use, then you can simple use Nix or Snap to install them. Like if you are working on Red Hat Enterprise Workstation but want to use calibre, mpv, spotify or the like.

You can also use them for development versions of apps.

So, these are not things to use in place of your distribution's package repositories, but as a complimentary repository to it.

PS. Nix is awesome, it is fully distro-neutral and can work in userland, you should chek it.

Thanks GERGE for this great perspective that opened my mind a bit more. "So, these are not things to use in place of your distribution's package repositories, but as a complementary repository to it."------This is the key way I have to look at it.

Craig-toyoracer

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 am

Brent snap's operate differently from installed programs.

Here is the security info - https://docs.ubuntu.com/core/en/guides/intro/security

Return to “Other Questions”