lebjortvedt

clr-boot-manager questions

Sat May 13, 2017 9:35 am

Recently I experienced random system lockups at almost every login, and I finally found the issue - the UEFI partition was full, so I was probably not booting the right kernel because the boot loader wasn't updated.

I have tried to find more information on the questions below, but have been unable to find out:
  • How many kernel images are preserved in the UEFI partition?
  • How can I remove old images UEFI partition to prevent it for going full?
  • How can I rollback to another kernel? (I see this feature being mentioned a lot, but I cannot find any description of how it's done)

deepakkapoor23

Re: clr-boot-manager questions

Sun May 14, 2017 3:45 am

Hi - did you find an answer/solution to this?

lebjortvedt

Sun May 14, 2017 8:19 am

I mounted the UEFI partition and deleted some of the old kernel images manually.
Then I ran sudo clr-boot-manager update, and it ran withour errors. Everything has been fine since that :)

However, I would like to know the answers to the questions in my previous post to prevent this from happening again.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Sun May 14, 2017 12:38 pm

lebjortvedt wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:35 am
Recently I experienced random system lockups at almost every login, and I finally found the issue - the UEFI partition was full, so I was probably not booting the right kernel because the boot loader wasn't updated.

I have tried to find more information on the questions below, but have been unable to find out:
  • How many kernel images are preserved in the UEFI partition?
  • How can I remove old images UEFI partition to prevent it for going full?
  • How can I rollback to another kernel? (I see this feature being mentioned a lot, but I cannot find any description of how it's done)
- it retains the latest installed kernel, plus the current running kernel on updates
- there was a bug preventing the old kernels/initrds from being cleaned up (had been fixed). So you may have to mount the ESP and remove the existing older kernels, but not in future
- if you're on UEFI, you can spam space during boot to get the menu to show. On grub, the will be alternative boot options which has the older kernel (assuming you're using the Solus grub)

deepakkapoor23

Mon May 15, 2017 3:12 am

Thanks for your response. Does it clean up an old initrd first or install a new version first? I dont have space for a third one. Its not an issue now but may soon be in future. I also looked at the installer code, it only requires 60Mb to be free on ESP

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Mon May 15, 2017 5:21 am

deepakkapoor23 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 3:12 am
Thanks for your response. Does it clean up an old initrd first or install a new version first? I dont have space for a third one. Its not an issue now but may soon be in future. I also looked at the installer code, it only requires 60Mb to be free on ESP
It installs the new version first and only removes the older one if successful (It wouldn't really be sane to do it the other way). Perhaps that needs to be changed, I know the suggested size is 500MB for the ESP partition.

Return to “Other Questions”