brent

Leaving Qupzilla--a necessary breakup

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:45 am

Truly a light fast browser that collapsed on itself in my possession.
Not a novice here, but several problems spiraled out of control and could not be remedied after 6 months of exclusive use.

Shame, I liked it.

Install/reinstall/clean cache/etc--took good care of it but it could not do the same for me. Accepted all updates. Etc. Did not self-sabotage at all. Tmp files/cookies always maintained.

*Dictionary/spellcheck disappeared despite attempts (here) to fix it.
*Horrible time-stuttering developed. Always 20 seconds behind mouse clicks therefore freezing any plans.
*Some HOT KEY or other horror got activated (?) and anything typed in search/google searched stopped after 5 letters and froze. And entered itself without you having to press enter. Or took you down to the middle of search results page without anything near your whole search term being typed in. ALWAYS. Web browsing is very difficult.
*Lot's of time hangups. Sluggish.
*Adblock, even though activated, never worked in Qupzilla and does not work. All ads accepted in browser despite being on easylist/fanboy/etc.
*There's more but those are the constant ones.

Became massively un-enjoyable.

Believe it or not I'm not complaining or ranting. The solus team originally had a great browser in the repo, perfect (except for pretend adblock), quick, and light.

My scientific reason for blaming Qupzilla alone for its self-immolation? None of the behavior above has ever happened in any other browser. I've been living with FF for the last few days.

Writing for no other reason than to say 1) software wigging out is not a new thing for anyone and 2) It's quite possible I broke it, and 3) despite grumblings about repo limitations around here, I am grateful for the current browser choices and have adapted easily to FF.
Chronicled for posterity and/or my own sanity.

Evertson

Re: Leaving Qupzilla--a necessary breakup

Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:56 am

The same problems here. Qupzilla is a drama the last time.

Have a nice Christmas.

Greetings, Evertson.

kyrios

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:30 pm

Would be nice if you could compare with Qupzilla on another distro (perhaps in a virtual machine) to find out if (some of) the problems are on Qupzilla side or on Solus side. It is also always a good idea to check their bug tracker (they also list upstream bugs on this page).
Helping sorting out the problems you face is really important to get them fixed quicker !

Evertson

Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Hey Kyrios,

Today I did find out "something special". In Solus Gnome Qupzilla does NOT work. In Solus Budgie there is NO problem at all. And the other way around with Web (Epiphany).

Greetings and have a nice Christmas.

Evertson

kyrios

Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:10 pm

Evertson wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:44 pm
Hey Kyrios,

Today I did find out "something special". In Solus Gnome Qupzilla does NOT work. In Solus Budgie there is NO problem at all. And the other way around with Web (Epiphany).

Greetings and have a nice Christmas.

Evertson
Hi Evertson,
Thanks for the feedback.
When you have time, could you please launch the browser from a terminal (simply type qupzilla and press enter) ?
It might be caused by some missing dependencies on a specific DE. I think it's me who made the last update for QupZilla. I mainly use Budgie for packaging and I use MATE as my daily use desktop and I have to admit that I seldom use the gnome edition because I don't have enough disk space to keep tons on virtual machines.

Merry Christmas to you and your relatives too !

brent

Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Kyrios--
I just launched from terminal. Loaded 2 dependencies and nothing out of the ordinary, just a handful of these: ([16439:16462:1222/111257.341521:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(256)] GTK theme error: Theme directory 22x22@2x/actions of theme EvoPop has no size field).
Only have Budgie installed.

Also spent about 20 minutes at their bug tracker and saw none of my specific problems, not even the adblocker...

and thanks for your followup on this.

Evertson

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Hey Kyrios,

Installing Qupzilla via the Terminal does not work. Also Web (Epiphany) crashes all the time.

And again : Merry Christmas.

Greetings,

Evertson

Evertson

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Hey Kyrios,

Strange : when installing bookmarks from a gvdb file Web does crashes. When syncing with FF everything works smoothly. Strange, don't you think?

For the last time : merry christmas :D

Greetings,

Evertson

Evertson

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Hey Kyrios,

Problem with Qupzilla solved. I will report tomorrow.

Greetings,

Evertson

kyrios

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:49 pm

Good to hear the problem is solved, I'm curious to know how you fixed it.

There is an awaiting patch for qupzilla, but I don't seen any link between the changelog and the problems reported here : https://dev.solus-project.com/D1720

Return to “Testing”