solus_user

Location services always on?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Is it possible, that the location services in Solus Budgie are always enabled even if they should be off?
If I open Gnome Clocks or Gnome Maps in Budgie they're apparantly able to use my current location even though I switched them off in the privacy settings and even in the dconf editor.

Software: Solus Budgie | NVidia proprietary drivers
Hardware: Asus N552VW | intel Core i7 6700HQ | NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] | Intel HD Graphics 530 | Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 | Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet

brent

Re: Location services always on?

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:09 am

System settings/date&time shows two internet 'on' connections for date and time. You must have one of them on.

I don't know what would happen if you turned them off. One of mine is on. I like a synched date and time.

I don't even think date&time is related to your question.

Solus has internal location tracking installed as most people do--and seems very practical that way. I'm naturally suspicious, like you, but methinks nothing sinister.
And sys-based geo tracking probably may or may not be part of your query.

When you Live installed you had to permanently (I think it's permanent) let the OS configure/file/remember/(whatever vernacular) your location, remember? You would have to do more than dconf to be invisible, but I'm no expert.

Once your non-vpn browser is up and running everyone knows where you are. Even some apps.

Not sure this helps, but my 2 cent perspective all the same.

Return to “Other Questions”