retiform

Recover Solus after an interrupted update option.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:23 am

Acidently shut down while updating my system, and had to rebuild the repos, and reinstall stuff using tty, then reboot, so I login. This would be hard for a new user, so I recommend adding a button that does that stuff for them. Might be important as Solus is starting to gain ground on Mint as the newb distro.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Recover Solus after an interrupted update option.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:12 am

retiform wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:23 am
Acidently shut down while updating my system, and had to rebuild the repos, and reinstall stuff using tty, then reboot, so I login. This would be hard for a new user, so I recommend adding a button that does that stuff for them. Might be important as Solus is starting to gain ground on Mint as the newb distro.
Recovery options (and methods to prevent issues from happening to begin with) will be expanded over time

Dukuu

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 am

Can you please describe full sequence to recover system?

Pre-story: I've spent some time to make solus convenient to me, and than started updates via update manager.
While it was updating i was reading something and missed the moment when updating stopped. I rebooted, but those i expect to be updated were available another time. Several times more i started updates, and on some iteration after rebooted i couldn't enter the system. I does the following:
-boots till the login screen.
-cursor blinks several times (but i can't enter password, nothing happens on keys pressed) and than cursor hangs and that's it. Nothing can be done, only hard-reset.
-i've read i can use older boot option from boot menu, but both of them (4.13 and 4.14) behave the same
So can i recover my solus installation somehow?

if no, can i copy my settings somehow? So that i could reinstall solus and bring back all my stuff?
Thanks in forward for answer.

kyrios

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 am

Dukuu wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 am
Can you please describe full sequence to recover system?

Pre-story: I've spent some time to make solus convenient to me, and than started updates via update manager.
While it was updating i was reading something and missed the moment when updating stopped. I rebooted, but those i expect to be updated were available another time. Several times more i started updates, and on some iteration after rebooted i couldn't enter the system. I does the following:
-boots till the login screen.
-cursor blinks several times (but i can't enter password, nothing happens on keys pressed) and than cursor hangs and that's it. Nothing can be done, only hard-reset.
-i've read i can use older boot option from boot menu, but both of them (4.13 and 4.14) behave the same
So can i recover my solus installation somehow?

if no, can i copy my settings somehow? So that i could reinstall solus and bring back all my stuff?
Thanks in forward for answer.

Check the troubleshooting section of the help center. I guess all you need it there.

Dukuu

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 pm

kyrios wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 am
Check the troubleshooting section of the help center. I guess all you need it there.
Well, i surfed in troubleshooting, and didn't find my case there.
My system successfully reaches graphical login screen and hangs there.
Can you please point which exact part of support i have to follow?

kyrios

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Dukuu wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 pm
Well, i surfed in troubleshooting, and didn't find my case there.
My system successfully reaches graphical login screen and hangs there.
Can you please point which exact part of support i have to follow?

When you are on the login screen press CTRL-ALT-F1 to swith to TTY1 so you can login on the console then type

Code: Select all

sudo eopkg rdb
sudo eopkg up
sudo reboot
Hope it will help

retiform

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:07 pm

I just forced upgrades on everything + force database rebuild.

Return to “Ideas”