DGMurdockIII

Re: better default file manager

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Polo look very nice only thing i dont like is that it has Donation only Features

Justin
Development Team

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:52 am

DGMurdockIII wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:24 pm
Polo look very nice only thing i dont like is that it has Donation only Features
The initial issues the OP had with nautilus have been long solved, I'm not sure why you're posting further suggestions?

jules

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Justin wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 am
By can't use caja what do you mean?
Why would you need to set a file manager as a default?
Caja is not showing in the applications menu, I've to start it from a terminal.
A default file manager should e.g. be used when opening stuff from the desktop: home, mounted partitions, ... now my desktop shortcut opens with dolphin and I do not know how to permanently set it to Caja or Nautilus. The settings are there for browser and other apps.

Anyway, thanks for the help, looks like the main problem was sitting in front of the keyboard.
Now that I know how to use Nautilus better and because I ran into theming issues with Dolphin when using the dark theme, I can stick with the default for the time being or fix the missing Caja shortcut.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:44 am

jules wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:37 pm
Justin wrote:
By can't use caja what do you mean?
Caja is not showing in the applications menu, I've to start it from a terminal.
A default file manager should e.g. be used when opening stuff from the desktop: home, mounted partitions, ... now my desktop shortcut opens with dolphin and I do not know how to permanently set it to Caja or Nautilus. The settings are there for browser and other apps.

Anyway, thanks for the help, looks like the main problem was sitting in front of the keyboard.
Now that I know how to use Nautilus better and because I ran into theming issues with Dolphin when using the dark theme, I can stick with the default for the time being or fix the missing Caja shortcut.
Uninstall dolphin would stop it opening in dolphin. Themeing changes would require a logout/login to have full effect.

ianp5a

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Justin wrote:
It would be the file manager that pops up when you insert a USB stick. Or your browser Downloads offers to "Open in File Manager" DigiKam and many other do this too.
In KDE, Default Applications lets you set a File manager just like you can set a default browser or email client.

Incidentally, (just so you know) the Dolphin File Manager from KDE has some very powerful functions that make it more useful than the Files one in Solus 3:
E.G. Split Screen lets you copy between folders. As I have the file manager always open on KDE I have a window with BOTH my working folder and a network folder or Downloads permanently open.
E.G. The Left panel can be set to have Tree Navigation AND Bookmarks AND devices all shown at the same time. No switching back and forth needed. People with large monitors can put their screen to good use and save clicking.

abracapocus

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:23 am

My request is for the option to select an alternate file manager under Default Applications.

There are multiple options for file managers in the Software Center, but as far as I can tell there is no option to replace the default with one of the alternatives if you prefer a consistent, exclusive file manager interaction.

The default Files is fine, and I'm getting used to it & appreciating its features, but there are qualities of Dolphin (for example) that make life easier. For me, those qualities include the split screen for folder comparisons and interactions (e.g., transferring downloaded audiobooks and ebooks to the micro-SD card from my phone); and the extensive customization options for appearance, access to tools (buttons...), and behavior.

I'm enjoying Budgie, but I do miss some aspects of the KDE environment, and I'm looking forward to the option on Solus (big thank you to the person working on it!).

For the record, I'm a Windows refugee who has tried Mint MATE, Mint Cinnamon, and Kubuntu over the last 6 years, prior to Solus. I understand the command line and I'm comfortable using it, but am not adept--I keep needing to look up command strings (sigh).

kyrios

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:32 pm

abracapocus wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:23 am
My request is for the option to select an alternate file manager under Default Applications.

There are multiple options for file managers in the Software Center, but as far as I can tell there is no option to replace the default with one of the alternatives if you prefer a consistent, exclusive file manager interaction.

The default Files is fine, and I'm getting used to it & appreciating its features, but there are qualities of Dolphin (for example) that make life easier. For me, those qualities include the split screen for folder comparisons and interactions (e.g., transferring downloaded audiobooks and ebooks to the micro-SD card from my phone); and the extensive customization options for appearance, access to tools (buttons...), and behavior.

I'm enjoying Budgie, but I do miss some aspects of the KDE environment, and I'm looking forward to the option on Solus (big thank you to the person working on it!).

For the record, I'm a Windows refugee who has tried Mint MATE, Mint Cinnamon, and Kubuntu over the last 6 years, prior to Solus. I understand the command line and I'm comfortable using it, but am not adept--I keep needing to look up command strings (sigh).
in MATE, you can use Preferred Applications -> System to select the file manager you want.

Moilleadóir

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:01 am

There’s this sort of thing for setting default mime handlers…

Code: Select all

xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory
or

gio mime inode/directory nemo.desktop

Check current setting…

xdg-mime query default inode/directory
or

gio mime inode/directory

BTW I just installed Caja in Solus Budgie 3 and had much the same problems, but I’ll post elsewhere.

silverfox

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:43 pm

DGMurdockIII wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:43 pm
here are two more i found

Dfilemanager - http://dfilemanager.sourceforge.net/

dfm - http://dfm.sourceforge.net/
It is quite pointless to search the net for random kind of file managers and to offer them without having any experience with them. Not that some experience will help much...

gimcrack

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:31 am

default file manager:
- failed to show hidden files
- failed to see the path of a mounted partition
- cannot go to /
I can see my hidden files, using the default file manger in Budgie. You just have to set it.

https://i.imgur.com/EvavQAr.png

I only have one partition on two SSD. But, I believe this is were to view them. + Other Location

https://i.imgur.com/PzWxgRZ.png

Same place to view the root /

https://i.imgur.com/H4gwTYL.png

Return to “Ideas”