messuped

New feature: native "Spotlight" clone from mac

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:03 am

Pretty much what the subject says, a native launcher with most or all of Apple's Spotlight capabilities

ovichiro

Re: New feature: native "Spotlight" clone from mac

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:18 am

There is an app called Albert in the repos. It has some of the features of Spotlight.
Don't know if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

KalinDimitrov

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:30 am

Can you post video of the feature ? I'm not big fan of apple and don't know what features apple os have

holbue

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm also looking for a spotlight-clone and want to share my thoughts and experience about this topic:

1.) The "original" Spotlight

Please see this video for a demonstration of basic capabilities and this video for some more advanced commands.

2.) Similar Tools / Clones

There are several Projects out there, which aim to provide similar functionality:

Albert (as already mentioned) Cerebro
  • Only other tool I know, that runs on Solus without building myself
  • Can be run on Solus via AppImage
  • A lot of issues and bugs, development not very active
  • Very nice integrations for many services and apps
  • Not very smooth (maybe because Electron-based?)
  • Multi-Platform
  • Seems to report Usage-Data, without opt-out (Boooh!!)
Zazu
  • Couldn't install it on Solus, therefore no experience
ULauncher
  • Couldn't install it on Solus, therefore no experience
Synapse
  • I tested it on Ubuntu last year
  • Never got warm with the UX
  • Not as powerful as Albert
Kupfer
  • My long time favorite back in my Ubuntu-Days
  • Development not very active since a year
  • Very great in speed, functionality and UX
  • The lack of a rich plugin-ecosystem was the only drawback.

3.) "Spotlight" by / for Solus?

Now, what all these tool lack:
  • A proper integration with the OS, considering UI, UX, and search-functionality!
I think a solution build by Solus and integrated with Budgie would be a very nice USP for the Solus project. I have lot's of ideas, how this integration could look like and how it could have major benefits over the existing tools. Just contact me, if someone is interested. However, it probably takes a lot of effort to implement such a solution...

KalinDimitrov

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:43 pm

look like gnome have the exact same feature

Evertson

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks for this information. "Albert" works perfect on my Solus Gnome.

Greetings,

Evertson

messuped

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Didn't have internet during my vacations, so I can tell what I'd be looking for. I knew about Albert (and even tried it) but found it lacking in many ways (performance and feature wise), hence the suggestion on including a native one made by the Solus team.

Some of the things I'd like to see (in comparison with Albert):

Organized search - if you look using a term which both files and applications have in common, the results given are all organized by type...What I mean by this is say I have a file named "calculations" and i have libre office installed, the search result for "calc" would have given me both calculations and libre office calc jammed in the same place. Now, this wouldn't be a problem as it is right now except:
1. search results are never this small (obviously, the shorter the term, the more "things" the search will turn up)
2. there isn't a consistent pattern with the results given...it seems to organize itself in a first come first served basis, instead of a category system (first would come apps, then files etc etc)
This is why I couldnt use albert for looking for anything other than apps (it would be chaotic)

Not launching properly - I used to launch Albert using Alt + F2 (which is how you launch the native run prompt and what I was accustomed to use) so I had to disable the default shortcut Solus had and attribute it to Albert...problem is sometimes Albert wouldnt respond and I had to re configure it to use it again, even tho Solus didn't seem to care a bit (because the normal run prompt was using the new shortcut I had given it with no problems). Also, when Albert did launch, it did so a little bit sluggish (bearing in mind I have a powerful desktop, so it wasn't a graphical performance issue)

These were the things I wished to see improved with a native version, because a search bar with an integration with the OS would probably function faster, and would give a more consistent experience. Of course I know this (if the Solus team even decides on doing) would be very far down the line, but it's nevertheless an idea I'd like to see implemented in a future version.

EDIT: I also was unable to ever run commands on it, it would simply ignore anything I'd type there, but perhaps that would be my fault somehow, not sure about that one.

Return to “Ideas”