oompaloompa

Python now ``broken'' after software center upgraded from python3.5 to 3.6

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:03 pm

I believe last week software center upgraded my Python from 3.5 to 3.6 (python3.5 bin is removed from my /usr/bin, replaced by python3.6)
However, all my python 3.5 modules were not upgraded (were installed previously via pip). There are still all the old site-packages under /usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages (the python3.5 directory is otherwise empty). This seems like a waste of space..
Further, pip gave a bad-interpreter error when called. I had to reinstall pip via eopkg.

Is this normal behavior? Am I now to manually delete the python3.5/site-packages and reinstall the modules again using pip for python3.6? Is this a problem with the software center?

Thanks for your help! And let me know what debug messages I can provide.
-rg

kyrios

Re: Python now ``broken'' after software center upgraded from python3.5 to 3.6

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm

oompaloompa wrote:
I believe last week software center upgraded my Python from 3.5 to 3.6 (python3.5 bin is removed from my /usr/bin, replaced by python3.6)
However, all my python 3.5 modules were not upgraded (were installed previously via pip). There are still all the old site-packages under /usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages (the python3.5 directory is otherwise empty). This seems like a waste of space..
Further, pip gave a bad-interpreter error when called. I had to reinstall pip via eopkg.

Is this normal behavior? Am I now to manually delete the python3.5/site-packages and reinstall the modules again using pip for python3.6? Is this a problem with the software center?

Thanks for your help! And let me know what debug messages I can provide.
All the modules installed from the software center are automatically updated. Modules installed by other means like pip are not.
I can't really help you with pip since I never use it... Perhaps you can try something like "pip install PackageName --upgrade" ?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Python now ``broken'' after software center upgraded from python3.5 to 3.6

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:10 pm

oompaloompa wrote:
Is this normal behavior?
Yes, only repo provided packages can be updated, rebuilt and shipped together, Solus has no control over external libraries. There may be a simple method to reinstall them all, which would be required after every major python update

Return to “Other Questions”