Linux

Solus's default (modified) version of Firefox Quantum (Firefox 57) is crippled.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:38 am

I am a big fan of Mozilla's new Firefox Quantum (Firefox 57) and was surprised to discover that in Solus Linux, it is super slow and not nearly as responsive as it is in Debian, openSUSE, Arch Linux, or even Microsoft Windows. Indeed, Solus has made so many modifications that you cannot even change your privacy settings as some options are 'grayed out" and is bundled with so many language files, that I am surprised it even loads. On a new computer, this is a headache, I can only imagine what someone using older hardware must think.
I support open source. - Linux and Unix for my server needs. Linux for my desktop too.

Linux

Re: Solus's default (modified) version of Firefox Quantum (Firefox 57) is crippled.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:49 am

To clarify, I am talking about the one which comes pre-installed with Solus (not directly from Mozilla Firefox's website). It is only Solus's modified version which is preinstalled and updated through their package manager, which seems to be the problem.
I support open source. - Linux and Unix for my server needs. Linux for my desktop too.

Linux

Re: Solus's default (modified) version of Firefox Quantum (Firefox 57) is crippled.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:08 am

As this issue only seem to impact Solus Linux's native packages, I have already resolved my issue by abandoning Solus's package and using Mozilla's untouched package found on their site. https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/

kyrios

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Hello,

You're right, the shipped Firefox on Solus is abnormally slow. This being said, instead of complaining on multiple forums and social medias, especially when what you say is wrong, Solus hasn't made modifications many modifications (source is available here with version history), simply report the issue on the bug tracker so it will be investigated and fixed asap as it was done here.

PS: Also there is no need to reply to yourself, you can edit your post. ;)

Thanks !

Linux

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:33 pm

kyrios wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm
Hello,

You're right, the shipped Firefox on Solus is abnormally slow. This being said, instead of complaining on multiple forums and social medias, especially when what you say is wrong, Solus hasn't made modifications many modifications (source is available here with version history), simply report the issue on the bug tracker so it will be investigated and fixed asap as it was done here.

PS: Also there is no need to reply to yourself, you can edit your post. ;)

Thanks !
It is impossible for me to be wrong, if I am right about Firefox being slow only on Solus, since Firefox Quantum is inherently fast natively. How many modification is irreverent, what is relevant is you have made some which 1) impacts the performance 2) prevents you from changing the the privacy settings. As both are true, it is not possible for me to be wrong and you are in fact in error.

HellBorne

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Calm down and it's better to provide valuable feedback (i.e. logs, benchmarks, etc.). . This is free software, no one is your payroll.
As a courtesy to all users and keeping our forums tidy, please

* Mark your thread [Solved] if done (i.e. edit 1st post & prepend [Solved] in subject)
* Use [ code ] to paste your logs
* Use [ quote ] to cite relevant portions instead of quoting entire post

Linux

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:09 pm

HellBorne wrote:
Calm down and it's better to provide valuable feedback (i.e. logs, benchmarks, etc.). . This is free software, no one is your payroll.
I am calm. :) I am only just observing and commenting on my observations.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:39 am

Linux wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:09 pm
HellBorne wrote:
I am calm. :) I am only just observing and commenting on my observations.
You state 2 facts, which is great (more comparisons of performance stuff is great). Then you say 'Solus has made so many modifications', this is the part that is objected to as it's an assumption made due to the facts you have found.

A fundamental difference between the two versions is that as a distro, Solus provides debugging and hardening capabilities (this makes our version substantially safer to use), but it does impact on performance.

I would love to ignore all the security features and focus just on performance, but in reality that's not good for the user (whether the user understands that or not). It appears that one of FLAG differences has a large impact on firefox specifically. We are currently reviewing said flags and I will be analysing performance impacts of security features as broadly as I can.

Bouquins

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 pm

FF seems to run fast since the last update...am I wrong ?

kyrios

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 am

Bouquins wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 pm
FF seems to run fast since the last update...am I wrong ?
Yes and some more optimizations should still follow :D

Return to “Ideas”