linuxhelmet

Intel graphics screen tearing

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:05 am

I'm currently running the open source drivers for my laptop. The driver claims it is intel haswell mobile. I am using open drivers for an arch spin with the most current spin of Gnome3 as well. On Gnome3 I have no tearing issues. On Solus there is tearing. Is this due to outdated video drivers or is this due to something else like a wayland issue?

Irtokarkki

Re: Intel graphics screen tearing

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Anything? *bump*

SamDyer

Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:02 am

On some distributions of Linux people have to enable Vblank for intel , not sure if that is the case with Solus or if it's already enabled as i'm a new user using Nvidia.

Denkplage

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:42 pm

You can try this:

touch /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

write inside:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

linuxhelmet

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Super necro posting here but seeing as this is STILL a relevant issue I'm having may as well. Denkplage to clear things up the fix I believe your addressing requires the installation of xorg-driver-video-intel first and then using nano or editor of choice edit the file. Otherwise it just leads to a black screen where this method does not:

Access terminal
sudo eopkg install xorg-driver-video-intel
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
This creates a new file then enter the following:

Section "Device"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

Ctrl+O (save), Enter, Ctrl+X (exit)
Reboot

I tried this. However this does NOT fix my tearing issue. Now just to update this issue I'm still having issues with tearing on the first graphics mentioned and now my new laptop with the Intel® HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2) is having full screen tearing as well. So as a temporary fix I dug further into the issue.
My mini desktop with the intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 (Kaby Lake GT3e) is ALSO having full screen tearing issues hooked to my TV.
Heres what I tried. (Also this was and still is on Solus Budgie)

sudo eopkg install compton
started compton by clicking on the menu icon from the bar and it started.
Did NOT fix full screen tearing issue

sudo eopkg install kwin
I couldn't even begin to try and figure out how to replace it with the existing window manager. I also didn't know at the time the default wm.

Uninstalled mutter. Broke everything. DON'T do this.
Reinstalled mutter. Couldn't figure out how to restart wm to get into the session.
Reinstalled Solus...

sudo eopkg install compiz
compiz --replace
Also added
compiz --replace
as an autostart script under budgie desktop settings
Now normally I avoid compiz like the plague as I find it a resource hog...but suddenly it just worked...no more fullscreen tearing. Yay!
Except it took my wallpaper and gave me a black background instead. Fix it in compiz-settings-manager you say? I'd love to!
Except it won't start. At all. It gave me two errors in terminal. The first:
It was missing the package "gtk2-engine-murrine"
So I installed it.
sudo eopkg install gtk2-engine-murrine

The second:
ccsm
*** Error in `/usr/bin/python': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007f12e6aad0d8 ***
At this point I have no idea how to fix that ^^^

I dug around a little more and found that Solus is run with mutter and the budgie-wm package. Replacing either of these things seems to break stuff however. As far as I can tell compiz seems to rely on opengl to an extent. Maybe by having opengl the screen tearing is fixed? All I know is I'm currently running Solus budgie with no wallpaper option but also no fullscreen tearing. I guess you could say I'm tore on the matter. ;) Anyways I'll post up the bug thanks for the link testmonkey! Also any help from devs would be appreciated :)

aiwan

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:05 pm

I have this very same issue on fully up to date Solus:

Graphics: Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile version: 4.2 Mesa 17.3.3

As mentioned, Chrome works ok, only Firefox and youtube (and other video sites) experience tearing on full screen. Hope this receives some attention sooner than later.

As a new Solus user, is there some other place to vote for important bugs? Seems the forum credentials do not work at the bug tracker. https://dev.solus-project.com/T2267.

Thanks for great Distro anyway!

bwat47

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:14 am

linuxhelmet wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am
Super necro posting here but seeing as this is STILL a relevant issue I'm having may as well. Denkplage to clear things up the fix I believe your addressing requires the installation of xorg-driver-video-intel first and then using nano or editor of choice edit the file. Otherwise it just leads to a black screen where this method does not:

Access terminal
sudo eopkg install xorg-driver-video-intel
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
This creates a new file then enter the following:

Section "Device"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

Ctrl+O (save), Enter, Ctrl+X (exit)
Reboot

I tried this. However this does NOT fix my tearing issue. Now just to update this issue I'm still having issues with tearing on the first graphics mentioned and now my new laptop with the Intel® HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2) is having full screen tearing as well. So as a temporary fix I dug further into the issue.
My mini desktop with the intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 (Kaby Lake GT3e) is ALSO having full screen tearing issues hooked to my TV.
Heres what I tried. (Also this was and still is on Solus Budgie)

sudo eopkg install compton
started compton by clicking on the menu icon from the bar and it started.
Did NOT fix full screen tearing issue

sudo eopkg install kwin
I couldn't even begin to try and figure out how to replace it with the existing window manager. I also didn't know at the time the default wm.

