brent

S.O.S.--top bar disappeared after updates

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:37 am

Helpless as far as launching apps or using terminal. Lucky I had an old qupzilla icon on desktop.

If I go the ctrl+alt+f2 route I have no control over screen size of pseudo-terminal (or whatever it is). So still non functioning.

I, too, had s..l...o..w updates today. Aborted several times. 71 packages. In 3.5 hours I got to 13 updates...clocking in at about 5 minutes per package, I used the stopwatch function of my phone. Libre packages clocked in at 15 mn per pack.

Reboots keep getting worse. System sluggish as heck. variety wallpapers disappeared, slow reboots.

My ISP may be very well to blame for the updates---but please give instructions on how to restore functionality (top bar).

Thanks to anyone chiming in.

Followup.
Adjusted screen settings manually. No change.

Right-clicked desktop and realized I did have a terminal.
Launched Software Center.
I think this is the problem:

Code: Select all

$ solus-sc
2 CPUs detected, restricting to 2 threads

(solus-sc:1758): As-WARNING **: com.github.cybre.budgie-haste-applet was of type addon but had no extends

(solus-sc:1758): As-WARNING **: com.github.cybre.budgie-screenshot-applet was of type addon but had no extends

(solus-sc:1758): As-WARNING **: com.github.danielpinto8zz6.budgie-calendar-applet.appdata.xml was of type addon but had no extends

(solus-sc:1758): As-WARNING **: com.github.yursan9.budgie-caffeine-applet was of type addon but had no extends

(solus-sc:1758): As-WARNING **: com.github.cybre.budgie-haste-applet was of type addon but had no extends

(solus-sc:1758): As-WARNING **: com.github.cybre.budgie-screenshot-applet was of type addon but had no extends

(solus-sc:1758): As-WARNING **: com.github.danielpinto8zz6.budgie-calendar-applet.appdata.xml was of type addon but had no extends

(solus-sc:1758): As-WARNING **: com.github.yursan9.budgie-caffeine-applet was of type addon but had no extends
How do do I restore this stuff? And why did it happen?

--thanks

Nobody11211

Re: S.O.S.--top bar disappeared after updates

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:20 am

brent wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:37 am
Helpless as far as launching apps or using terminal. Lucky I had an old qupzilla icon on desktop.

If I go the ctrl+alt+f2 route I have no control over screen size of pseudo-terminal (or whatever it is). So still non functioning.

I, too, had s..l...o..w updates today. Aborted several times. 71 packages. In 3.5 hours I got to 13 updates...clocking in at about 5 minutes per package, I used the stopwatch function of my phone. Libre packages clocked in at 15 mn per pack.

Reboots keep getting worse. System sluggish as heck. variety wallpapers disappeared, slow reboots.

My ISP may be very well to blame for the updates---but please give instructions on how to restore functionality (top bar).

Thanks to anyone chiming in.

Followup.
Adjusted screen settings manually. No change.

Right-clicked desktop and realized I did have a terminal.
Launched Software Center.
I think this is the problem:

$ solus-sc
2 CPUs detected, restricting to 2 threads

How do do I restore this stuff? And why did it happen?

--thanks
1) Are using the terminal to update? or the software center? If the latter, then change and use only the terminal. I would suggest first to:

sudo eopkg hs
to check the history of updates. Then, choose the number that represents an update you did before the big one from today:

sudo eopkg history -t number
What I wrote above works somehow like backup system for your pc. You can use it any time when you want to rollback the updates.

Then, run the updates only via the terminal. I still do not find the Solus Software Centre that stable... (not yet). Hope this will change in Solus 4.

2) You can also rebuild the database from terminal (sudo eopkg rdb) and then do a sudo eopkg up. Maybe this helps also.

brent

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:20 am

Nobody11211 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:20 am

1) Are using the terminal to update? or the software center? If the latter, then change and use only the terminal. I would suggest first to:

sudo eopkg hs
to check the history of updates. Then, choose the number that represents an update you did before the big one from today:

sudo eopkg history -t number
What I wrote above works somehow like backup system for your pc. You can use it any time when you want to rollback the updates.

Then, run the updates only via the terminal. I still do not find the Solus Software Centre that stable... (not yet). Hope this will change in Solus 4.

2) You can also rebuild the database from terminal (sudo eopkg rdb) and then do a sudo eopkg up. Maybe this helps also.
OH IRONY--I, too, have told several posters here that SC lacked for updates and terminal was where it's at. We're not at the irony yet, that's just coincidence. The irony is after alternating between SC and terminal the last 5 hours straight for updates, the SC was slightly faster. Never in my association with Solus has this been the case....any given Monday I suppose...

OK, thanks for the strategy. Did #2 first. No flags, all normal.

Am re-booting now, to rollback the updates.
Not sure I want to trial/error 71 updates to see what happens (this 5 hours cost plenty already), at least it's a starting point.

Saw dconf/budgie reset commands by ikey and justin to identical-scenario posters in the past, but they didn't work either. this last bit is for anyone suspicious I didn't investigate before posting. i have some pride, but not that much.

Nobody, thanks. Will report back later.
I did write a reply to you half hour ago and hit submit button but did not see it again. Nothing is working and nothing works well in Solus at this minute. Stuck in stuttery Qups since BUS errors prevent me from launching FF in the terminal (wth?) Exciting night...Rollback here I come.

kyrios

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 pm

Not sure I understand what you mean but if the top bar is the budgie panel, you can try this. It's never a good idea to reboot in the middle of the update process, even if it's awfully slow, if you can it's better to leave your computer turned on until all updates are applied.

brent

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:37 pm

kyrios wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 pm
It's never a good idea to reboot in the middle of the update process, even if it's awfully slow, if you can it's better to leave your computer turned on until all updates are applied.
Flames, went down in.
Doing a clean install shortly.

Kyrios: I am taking your words, and writing them on a gold-plated, laminated sticky note with gorilla glue adhesive, so I can make this my daily affirmation forever.

Writing to you from W7! Outsmarted myself this time, but as usual, that doesn't take me much effort..

Return to “Other Questions”