erik.kubica

Too much packages for building from source is not included in eopkg

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Hello,

I am happy user of Solus, but i want to do some more linux-ish stuff like getting some sowftware from source, build it (actually Ginn or TouchEgg) but i always get before compile, configure,.. missing packages like libtouch, libdev anything. basically there is everywhere some missing package.

I know Solus focuses on "desktop" what ever that corresponds to. But it's still linux and it has to have developer tools, libraries available to give chance to add some own features to the os by building packages.

My question is there any "developer" repository or some other way to get packages that is not yet available from eopkg

thank you

---
Note: i have tried to search forum: build, build from source, source, from source.... but no results because too common words
UnicornPonny

msullivan

Re: Too much packages for building from source is not included in eopkg

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:59 pm

The best way to install the development tools is through eopkg. Use the command "sudo eopkg it -c system.devel" without the quotes to install them. Good luck!

Marty

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:01 pm

msullivan wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:59 pm
The best way to install the development tools is through eopkg. Use the command "sudo eopkg it -c system.devel" without the quotes to install them. Good luck!

Marty
Will also need the -devel version of any deps that the package requires to build against

erik.kubica

Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks.

I had system.devel installed from some previous post i have found on this forum. I am still cannot find / install these:

qmake
libx11-6 / libx11-6-devel
utouch / utouch-devel
libgeis-dev / libgeis-devel
libqt4-dev / libqt4-devel

or libldap2 / libldap2-dev / libldap2-devel for apache2 (don't know what else can missing since i have not get through this error).. etc.
UnicornPonny

ikey
Project Founder

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:05 pm

erik.kubica wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:43 pm
Thanks.

I had system.devel installed from some previous post i have found on this forum. I am still cannot find / install these:

qmake
libx11-6 / libx11-6-devel
utouch / utouch-devel
libgeis-dev / libgeis-devel
libqt4-dev / libqt4-devel

or libldap2 / libldap2-dev / libldap2-devel for apache2 (don't know what else can missing since i have not get through this error).. etc.
Those are Debian names. We have names like "libx11-devel" and "qt4-devel". "eopkg search" is helpful here :D

erik.kubica

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:49 am

oh. thanks i did not know that different distros has different package names. Also thanks for "search" option, i found some libraries. still no search result for utouch, qmake, libgeis/geis, x11 is here but x11-6 is not (i dont know whats the difference). I will need to live without these.

Thanks to all for replies it was educative, hope it will educative for other people too.
UnicornPonny

Adam.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:34 am

erik.kubica wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:49 am
oh. thanks i did not know that different distros has different package names. Also thanks for "search" option, i found some libraries. still no search result for utouch, qmake, libgeis/geis, x11 is here but x11-6 is not (i dont know whats the difference). I will need to live without these.

Thanks to all for replies it was educative, hope it will educative for other people too.

Code: Select all

sudo eopkg it qt5-base-devel
This will provide qmake. I don't see libgeis in there but You could try build and install it yourself from source.

You can also make a package request for any software not yet in solus' repos here, just remember to always search to check if it has already been requested: https://dev.solus-project.com/maniphest/

joshuarobison

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:20 pm

I want to just share the frustration of the original post. Developers are usually desktop users , so they tend to build OSes upon their desktop centric needs; while us touchscreen users get kind of kicked aside. Solus is not the only culprit but ...

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:18 pm

joshuarobison wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:20 pm
I want to just share the frustration of the original post. Developers are usually desktop users , so they tend to build OSes upon their desktop centric needs; while us touchscreen users get kind of kicked aside. Solus is not the only culprit but ...
If people haven't requested software to be added, then it definitely won't be included

joshuarobison

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:23 am

sunnyflunk wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:18 pm

If people haven't requested software to be added, then it definitely won't be included
It's kind of a chicken and the egg, I think. Neither will there be tablet users to request it, if the OS isn't tablet friendly to a degree in the first place.

But, here we are, tablet users who are making requests.

Return to “Other Questions”