Uninstalled mutter. Broke everything. DON'T do this.
Reinstalled mutter. Couldn't figure out how to restart wm to get into the session.
Reinstalled Solus...

sudo eopkg install compiz
compiz --replace
Also added
compiz --replace
as an autostart script under budgie desktop settings
Now normally I avoid compiz like the plague as I find it a resource hog...but suddenly it just worked...no more fullscreen tearing. Yay!
Except it took my wallpaper and gave me a black background instead. Fix it in compiz-settings-manager you say? I'd love to!
Except it won't start. At all. It gave me two errors in terminal. The first:
It was missing the package "gtk2-engine-murrine"
So I installed it.
sudo eopkg install gtk2-engine-murrine

The second:
ccsm
*** Error in `/usr/bin/python': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007f12e6aad0d8 ***
At this point I have no idea how to fix that ^^^

I dug around a little more and found that Solus is run with mutter and the budgie-wm package. Replacing either of these things seems to break stuff however. As far as I can tell compiz seems to rely on opengl to an extent. Maybe by having opengl the screen tearing is fixed? All I know is I'm currently running Solus budgie with no wallpaper option but also no fullscreen tearing. I guess you could say I'm tore on the matter. ;) Anyways I'll post up the bug thanks for the link testmonkey! Also any help from devs would be appreciated :)

Budgie already uses OpenGL compositing (mutter is an OpenGL compositor), and it shouldn't tear on intel graphics (for example I also have intel kaby lake and I get no tearing out of the box in budgie). Enabling tearfree in the intel driver is un-necessary (and adds extra overhead since you're already running an OpenGL compositor).

Are you getting tearing in budgie itself, e.g. when moving windows around?

Or are you just getting tearing in a specific application such as firefox or watching fullscreen video?

Firefox for some reason tears even when an OpenGL compositor is in use. You can get past that by enabling OpenGL hardware acceleration within firefox itself (about:config and set layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true)

If you use the default gnome-mpv video player, make sure to go into preferences and disable the Use Client Side Decoration option, as there's a known bug where this causes tearing: https://github.com/gnome-mpv/gnome-mpv/issues/232

aiwan

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:56 pm

bwat47,

Thanks for suggestions, I'm not linuxhelmet, but based on what I read we have the very same issue, on slightly different hardware. My laptop has Intel Ivy Bridge integrated graphics only, so I cannot test with other GPU.

Anyway answers to your question:
1) No tearing in budgie itself (when moving windows etc.)
2) So far I have found tearing in the latest Firefox in fullscreen only. VLC, Gnome-mpv as well as Chrome all play 1080p videos without any tearing or other issues. Also important to note that Firefox windowed (=not fullscreened) has no tearing.
3) Forcing layers.acceleration.force-enabled in FF about:config does not help. I have default settings otherwise, so FF has hardware acceleration enabled.

Before installing Solus Budgie I had 17.10 Ubuntu; and there was no tearing in Firefox there.

Hope this helps.

bwat47

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:20 am

aiwan wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:56 pm
bwat47,

Thanks for suggestions, I'm not linuxhelmet, but based on what I read we have the very same issue, on slightly different hardware. My laptop has Intel Ivy Bridge integrated graphics only, so I cannot test with other GPU.

Anyway answers to your question:
1) No tearing in budgie itself (when moving windows etc.)
2) So far I have found tearing in the latest Firefox in fullscreen only. VLC, Gnome-mpv as well as Chrome all play 1080p videos without any tearing or other issues. Also important to note that Firefox windowed (=not fullscreened) has no tearing.
3) Forcing layers.acceleration.force-enabled in FF about:config does not help. I have default settings otherwise, so FF has hardware acceleration enabled.

Before installing Solus Budgie I had 17.10 Ubuntu; and there was no tearing in Firefox there.

Hope this helps.
Try going into the budgie settings panel and check the box for "Disable undirection of windows"

This will make it so that budgie's compositing is always active, even for fullscreen windows. So if you don't get any tearing in budgie, disabling unredirection should relieve tearing in fullscreen windows

Return to “Testing”