userx

install what is concidered standard base system stuff.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:38 pm

So I go this app that is looking for a font that is a standard Linux xorg font. But is no where to be found. not even in the repos. From what I've found on the internet about this is is usually package under the name such as xorg-fonts-misc , whereas the only xorg fonts available are two types of the same family.

Skimping on 'standard' packages is not always a good thing. It's not like someone is paying to have them on the system. they are free.
make it work then make it pretty, not the other way around. It should be more compatible with what is out there as far as the basic packages that are used for dependencies and looked for on most Linux/GNU systems when dealing with third party applications. But, here, I am talking about the xorg packaged fonts. not just one or two of them.

thanks

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: install what is concidered standard base system stuff.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:19 am

userx wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:38 pm
So I go this app that is looking for a font that is a standard Linux xorg font. But is no where to be found. not even in the repos. From what I've found on the internet about this is is usually package under the name such as xorg-fonts-misc , whereas the only xorg fonts available are two types of the same family.

Skimping on 'standard' packages is not always a good thing. It's not like someone is paying to have them on the system. they are free.
make it work then make it pretty, not the other way around. It should be more compatible with what is out there as far as the basic packages that are used for dependencies and looked for on most Linux/GNU systems when dealing with third party applications. But, here, I am talking about the xorg packaged fonts. not just one or two of them.

thanks
You may say 'standard' but it hasn't been needed for anything (and is not a very good font someone would want to use), so there hasn't been a need to add it to the repo.

Return to “Ideas”