_albatros

Website design - idea

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi all!

I came up with an idea for the website, just a suggestion. What if the homepage or the design emulates the Budgie Desktop, with a sidebar menu like Raven, task bar with sections name and icons, etc. As Budgie is one of the flagships of the project, I thought it could be a nice idea. But I don't know how realistic this is in terms of coding and web design.

I also want to say that the current design of the website is nice and clear and very easy to navigate. This post is just an idea in case any given day The Solus Project decides to change the website design.

neilneidrof

Re: Website design - idea

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:31 am

You must consult with some Website Designer or Web Page Designer, they can surely help you with this.

ryangorley

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:58 am

@_albatros It's an interesting idea. It's been my experience that some of those more experimental aesthetic treatments run into issues when you're trying to build the site to be responsive to different desktop and mobile screens. They just don't always work when the screen gets really narrow and tall.

I have been thinking about this too and wondering how the site could illustrate more of the Budgie experience on the home page. We've done some cool effects where you bind an animation to a page scroll. You've probably noticed such effects if you've ever visited an Apple product page and as you scroll down laptops open, screens change, etc. etc.

Where the Solus Project home page currently has an image of the Raven sidebar (still calling it that?), you could actually animate it in action. You have to be clever and conservative in how you do stuff like that because it can add to the file size of the page, but it is a great storytelling device.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your idea with another. Think of it like an amendment. :) I like the direction you're thinking.
Last edited by ryangorley on Fri May 19, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Managing partner at a FOSS-powered 3D rendering and web interaction studio. Marketing Team Organizer for Inkscape.

CCrews

Thu May 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Hey there! Website design is not easy as it seems to be. It takes a lot of effort to create a website with a best a layout. To start from scratch, firstly, place all your thoughts of web design on a paper. Design is about solving problems, and those problems can't be resolved through gradients or shadows but rather through a good layout and a clear hierarchy. Secondly, Before starting to design anything you need a proper grid. There are no valid excuses for starting without a grid – and if you don't, I can assure you, the design won't look as good. Thirdly, The simpler the structure of the site, the easier it is for users to navigate. Divide your website in layouts. These small but effective tips would help you out in creating a website with best layout.

SailorDan

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:00 am

Hi
I'm web developer I have skills, but don't have idea for a website. I can help you with that if you still want. Just send me a private message.

Rice10

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 am

Why don’t you get it done from a company? There are many designers that provide Child Care Website Design, clothing website designs, venues website designs and many more. There are some companies that also help in promoting and advertising the website later on.

Return to “Ideas”