KalinDimitrov

improve the forum

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:52 am

What solus mostly needed is strong community. Good designed forum can help a lot to achieve that.
As example I want to give manjaro forum (https://forum.manjaro.org/) which do what solus forum should do in my opinion.
In summary most attractive features of manjaro forum is
- option to like someone post/answer
- badges/prizes given for certain activities
- notifications for viewed or commented post (solus have something similar)

I also would add:
- option to add friends and private messaging
-Topic tags
- more granularity to support sub forum. Now most of the question is posted in "Other questions" which reduce the visibility of your questions (high turnover)
my suggestion is the following
rename "hardware" to "hardware and drivers"
add filed named "desktop environment" for problem associated with DE (tags should help you to make distinguishing between different DE)
add field named "packages" for problem associated with packages within solus repo
add field named "3th party packages" for problem associated with 3th party packages
add field named "external software" for problem associated with any software that not come from solus
add filed named "gaming" where people can discuss issues with games
- Easy way to make transition from forum to solus website and vice versa. Currently I want to open forum from website I must scroll a lot and if I'm newcomer I probably will not find it. Also I don't know way how to make transition from forum to website

brent

Re: improve the forum

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:43 am

"- option to like someone post/answer
- badges/prizes given for certain activities
- notifications for viewed or commented post (solus have something similar)

I also would add:
- option to add friends and private messaging
-Topic tags "

When/if Solus goes on this indulgent/popularity route, I am out of here, and will not let the door hit me in the ar*se, don't worry.
You can get your cliques, validation, and gangs at just about every site out there anymore....this would be encouraging a kind of toxicity that you find everywhere, in my humble opinion. Solus Forums staying business-like and polite with a nice dry humor is its biggest draw to me. Very few do it.
Just one man's opinion. And likewise, I respect yours. What you are suggesting is tried and true and familiar, I get it, but the outcome always seems the same.
Agree with you completely about revising these categories, however.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:42 am

Well what angle do you approach the forums from? (which determines what aspects are important) Or what are the goals of the community

- For Solus community to have somewhere to talk
- For support, i.e. needs people to use it to answer questions

It's likely that both goals are at odds with each other and from what I've seen to date, people tend to prefer other (non-forum) mediums to use

brent

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:55 am

sunnyflunk wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:42 am
Well what angle do you approach the forums from? (which determines what aspects are important) Or what are the goals of the community

- For Solus community to have somewhere to talk
- For support, i.e. needs people to use it to answer questions

It's likely that both goals are at odds with each other and from what I've seen to date, people tend to prefer other (non-forum) mediums to use
If that was to me, then this is what I got.

First, thanks for reminding me that the needs (you call them goals but apples and oranges) of the community are bigger than me. You get over 40 and you're like 'get off my lawn' or something. Guilty. But know your product, all the same, I concur.

Being on both sides of the fully cliqued-out emotive-enabled sites (from auto repair to music) I question its healthiness. Short-term rewards (emotional with shiny buttons and options) over long-term rewards (a healthy functioning system). I'm glad you see these two could be opposed. Never seen them rightly balanced. But I don't hang out in many places.

As to your priorities query, here is where I guess it is at now from observation:
1)Learn without asking (use forums solely as a resource/lurk)
2) Asking for help/remedies for immediate problems
(or switch 1 and 2)
2.5) Requests requests requests
3) Forum as resource for preventative problems (non-emergency) (maybe this is #1?)
3.5)Advice and input to mods
4) Pure friendly socializing--introduce/chit-chat, etc.
5) A place to feel a sense of community
6) Complete linuxing out---people executing and compiling and creating and inventing and coding far beyond my capabilities and sharing it (probably my favorite reading)
103) An actual Tutorial posted in Tutorials

Sunny you are wise beyond you years. Mods/Devs are always nice to me. There are 2-3 forum members I genuinely enjoy conversing/sharing with. But I DON'T NEED a thumbs up or thumbs down, or a like, or to be friended, or to be a private contact for private conversation (outside of detailed help), or an emoticon, or a voting right to judge others. Why not just tell them in public 'well done'? Genuine human contact is good enough for me without all the superficial bells and whistles.

That being said you are right. I could just cut and paste that last part and stick it my signature, and move onto the future.

My POV is probably is the dinosaur minority. But cheers to Solus for the privilege to be heard (thank you).

As for Forums, you can breach this phpBB status quo and still not sell out to the lowest common denominator (gimmicks balloons politics). You can re-invent the OS forum. You already re-invented the OS with the Solus OS and that's why I'm here.

Ciao, sorry for the babble, I know you got bigger fish to fry than forum aesthetics.

KalinDimitrov

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:18 pm

- thumb up is tool to say thank you without polluting the forum
- private messages are also tool to get information that is useful only to you without polluting the forum
- badges are all about gamification and there is nothing about emotions. This will keep users interested in forum usages and answer questions and make their own researches just to answer questions. This can lead to overall increase of knowledge of the community which is good. Stackoverflow use the exact same strategy and it is one of the most technical forum without emotions that you so much hate.
- keep calm. No one will take anything from you. I just propose tools that prove themself as useful for growing knowledgeable and helpful community.

ovichiro

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:44 pm

I concur with Kalin on at least some of the points. Stackoverflow is one of the most useful knowledge bases out there.
I took a short look at Manjaro's forum and it seems professional. Take out the "Like" button and everybody's happy :)

I'd also like to be able to search for the `nvidia` keyword on the Solus forum without being told it's too common of a word. The restriction makes the forum a lot less useful and increases the number of duplicate questions.

bayo

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:28 pm

ovichiro wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:44 pm

I'd also like to be able to search for the `nvidia` keyword on the Solus forum without being told it's too common of a word. The restriction makes the forum a lot less useful and increases the number of duplicate questions.
They try to avoid heavy load on the server - in my opinion an upgrade will cost $$$.
I'm using google Advanced search site or domain to search here when i get a message like this: "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: nvidia." The down side is that you don't get the very latest posts in a such a search.

Code: Select all

Laptop System: MSI GP72 2QE
UEFI [Legacy]
Quad core Intel Core i7-5700HQ
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 5600
Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M]
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5600 (Broadwell GT2)

danielson

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:45 pm

Personally, i would just like to have a darker background theme.

kyrios

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 pm

danielson wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:45 pm
Personally, i would just like to have a darker background theme.

danielson

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Not bad at all kyrios!
Think that would be less hard on the eyes.

Perhaps a few shades of grey in there for good measure?

Return to “Ideas”