matzieq

Problem switching desktop environment

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi, first of all - this is my first post, so hello everyone. Second of all - I really like Solus, as everything seems to be just working out of the box and no matter what I type in the search box of the software center, it always seems to be able to find what I want. Third of all, I'm still a linux noob so please don't roll your eyes too much.

I have a weird problem with desktop environments. I like Budgie, but it seems to rev up my processor too much and make my laptop unnecessarily noisy, so I wanted to check out MATE. I installed it with

Code: Select all

sudo eopkg install -c desktop.mate
rebooted my machine and then, on the login screen, I was unable to select the environment without switching users as well. I have created two users in my system, and when I switched desktop, I also switched user, so I only could log in with Budgie, and my wife could only log in with MATE. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Seems very weird and I have no idea how to solve it. Should I just install MATE and remove Budgie? If so, how to do it without breaking anything?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Problem switching desktop environment

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:55 am

You should be able to login to any desktop with each user (whether that's recommended or not is a different story). The only issue I've seen so far is people not knowing how to choose the other desktop in the login screen.

Return to “Other Questions”