miqrojamie

Pale Moon instead of Firefox

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:10 pm

Firefox is copying Chrome. A lot of people I know are switching to alternative web browsers, one of them being Pale Moon browser which is based on some of Firefox's code, although uses its own code since version 25.7.

Pale Moon has a lighter footprint than Firefox, and will continue to support the traditional extension interface that Firefox will drop in version 57 (FF is copying Chrome's extension style with FF57, a very unpopular decision with longtime FF users and developers). PM also has more flexibility in theme support, for instance.

It uses the Goanna rendering engine which is based on Gecko and is intended to supporting open web standards properly. By default Pale Moon identifies itself as Firefox and Gecko compatible so as not to break sites, as most sites render the same (the only issue I've had is with the web version of Skype).

Would be nice to include it in the repositories and maybe make it the default browser inside Solus.
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
https://www.miqrojamie.me.uk/

fatboy

Re: Pale Moon instead of Firefox

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:07 pm

I also use Palemoon, mostly as a secondary browser. Would like to see it in the repos :)

Justin
Development Team

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:54 am

I don't really see the benefit in Pale Moon, plus:
http://linux.palemoon.org/ wrote:Installation, uninstallation and upgrades are normally managed with the Pale Moon for Linux installer. However, you can also download Pale Moon for Linux as a bzipped tarball that can be extracted and run from any location on your system.

kyrios

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:11 am

Also:
miqrojamie wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:10 pm
Pale Moon has a lighter footprint than Firefox, and will continue to support the traditional extension interface that Firefox will drop in version 57 (FF is copying Chrome's extension style with FF57, a very unpopular decision with longtime FF users and developers). PM also has more flexibility in theme support, for instance.
What's the point of supporting dying extensions? Most developers won't look at them anymore after Firefox 57 and after the end of support of Firefox ESR 52, they will be definitely dead... If Pale Moon keeps them after this, it is certainly not a browser that I would advise to use !!!
I also wonder what is the future of Pale Moon... Geeko is getting old and obsolete and I really doubt that a single developer will be able to maintain and make evolve on the long term a browser + a web engine + thousands of extensions that won't be maintained anymore by their original developers !!!

miqrojamie

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:31 am

Hm, you do bring a good point there. x')
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
https://www.miqrojamie.me.uk/

TimApple

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:15 pm

I feel Firefox is a solid browser and anything they are bringing from Chrome is an improvement. It's important that the browser stay up to date with modern standards since most everything is done on the web now.

On a side note, my personal preference is VIvaldi for day to day stuff, but they are evil closed source monsters! - make a damn fine browser though. And for random surfing for places I've never been I use Brave.

Firefox is my fallback browser if a page isn't loading right..then I use it as an alternate.

yerbestpal

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:48 am

I'm seeing serious performance and speed boosts using Palemoon when compared to Firefox. I'm going to be using it as my default browser and I'm honestly shocked it's not in the repos.

GreenMartian

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:55 am

Admin - what about browser polling?

One of my pet peeves of small community distros, including Solus, is usually in the browser category where I always wonder whether a distro has anymore than a handful of users who use Gnome Web, Midori, etc.

Having choices is a wonderful option, but on a production machine, there's only a couple that render most websites with consistancy. Firefox, Chrome.

I'm envisioning benefits when I see choices in variants of the major players, whether it's FF Beta, Nightly, Waterfox, Cyberfox, Chromium, etc.

I'd bet there's a pretty good reason Ikey's running Chrome in a production capacity.

GM
:mrgreen:

Justin
Development Team

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:13 pm

Chromium is very close to being available in the repository, I've tested it personally and works quite well.

GreenMartian

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:16 am

Well, that's nice Justin.

The same or different from Chrome, it's a step in the right direction. Even if only a psychological difference, I've known folks who refuse to use Chrome, but will use Chromium. :?

Similarly as you've seen in a previous post, there are people who wish not use Firefox, but will use Pale Moon, Waterfox, etc. Again, maybe just something alternatively tuned that's not directly from Mozilla-ish. :o

Choices in the major browsers doesn't have to be voodoo taboo. :twisted:

GM
:mrgreen:

Return to “Ideas”